• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How does this team stack up with other Grizzly greats?

Zirg said:
1. 74-75'-THE starting-point that every future legit team should be judged. The Griz damn-near knocked off the greatest dynasty in the history of NCAAA b-ball (UCLA 67- UM 64). Would you believe only 4 Griz scored in that game? And M Ray had only 2 pts (in 35 minutes). McKenzie,Hays and Smedley scored the other 62. The most surprising fact I just discovered: Jud Heathcote didn't go to Michigan State until after the 75-76' season after the Griz went 13-12. How the heck did Michigan State recruit a .500 Big Sky conference coach? Seriously, I'd like to know. That would NEVER happen today.
2. 86-87' (Krysko's sr yr)
3. 91-92'-Fasting,Engelelent,Delvon Anderson, Keith Crawford and Nate Atchison and a young Travis DeCuire. They lost to a star-studded Florida State team in the NCAA tourney that featured 4 future NBA-ers including Charlie Ward, Sam Cassell, Bobby Sura,& Doug Graham. Gary Kane missed a 3-pointer with 4-5 minutes left that could have cut the lead to 2? and it was never in real doubt after that, but I couldn't believe we hung with them that long (I was there). That FSU team was coached by Fat Pat Kennedy,who would later be the worst coaching decision in UM history and bring UM's budget to ground-zero. It's easy to coach 4 future NBA-ers. That was all Pat could do:BS/recruit (and spend money), he was a terrible coach, without future NBA-ers, as we all saw, and some of us are still feeling the affects.
4. 2005-06-Griz beat a supposed NBA first round early-entry Jr Nick Fazekas (Nevada), who was absolutely schooled by Andrew Strait, and Fazekas literally ran off the court after the game without shaking anyone's hands (like a little bitch), and was never a relevant prospect thus-after. (2nd rd pick the next year and only played 26 NBA games). ALL because of Andrew Strait. Strait cost that loser millions of dollars, literally. :)
5. 90-91' Griz got screwed having to play the #1 team in the country-UNLV (which featured 5! future NBA-eras), which dismantled us (99-65), but it remains the most unjust paring the Big Sky has ever got. No Way were the Griz the worst team in the tourney that year, and UNLV was a unanimous #1.

I watched all these teams play, and at this point in the season I'd probably put this year's team ahead of the '86'-'87 team and at least on par with the '91-'92 team. Our team defense is better this year in my opinion, and given the importance of guard play in overall team success, I like this year's team even more. Cherry and Jamar were a tough tandem to beat, but I think Oguine/Rorie will set the bar higher than ever. We'll see how it plays out, but 16-5 should be a pretty impressive start.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:
I know the season is still young, but this team shows a lot of promise, and should have a 16-5 record after Saturday's game.
So my question is, how does this team compare with other great Griz teams in UM history?
I'd put it in the top three of all time, barring a miraculous collapse. Tell my why I'm wrong. (Not you, PR.)

Which teams are the top 3?

Note that I didn't tell you that you were wrong. Just asked a question. Can you answer it, or was it too tough?

He asked the question before you did PR. Can you answer it or is it just that much easier to mindlessly derail yet another thread.

He didn't ask me the question. I asked him the question. If I knew, I'd be happy to answer the question. I grew up a Cat hoops fan, due to living in Bozeman. It seemed to me that someone who says a particular team is in the top 3 of all time, should be able to name the or his top 3 of all time. Don't ya think?

You are the one moving towards de-railing the thread, not me. You can't resist picking at me and my posts. I suppose it's just jealousy on your part.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:
I know the season is still young, but this team shows a lot of promise, and should have a 16-5 record after Saturday's game.
I'd put it in the top three of all time, barring a miraculous collapse. Tell my why I'm wrong. (Not you, PR.)

Note that I didn't tell you that you were wrong. Just asked a question. Can you answer it, or was it too tough?

He asked the question before you did PR. Can you answer it or is it just that much easier to mindlessly derail yet another thread.

He didn't ask me the question. I asked him the question. If I knew, I'd be happy to answer the question. I grew up a Cat hoops fan, due to living in Bozeman. It seemed to me that someone who says a particular team is in the top 3 of all time, should be able to name the or his top 3 of all time. Don't ya think?

You are the one moving towards de-railing the thread, not me. You can't resist picking at me and my posts. I suppose it's just jealousy on your part.

Seems All Weather started this thread asking question......

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:
So my question is, how does this team compare with other great Griz teams in UM history?

Yes, AWF asked this question, which prompted me to ask my question. How does one compare this year's team to the top 3 of all time, if AWF doesn't tell us what he considers the top 3 of all time?

"So my question is, how does this team compare with other great Griz teams in UM history? I'd put it in the top three of all time"

Please don't continue to derail this thread.

Great teams do great things. This team has done only one great thing: Had a great start. Way too early to talk about greatness here.Talent? Yes. Greatness no.

I agree with Zirg's list, with two exceptions.

Krysko's senior team was not a great team. Montgomery never recruited great players to surround him. Result? They lost to a lower-seed Montana State team in Reno for the right to go to the Big Dance. Because of Kyrsko, we got an NIT bid, where we got blown out, I believe by UCLA. Great player, but not a great team.

A much better team was the Qvale--Cherry team that defeated Damian Lillard, then nearly knocked off New Mexico in the first round in San Jose. But for a blunder by the young Cherry down the stretch, that team would have taken down what I think was a three seed. That team needs to be on any "top" list.

Really? Almost beating New Mexico is "greatness?"

Huh. I suspect Coach D has higher goals in mind. Will we reach 'em?

That's why we play the game.

AllWeatherFan said:
Also, I think Krysco's senior year we lost in the NIT to Jim Killingsworth and TCU.

Wasn't this his senior year?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_National_Invitation_Tournament

citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Also, I think Krysco's senior year we lost in the NIT to Jim Killingsworth and TCU.

Nope, that was his junior year. The senior year was the home NIT loss to TCU. I believe the Griz lost by ten or so and Larry K scored just over twenty points. I was there but the memory does fade a bit. :(

AZDoc said:
I think their consistent 3 point shooting issue is what keeps them out of the top 3 currently. The way today's game is played, that needs to be a decent part of the overall offense, and 32% doesn't cut it. I think they are top 10...but if things continue to go well, could be top 3-5. Defense is great, but they need to win out to be top 3 in my opinion.
Check their conference 3 pt %... Came into the MSU leading the conference. They don't shoot a ton of them, which is good because they're an inside out team, but shooting a high percentage in league.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

citay said:
Great teams do great things. This team has done only one great thing: Had a great start. Way too early to talk about greatness here.Talent? Yes. Greatness no.

I agree with Zirg's list, with two exceptions.

Krysko's senior team was not a great team. Montgomery never recruited great players to surround him. Result? They lost to a lower-seed Montana State team in Reno for the right to go to the Big Dance. Because of Kyrsko, we got an NIT bid, where we got blown out, I believe by UCLA. Great player, but not a great team.

A much better team was the Qvale--Cherry team that defeated Damian Lillard, then nearly knocked off New Mexico in the first round in San Jose. But for a blunder by the young Cherry down the stretch, that team would have taken down what I think was a three seed. That team needs to be on any "top" list.

I too would put the Qvale/Cherry's team ahead of either LK's junior or senior seasons. Which of those years was it that the entire team all shaved their heads because "they were going to war" and then just looked silly walking off the floor after losing early in the tournament?

Talent and depth wise, I believe this year's group is a top 5-7 team. But until we know how they finish, the grade is a solid Incomplete. To be among the best, you need to win some big games. I believe this team CAN, but we don't know yet if they will.

Also, watch out for next year which could be a top 2 or 3 team.

GrizWhiz said:
citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Nope, that was his junior year. The senior year was the home NIT loss to TCU. I believe the Griz lost by ten or so and Larry K scored just over twenty points. I was there but the memory does fade a bit. :(

Ha ha, I was there, too, Griz Whiz, and I still remember Killingsworth, who had coached at Idaho State:

coach-killingsworth-681x1024.jpg

But what I really remember from that game is how the Horned Frogs' guard Carl Lott went off on us - we couldn't stop him!

I have seen zillions of Griz football and basketball games, but I can scarcely remember the one I saw last week. I am always fascinated by you folks with such specific recall of a particular game. I can remember about three "moments" of specific games, but that's it. Thanks for YOUR memories.

A lot of great memories. But still the ones that stand out the most are potatoes on the floor. being hit with a flying tomato, pizza delivery to the coach, Monty with black sun glasses and a white cane behind the ref after a questionable call, and a hard dunk by Larry Mcbride.(sp)

I believe the 75-76 was Micheal Ray's jr. year maybe the best team we every had. They would ha ended up 26-1 or 25-2. But they had great center by the name of Lee Johnson that dominated but was also ineligible so we vacated 10 or 11 games.

citay said:
i think it was the Cats who found out about a discrepancy with Lee Johnson and turned us in.

As I recollect, Montana played Creighton that year in the pre conference and I thought that it was either someone on the Creighton coaching staff, or an Evansville coach scouting the game that alerted Creighton that Johnson should be ineligible due to knowing his local schooling/history/ect. I believe Johnson is from the Omaha area where Creighton is located...

AllWeatherFan said:
GrizWhiz said:
citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Ha ha, I was there, too, Griz Whiz, and I still remember Killingsworth, who had coached at Idaho State:

coach-killingsworth-681x1024.jpg

But what I really remember from that game is how the Horned Frogs' guard Carl Lott went off on us - we couldn't stop him!

I was there as well. Lott was unconscious.

The 2006 team has to be one of the better Griz teams ever. I remember being in the spring of my freshman year and watching the NCAA Tournament win over Nevada at the Press Box. One of my most vivid college memories.

In the March of 2016, I did this oral history on that team to commemorate the 10-year anniversary, which also coincides with the last time a Big Sky team won an NCAA Tournament game.

Ten years later, memories of Griz 2006 NCAA Tourney win remain strong
https://skylinesportsmt.com/ten-years-later-memories-of-griz-2006-ncaa-tourney-win-remain-strong/

Back