• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Karl Nicholas

AZGrizFan said:
What are Dorsey’s vitals? I know nothing about him....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd rated player in WA coming out of HS (56th rated forward in the nation). Played in 28 games for the Huskies averaging about 9 mins and 3 points. Racked up 9 on the Griz that year. He'll be a very good bsc player.

EverettGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

3rd rated player in WA coming out of HS (56th rated forward in the nation). Played in 28 games for the Huskies averaging about 9 mins and 3 points. Racked up 9 on the Griz that year. He'll be a very good bsc player.

Most of our Pac12 transfers looking for more playing time are. Is he gonna be healthy though?

alabamagrizzly said:
EverettGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Most of our Pac12 transfers looking for more playing time are. Is he gonna be healthy though?

The hip ailment required two surgeries. Dorsey has had the first surgery but not the second. He will not be medically cleared until being cleared for the second surgery, then recovering from said surgery.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
EverettGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

The hip ailment required two surgeries. Dorsey has had the first surgery but not the second. He will not be medically cleared until being cleared for the second surgery, then recovering from said surgery.
Is there any word on whether he will be given an extra year of eligibilty (medical hardship?)

GrizWhiz said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
EverettGriz said:

Is there any word on whether he will be given an extra year of eligibilty (medical hardship?)

If he’s missed two full years due to injury, it’s usually pretty cut and dry he’ll get a med hardship and sixth year.

It will be disappointing if Karl decides to move on. I really hope that's not the case. What I do hope is that everyone who returns this year starts working on next season starting today. Work on your shooting, work on your D, work on your endurance. Let's see how good this Griz team can be next year. Can't WAIT for next season!

alabamagrizzly said:
GrizWhiz said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
alabamagrizzly said:

If he’s missed two full years due to injury, it’s usually pretty cut and dry he’ll get a med hardship and sixth year.
He's only missed one year due to injury though. :?

GrizWhiz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
GrizWhiz said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Then no. If one of his two years missed is due to RSing, then it’s by his choice, wether it by transferring or just sitting for development. The rule is the player must miss two full years due to circumstances out of his control. It’s designed to make sure every athlete has the opportunity to be eligible to play four years.

GrizPony said:
GrizWhiz said:
GrizPony said:
Back on topic: Karl should stay and yes he was frustrated.
"Should stay" as in you think he is staying or you would like him to stay? :?

I think he was on the fence but is now committed to staying. ;)

I certainly hope so as he's got huge potential. Any Competitor wants to play...but also should be able to see the shortcomings that have them on the bench...free throws, defense, etc. That's what you work on, and then you become the breakout star that coach can't keep off the court. Just my opinion.

alabamagrizzly said:
GrizWhiz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
GrizWhiz said:

Then no. If one of his two years missed is due to RSing, then it’s by his choice, wether it by transferring or just sitting for development. The rule is the player must miss two full years due to circumstances out of his control. It’s designed to make sure every athlete has the opportunity to be eligible to play four years.

It's not exactly like that, as I've done my fair share of medical paperwork for the hardships. It's much less cut and dry and the NCAA doesn't make any of it easy, believe me. Generally it's a bit more difficult to get approval with previous redshirts. I know nothing of this situation so cannot comment, but I agree most likely he will play 1 year for the Griz if healthy.

AZDoc said:
alabamagrizzly said:
GrizWhiz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

It's not exactly like that, as I've done my fair share of medical paperwork for the hardships. It's much less cut and dry and the NCAA doesn't make any of it easy, believe me. Generally it's a bit more difficult to get approval with previous redshirts. I know nothing of this situation so cannot comment, but I agree most likely he will play 1 year for the Griz if healthy.

Agreed, nothing with the NCAA is cut and dry and they can and have certainly messed a lot of stuff up. As far as seeking a 6th year of eligibility though, I have not heard of a situation where a player had missed atleast two years due to unforeseen circumstances and been denied. Here’s most of the rule.

12.8.1.5 Five-Year Rule Waiver. The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or its designated committee,
by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting, may approve waivers of the five-year rule as
it deems appropriate. (Revised: 7/30/10, 7/31/14)
12.8.1.5.1 Waiver Criteria. A waiver of the five-year period of eligibility is designed to provide a studentathlete
with the opportunity to participate in four seasons of intercollegiate competition within a five-year
period. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control
of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate
for more than one season in his or her sport within the five-year period. The Committee on Student-Athlete
Reinstatement reserves the right to review requests that do not meet the more-than-one-year criteria.

12.8.1.5.1.1 Circumstances Beyond Control. Circumstances considered to be beyond the control
of the student-athlete or the institution and do not cause a participation opportunity to be used
shall include, but are not limited to, the following: (Adopted: 8/10/94, Revised: 10/12/95, 7/30/10,
7/31/14)
(a) Situations clearly supported by contemporaneous medical documentation, which states that a
student-athlete is unable to participate in intercollegiate competition as a result of incapacitating
physical or mental circumstances;
There’s like 10 other possible situations listed but this was already too much to copy and paste. :D

Here’s a link to the article I found it in.
https://borderingonwisdom.wordpress.com/2016/06/23/ncaa-6th-year-of-eligibility/

AllWeatherFan said:
Did Travis do something to get in TD's dawghouse? I initially thought maybe he was injured or something.

Not sure about Travis, but Karl might have done something. :lol: :thumb:

I think it was a matter of being inconsistent on defense, and terrible FT shooting.

mtgrizrule said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Did Travis do something to get in TD's dawghouse? I initially thought maybe he was injured or something.

Not sure about Travis, but Karl might have done something. :lol: :thumb:

I think it was a matter of being inconsistent on defense, and terrible FT shooting.

My editor is on vacation! :lol:

alabamagrizzly said:
AZDoc said:
alabamagrizzly said:
GrizWhiz said:

Agreed, nothing with the NCAA is cut and dry and they can and have certainly messed a lot of stuff up. As far as seeking a 6th year of eligibility though, I have not heard of a situation where a player had missed atleast two years due to unforeseen circumstances and been denied. Here’s most of the rule.

12.8.1.5 Five-Year Rule Waiver. The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or its designated committee,
by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting, may approve waivers of the five-year rule as
it deems appropriate. (Revised: 7/30/10, 7/31/14)
12.8.1.5.1 Waiver Criteria. A waiver of the five-year period of eligibility is designed to provide a studentathlete
with the opportunity to participate in four seasons of intercollegiate competition within a five-year
period. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control
of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate
for more than one season in his or her sport within the five-year period. The Committee on Student-Athlete
Reinstatement reserves the right to review requests that do not meet the more-than-one-year criteria.

12.8.1.5.1.1 Circumstances Beyond Control. Circumstances considered to be beyond the control
of the student-athlete or the institution and do not cause a participation opportunity to be used
shall include, but are not limited to, the following: (Adopted: 8/10/94, Revised: 10/12/95, 7/30/10,
7/31/14)
(a) Situations clearly supported by contemporaneous medical documentation, which states that a
student-athlete is unable to participate in intercollegiate competition as a result of incapacitating
physical or mental circumstances;
There’s like 10 other possible situations listed but this was already too much to copy and paste. :D

Here’s a link to the article I found it in.
https://borderingonwisdom.wordpress.com/2016/06/23/ncaa-6th-year-of-eligibility/
I haven't heard of a case where's someone misses two years due to injury and does not get another year. But there have been many cases where someone gets a 6th year after missing one. The NCAA is nuts

Back