• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Intelligentsia putting academia on notice.

I wonder if UM has considered what North Dakota did to attract more students. From what I understand, UND gives in state tuition levels to students from Minnesota,Manitoba, and a couple of other geographically contingent areas. I think that would be an attraction for some out of state kids. And, why not, as an empty desk means loss of revenue when it could be filled with someone who could benefit the U and the state? Changing the chairs on the ship don't keep it from sinking.

GrizLA said:
I wonder if UM has considered what North Dakota did to attract more students. From what I understand, UND gives in state tuition levels to students from Minnesota,Manitoba, and a couple of other geographically contingent areas. I think that would be an attraction for some out of state kids. And, why not, as an empty desk means loss of revenue when it could be filled with someone who could benefit the U and the state? Changing the chairs on the ship don't keep it from sinking.

A program like this exists already. I forget the name but I believe Idaho and Washington students are able to get in state here?

It’s interesting watching this while budget thing play out while a member of the computer science department. CS is thriving, we added 2 tenured tracks and 1 lecturer in the last year. The enrollment is up for us, yet we get little love and recognition from the university. Maybe the university should be more interested in profitable programs

Eriul said:
GrizLA said:

A program like this exists already. I forget the name but I believe Idaho and Washington students are able to get in state here?

It’s interesting watching this while budget thing play out while a member of the computer science department. CS is thriving, we added 2 tenured tracks and 1 lecturer in the last year. The enrollment is up for us, yet we get little love and recognition from the university. Maybe the university should be more interested in profitable programs

i went from montana to a pac-10 school at in-state rates via the national student exchange, although it was at least a little bit competitive, i.e. you had to have good grades and professor recommendations. i think this program still exists.

Eriul said:
GrizLA said:

CS, IT, and Cyber Security and programs like them...UM should immediately quadruple the capacity in these areas. It would require equal or deeper divestiture of other programs - in their entirety.

Eriul said:
GrizLA said:

Western Undergraduate Exchange. I got the WUE scholarship when I went to UM. It honestly was one of the big reasons for me going to Montana over UO or OSU. UM would do well to broaden the promotion of this scholarship. It can attract some good students and put butts in seats.

Oh just wait. Across the board cuts could be extended even more, although this "preliminary" report does not reveal any cuts to the MISSOULA COLLEGE, which has shown deep enrollment losses too. Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Back