• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Illinois St

2011BisonAlumni said:
AZGrizFan said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:
AZ's analysis makes sense to me. The Big Sky may not be as strong this year, but I will judge that later. The MVC has been the best conference for a half dozen or so years now, but I agree with AZ that the hype around the MVC is too much, in fact ridiculous. The dominance of NDSU for years is mainly what caused people to think the MVC was so wonderful. UND and CP are both big surprises to me this year. I think those teams might be the bottom of the MVC this year.

Illinois State also was in the championship game in 2014. Has a national championship game at the FCS ever consisted of one conference? YSU, the third best team in the Valley, made it to the championship game last year.

A couple of those years you had a two loss SDSU team going up against NDSU in the second round, which is really a travesty. Could have easily been in the championship game had they been placed in the opposite bracket.

It’s hard to argue against how good the conference is. All you have to do is look at Sagarin’s rating. It is by far the strongest conference in the FCS.
Because you're getting credit for playing each other. It's not that complicated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than EWU, who in the Big Sky has made any noise in the playoffs over the last 5 years?

If your conference is so fucking awesome, how does it EVER lose an OOC game?

When was the last time the Griz lost to a MVC team, other than NDSU? Legitimate question. I don't know. I recall beating UNI and SDS in recent years. Think we beat USD too.

PlayerRep said:
When was the last time the Griz lost to a MVC team, other than NDSU? Legitimate question. I don't know. I recall beating UNI and SDS in recent years. Think we beat USD too.

Yeah...it's been a while.

Edit: 2003: Western Illinois in the playoffs...43-40

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Supports my theory that too many MVC fans have developed big heads because NDSU has been so good and so dominant for such a long time. Take NDSU out of the picture and the MVC doesn't look nearly as good.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Interesting question, so I went back through the ESPN records as far as they go … to 2002. The Griz did not face a MVFC opponent in 2002, nor in five other years during that period.

The answer to your question is (with added info to AZG): 2003. The Griz lost in the first round of the playoffs to Western Illinois … by a FG in double-overtime. Earlier in that same year, they lost to NDSU by 1 point.

Since then, the only MVFC team UM has lost to is NDSU ... being 1-2 after 2003. But after the double-OT loss in 2003 to W-Illinois, UM is 8-0 against the rest of the MVFC, having beaten: Northern Iowa (twice), South Dakota (twice), South Dakota State (three times) and Southern Illinois.

Latest posts

Back