• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GO EWU

EverettGriz said:
Eastern's playing some good BB, Marc. Many of us have commented on that. It's just that your buddy Shower was all over this board the first 3 weeks of the season talking about how weak the GRIZ were, and the fact that they were 6-0 was only due to whom they played. He then said he'd come back to the board and admit he was wrong if the GRIZ kept winning. We then laughed our asses off after each eastern loss to a team the GRIZ had beaten, usually by 20 or more. Then we waited for Shower to keep his promise. We're still laughing, but now we're laughing at him.

So I didn't acknowledge the great griz soon enough for you. I actually waited until they began playing the best teams in the league. And guess what happened?

Still laughing at ya Shower.

And psssst. The best teams in the league look like this, with the relative gaps between them:

1. MONTANA

2. Weber

3. Idaho.

4. UNC

5. Ewoooo

Montana has yet to beat any conference team in the top 4 (0-2). Seriously. Ponder that for a second before getting too cocky.

Zirg said:
Montana has yet to beat any conference team in the top 4 (0-2). Seriously. Ponder that for a second before getting too cocky.

The unbalanced schedule is part of that. We only play ewoo and spuds once on the road and once against weebs here. It would be easier to judge the top four if they played each other twice.

Zirg said:

And everyone else in the league has at least two losses to teams the GRIZ crushed. Ewoooooo has five of those so....

Zirg said:

Montana has beaten UNC twice--or do you include UM as a top 4 team and expect them to have beaten themselves? UM hasn't played all of the top 4 teams. Do you expect UM to have beaten teams it hasn't played?

Montana has yet to lose to any top 4 team in Missoula, so ponder that.

Why are you always so negative? Are you an EWU fan?

The discussion is pretty irrelevant considering the Big Sky is a one bid league and the tourney was moved to Reno (big mistake)...the funny thing is, as things sit now, the 1 or 2 seed is going to get the gift of playing PSU in the qtrs...

Right now it appears the Griz are the best team in the league and are favorites to win it but I believe the tourney is wide open

Good post, Marc. I agree with everything except rhe lack of relevancy of a regular season title. Those do matter, and guarantee — at a minimum — an NIT bid. As you suggest, it should guarantee home tournament, but #bsc.

EverettGriz said:
Good post, Marc. I agree with everything except rhe lack of relevancy of a regular season title. Those do matter, and guarantee — at a minimum — an NIT bid. As you suggest, it should guarantee home tournament, but #bsc.

NIT is the one plus...but I still think the tourney should be played at the league winners site, Reno is a joke and I don’t think Boise will be any better

marceagfan5 said:
EverettGriz said:
NIT is the one plus...but I still think the tourney should be played at the league winners site, Reno is a joke and I don’t think Boise will be any better
At this point, the Griz sit at #100 in RPI, while the Big Sky is #21 as a conference. That virtually guarantees the BSC will be a one-bid conference. But dreams of a somewhat-higher seed for the Griz, if/when they win the conference tourney, went down the drain with the bad road trip. If the Griz run the table from here, that might nudge the RPI into the low-nineties ... which might get them a #13 seed in the Big Dance, but more likely a 14. If they hover in the 95-105 RPI range, I do not see them dropping lower than a 14.

But I also agree that any one of the top half of the Sky has a chance to win the tournament, so there are no guarantees for the Griz. The NIT may be a second-class "booby prize," but it's way better than any of those obscure made-up post-season tournaments (CIT? and whatever).

As for the host town, I actually think Boise will be better than Reno. Maybe not by much, but at least it's in a state that has two Big Sky teams represented.

Boise will be markedly better than ReNO. It's still a gargantuan mistake by the bsc (one I think they'd admit if it were not for the money the tournament makes for the fat cats) to not have the champion team host. But Boise will be a significant upgrade over ReNO.

Back