• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Idaho Tip in beats Grizzlies

...for those of you that never "reffed" the game...
...not exactly one of the easiest of vocations...
...now compounded by the size and speed...

... :rule: ...

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
You guess correctly.

:stupid:

So you keep saying. Only problem is, you haven't provided one speck of empirical evidence to show that I'm wrong. The way it is in America anymore. Shout louder and maybe you'll convince some people to believe you. Truth and facts be dammed!!

Yes, officials in other leagues are better. Shit, even the bsc admits that.

And you have shown nothing that proves that BSC officials are the worst. I am not on here to say they are the best, but overall, officiating is very poor...especially in most of the non P5 leagues. You are the cheerleader for the anti BSC crowd. By the way, I doubt you can find anything from the BSC that "admits" that the BSC officials are the worst. What a whiny ass biatch....that is the truth and a fact...so be damned.

I agree that the refs reward the floppers way too often. I've thought that for years. However, you should all know that there is no such thing as a BSC ref anymore. All of the officials are managed out of the 'Western Consortium of Officials. The same pool of refs do the PAC12, MWC, BSC, WCC, BWC, WAC, and maybe there is some other conference that I am forgetting. Bobby Diabler is over it all and I think he works out of California somewhere. The problem we have is that the least experienced refs seem to get assigned to the worst venues and many of those venues are in the BSC. Anyway, they are not BSC refs. Personally, I wish they would take the charging call out of the game. It would either be a blocking foul or no foul at all. End the need to flop for the refs attention. :shock:

oldrunner said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

So you keep saying. Only problem is, you haven't provided one speck of empirical evidence to show that I'm wrong. The way it is in America anymore. Shout louder and maybe you'll convince some people to believe you. Truth and facts be dammed!!

And you have shown nothing that proves that BSC officials are the worst. I am not on here to say they are the best, but overall, officiating is very poor...especially in most of the non P5 leagues. You are the cheerleader for the anti BSC crowd. By the way, I doubt you can find anything from the BSC that "admits" that the BSC officials are the worst. What a whiny ass biatch....that is the truth and a fact...so be damned.

I agree that the refs reward the floppers way too often. I've thought that for years. However, you should all know that there is no such thing as a BSC ref anymore. All of the officials are managed out of the 'Western Consortium of Officials. The same pool of refs do the PAC12, MWC, BSC, WCC, BWC, WAC, and maybe there is some other conference that I am forgetting. Bobby Diabler is over it all and I think he works out of California somewhere. The problem we have is that the least experienced refs seem to get assigned to the worst venues and many of those venues are in the BSC. Anyway, they are not BSC refs. Personally, I wish they would take the charging call out of the game. It would either be a blocking foul or no foul at all. End the need to flop for the refs attention. :shock:

I was waiting for someone to post this. The Big Sky joined the Western Consortium of Officials before last season.

For example, one of Saturday's officials in Moscow officiated Oregon State-Cal earlier this month while another officiated Oregon Tech-Northwest Christian in his game before. There have been crews in Missoula this season that have done Pac 12 games less than 48 hours before Griz games.

The new rules added before the 2015 season have affected everything. The NCAA changed the shot clock to 30 seconds and put a priority on a bunch of different things, trying to limit physical defense on the perimeter and in the post in an effort to open up the game. I think the biggest difference is not that the officiating in Big Sky games is bad but rather that college players just aren't developed enough to play with what amounts to NBA rules.

And that trickles down hill - Big Sky players aren't as talented as Pac 12 players etc so the games probably seem like they are called more poorly when really it's the players' inability to play effectively under the new rules. I think it's been really bad for college basketball. Scoring is up but it's mostly up because of more free throws than anything else.

I guess my whole point is that the officiating probably seems poor at all levels if you watch it closely, but really, it's the new rules that are poor rather than the officials. Although I will say there have been some outrageously bad calls in some of the games I've covered this year. But they have been made by a variety of officials with a variety of prestige.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
oldrunner said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

I was waiting for someone to post this. The Big Sky joined the Western Consortium of Officials before last season.

For example, one of Saturday's officials in Moscow officiated Oregon State-Cal earlier this month while another officiated Oregon Tech-Northwest Christian in his game before. There have been crews in Missoula this season that have done Pac 12 games less than 48 hours before Griz games.

The new rules added before the 2015 season have affected everything. The NCAA changed the shot clock to 30 seconds and put a priority on a bunch of different things, trying to limit physical defense on the perimeter and in the post in an effort to open up the game. I think the biggest difference is not that the officiating in Big Sky games is bad but rather that college players just aren't developed enough to play with what amounts to NBA rules.

And that trickles down hill - Big Sky players aren't as talented as Pac 12 players etc so the games probably seem like they are called more poorly when really it's the players' inability to play effectively under the new rules. I think it's been really bad for college basketball. Scoring is up but it's mostly up because of more free throws than anything else.

I guess my whole point is that the officiating probably seems poor at all levels if you watch it closely, but really, it's the new rules that are poor rather than the officials. Although I will say there have been some outrageously bad calls in some of the games I've covered this year. But they have been made by a variety of officials with a variety of prestige.

Everett says bullshit...LOL

fanofzoo said:
There is no constancy in how they make calls, no they are bad.

Not sure many are arguing that exactly. Everett just has a huge anti-BSC stick up his ass, continually stating the the BSC has the worst officials in college basketball, except for the fact that the BSC pulls from a pool of officials that work all Western Conferences. He seems to believe that there is an easy fix, but really has no clue.

This just in from a Mountain West Conf. game between New Mexico and Wyoming, reffed by a crew of Western Consortium of Officials. New Mexico won 119-114.

There were 64 fouls called and 81 free throw attempts.Yawn. Must have been a fast-moving game to get to that score, eh?

The Big Sky is not alone.

Yes. We’ve had the consortium conversation on this site for years. None of that changes that the bsc get the worst of the group. Why is this hard to understand? If you’re a top official with a choice, are you going to take 3 flights to get to Cedar City, or are you going to work the game at Cal?

The bsc gets the WORST of the officials because the good ones get the bigger games. It ain’t a difficult concept.

#bsc
#egriz
#basketcase

I officiated for a few brief years while on hiatus from coaching.

The games moves faster on the court even high school and small college environments I briefly worked.

Pay was bad, the love of the game and the players override thetravel, work hours and poor pay.

Got tired of harassment on a regular basis after couple of years.

Not surprising that quality, commitment could be lacking from the officials. The “work” is much harder than it looks from the seats.

first11 said:
I officiated for a few brief years while on hiatus from coaching.

The games moves faster on the court even high school and small college environments I briefly worked.

Pay was bad, the love of the game and the players override thetravel, work hours and poor pay.

Got tired of harassment on a regular basis after couple of years.

Not surprising that quality, commitment could be lacking from the officials. The “work” is much harder than it looks from the seats.

...right on...

... :thumb: ...

I had this conversation with a longtime NCAA, D1 basketball official this past Monday. I got a quick education on the charge/block call and how it relates to the arc on the floor. I would try to explain it to you here, but it is complex and I would surely get it wrong. Anyway, I came back with the understanding that it is more complex than I had originally thought and that there are many times that I have felt a bad call was made, when in fact it was probably a correct call. I still believe that many mistakes are made with that call, but I have a deeper appreciation for how difficult it is to make the right call. I don't believe that there are bad refs, just inexperienced refs.

No players play a perfect game, no coaches coach a perfect game, and no refs ever call a perfect game. If we can't accept that, what does that say about us? :clap: :clap: :clap:

EverettGriz said:
Yes. We’ve had the consortium conversation on this site for years. None of that changes that the bsc get the worst of the group. Why is this hard to understand? If you’re a top official with a choice, are you going to take 3 flights to get to Cedar City, or are you going to work the game at Cal?

The bsc gets the WORST of the officials because the good ones get the bigger games. It ain’t a difficult concept.

#bsc
#egriz
#basketcase

1084.jpg

oldrunner said:
I had this conversation with a longtime NCAA, D1 basketball official this past Monday. I got a quick education on the charge/block call and how it relates to the arc on the floor. I would try to explain it to you here, but it is complex and I would surely get it wrong. Anyway, I came back with the understanding that it is more complex than I had originally thought and that there are many times that I have felt a bad call was made, when in fact it was probably a correct call. I still believe that many mistakes are made with that call, but I have a deeper appreciation for how difficult it is to make the right call. I don't believe that there are bad refs, just inexperienced refs.

No players play a perfect game, no coaches coach a perfect game, and no refs ever call a perfect game. If we can't accept that, what does that say about us? :clap: :clap: :clap:

What it says about EverettGriz is that he is a whiny little weener. :lol:

oldrunner said:

I don't doubt that this is the case, but if its too complicated to describe here in a few sentences, its too complicated for coaches and players to get it right in the action of a game.

Personally, I believe a lot of the frustrations we are seeing with officiating is coming from the NCAA rule changes that were implemented a couple years ago, not necessarily because of BSC officials.

I watched the Zags play San Diego last night. The refs sucked every bit as much as they do in Big Sky Conference games. :lol:

Shut up about the refs. You sound like crybabies when you bring them up. We needed to lose a game or 2 anyways. We are not as good as some ppl think, and reality finally set in. I expected this. No time to panic, but, believe it or not, this team DOES have some issues and problems to address, notably Krislovic. If he keeps getting serious minutes, we're exploitable. I still don't know what he brings to the table. I love the guy, but he has very few D1 skills.

Zirg said:
Shut up about the refs. You sound like crybabies when you bring them up. We needed to lose a game or 2 anyways. We are not as good as some ppl think, and reality finally set in. I expected this. No time to panic, but, believe it or not, this team DOES have some issues and problems to address, notably Krislovic. If he keeps getting serious minutes, we're exploitable. I still don't know what he brings to the table. I love the guy, but he has very few D1 skills.

As for the refs, the comments are accurate. Officiating has sucked for way too long in this conference. It's gotten to the point of taking away from most games.

As for Krslovic, do you not listen to coaches comments, or that of broadcasters? I will give you this, he is not much of a scorer, but does convert at a high % when he gets his opportunities. From day 1, he earned his playing time with great help and post defense. Does he not look smooth enough for you in doing what he does? We have heard time and time again, he is the best, or one of the best post defenders in the conference. Unfortunately for him, what he does well does not show in the stats. That opens him up to criticism to those that judge on the eyeball test, and what the stats say.

Good post, Rule. What zirg (and a few select others) don't understand is that none of us are blaming officials for any loss. We're just saying the officiating is ridiculously shitty (it is) and the league does absolutely nothing to improve it (they don't). But the officiating is equally shitty both ways. The Griz benefit from it too. It's just that the fans get screwed.

EverettGriz said:
Good post, Rule. What zirg (and a few select others) don't understand is that none of us are blaming officials for any loss. We're just saying the officiating is ridiculously shitty (it is) and the league does absolutely nothing to improve it (they don't). But the officiating is equally shitty both ways. The Griz benefit from it too. It's just that the fans get screwed.
Agreed wholeheartedly!

Latest posts

Back