• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gabe Peppenger - Kicker

Zirg said:
mtgrizfankb said:
we have pretty good kickers on the roster currently

I beg to differ. Purdy is ok, but Semenza is terrible. He only made 33-42 PATs 2 years ago, which is about the worst percentage I have ever heard of since the 70's, and should never be given a FG/PAT ever again. Both Purdy and Semenza's career long FG is 47 yards. Purdy has never had a kickoff go for a touchback, which is the only reason Semenza is still around. Semenza can kick it deep, but with such a low trajectory it is creates great kick return potential. I think you're gonna see a plethora of gimmick kick-offs and a continuation of going for it on 4th down in enemy territory out of Hauck with 2 sub-par kickers. Punter Erik Williams has a good leg and might (should) be the kickoff guy full-time, IMO. Not sure who these "pretty good kickers" are you are talking about, but those 2 are not gonna make me forget about Carpenter, Heppner or Larson.

also...Purdy has only kicked 5 KO his career here. 3 as a frosh and 2 as a soph. averaging over 61.2 yards per. The average in 2017 for FBS college kickers distance average was 60.7 yards

mtgrizfankb said:
Zirg said:
mtgrizfankb said:

I beg to differ. Purdy is ok, but Semenza is terrible. He only made 33-42 PATs 2 years ago, which is about the worst percentage I have ever heard of since the 70's, and should never be given a FG/PAT ever again. Both Purdy and Semenza's career long FG is 47 yards. Purdy has never had a kickoff go for a touchback, which is the only reason Semenza is still around. Semenza can kick it deep, but with such a low trajectory it is creates great kick return potential. I think you're gonna see a plethora of gimmick kick-offs and a continuation of going for it on 4th down in enemy territory out of Hauck with 2 sub-par kickers. Punter Erik Williams has a good leg and might (should) be the kickoff guy full-time, IMO. Not sure who these "pretty good kickers" are you are talking about, but those 2 are not gonna make me forget about Carpenter, Heppner or Larson.

also...Purdy has only kicked 5 KO his career here. 3 as a frosh and 2 as a soph. averaging over 61.2 yards per. The average in 2017 for FBS college kickers distance average was 60.7 yards

Semenza averaged 60.5 last year...

mtgrizfankb said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Zirg said:
mtgrizfankb said:

That is a useless statistic. The change now is for hang time and placement inside the 5 near the sideline to try and trap inside 20.

Have known Gave for many years. He is absolutely a quality young man and a solid kicker. He aspired to be a Grizzly his whole life, yet after being the best kicker in Class AA his senior season at Sentinel HS he got zero interest from Stitt. He chose MSU after they showed interest in him after the UM did not. It didn't work out at MAU and Gabe would be very happy to be able to kick for the Griz in the future. Hopefully he gets a chance to do it. I think it would be awesome for him to get a shot with the Griz and play a role in beating the Cats in 2019 & 2020!!

Montanabob said:
mtgrizfankb said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Zirg said:

That is a useless statistic. The change now is for hang time and placement inside the 5 near the sideline to try and trap inside 20.

cool FCS teams don't measure that stat....so prove to me that either of our kickers we have now don't have that ability. If you even watched our KO teams this last year...Our kickers are not the issue. Our coverage teams were often out of lanes, over committed to directions and had poor tackling. They got better and worse it was very hit and miss. It was not a kicking issue. people here for some reason believe all our kicks were landing at the 15 yard line...when in reality they were not and often the returners made their first move before the 20...which is what you want...but coverage didn't work out. Sure it would be nice to have a guy hit the ball 8 yards deep but with the new 25 rule...most coaches want kickers to hit about the 5 or in...we did that a lot last year....and yes even with decent hang time.

Back