• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Prospects for NFL Draft

IdaGriz01

With the NFL draft coming this week, I wondered what the prognosticators had to say about prospects from the FCS level. Of course, there are a bunch of guessers out there, and every one of them has a slightly different list … selected from hundreds of possible prospects. Luckily, there are a few sites that make up composite lists.

Since no FCS prospect is likely to go high, I was not so much interested in the draft rank … just who might be on the draft rooms’ radar. After all that, I found over forty from the FCS level.

As of now, Gubner is the only Griz who might make waves. His “stock is up,” but I did not find any rating that thinks he’ll get drafted. In fact, the lists I found only had three Big Sky players as prospects: Gubner, Hatten (WR) at Idaho, and Reid (LB) at Weber State. (No, I did not find any Montana State prospects out there.)

As has been discussed here a lot, South Dakota State has six prospects on those lists, with at least a couple expected to actually be drafted. FWIW: Furman has two draft prospects.

Actually, I expect the notion of players getting drafted from FCS schools is pretty much on its way out … other than for possible “late bloomers.” I think we’ll see even more players who make a big splash at the FCS level get poached by desperate FBS programs.

Actually, I expect the notion of players getting drafted from FCS schools is pretty much on its way out … other than for possible “late bloomers.” I think we’ll see even more players who make a big splash at the FCS level get poached by desperate FBS programs.
Sad but likely true. Only the kids with a deeper value to commitment and team then to self will stick out their time at the FCS schools.

Or how about an FBS player that drops down his last year due to some "difficulties" at his previous school ala Randy Moss?
Well, today’s Randy Moss would land at another P5 because he wouldn’t have to sit out. We used to get a guy like Ochs on the way down because he didn’t have to sit. Now, we have to try to find guys like that on the way up. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I could swear someone on this site who claims to know NFL scouts and coaches has redundantly stated that Grubner will be drafted. I won't be a bit surprised when he gets invited to a camp but I've been unable to find any evidence that he might be drafted.

FYI: Here's the list I glened from various sites, alphabetized by the school. I didn't include their rankings because there's no real consensus on that.

Zareon Hayes (EDGE) – Alabama A&M
Mikey Victor (CB) – Alabama State
AJ Simon (EDGE) – Albany
Jarveon Howard (RB) – Alcorn State
Blake Larson (OT) – Augustana (III)
Mike Edwards (OT) – Campbell
Jay Person (EDGE) – Chattanooga
Steele Judy (LS) – Citadel
Josiah Ezirim (OT) – Eastern Kentucky
Mason Pline (TE) – Furman
Jake Johanning (OG) – Furman
Sundiata Anderson (EDGE) – Grambling State
C.J. Hanson (OG) – Holy Cross
Jalen Coker (WR) – Holy Cross
Jalyx Hunt (EDGE) – Houston Christian
Anim Dankwah (OT) – Howard
Hayden Hatten (WR) – Idaho
Cam Grandy (TE) – Illinois State
John Huggins (S) – Jackson State
Jeremiah Harris (S) – Jacksonville State
Ty James (WR) – Mercer
Teldrick Ross (CBN) – Middle Tennessee
Jaden Shirden (RB) – Monmouth
Alex Gubner (DT) – Montana
Dean Hebron (LB) – Morgan State
Lawrence Richardson (LB) – Morgan State
Dylan Laube (RB) – New Hampshire
Evan Gregory (OL) – Norfolk State
Davius Richard (QB) – North Carolina Central
Jalen Sundell (OT) – North Dakota State
Jake Kubas (OG) – North Dakota State
Khristian Boyd (DL1T) – Northern Iowa
Lorenzo Thompson (OT) – Rhode Island
Nick Correia (OL) – Rhode Island
Jordan Colbert (S) – Rhode Island
Trevor Williams (S) – Sam Houston State
Michael Hiers (QB) – Samford
Ryan Flournoy (WR) – SE Missouri State
Myles Harden (CB) – South Dakota
Mason McCormick (OG) – South Dakota State
Garret Greenfield (OT) – South Dakota State
Isaiah Davis (RB) – South Dakota State
Jadon Janke (WR) – South Dakota State
Zach Heins (TE) – South Dakota State
Jaxon Janke (WR) – South Dakota State
P.J. Jules (S) – Southern Illinois
Isaiah Wooden (WRS) – Southern Utah
Cole Burgess (WR) – SUNY-Cortland (III)
Levi Drake-Rodriguez (DL3T) – TAMU-Commerce
Jesus Gibbs (DL5T) – Towson
Winston Reid (LB) – Weber State
John Jiles (WR) – West Florida (II)
David White Jr. (WR) – Western Carolina
Rod Gattison (CB) – Western Carolina
Nate Lynn (DE) – William & Mary
Kiran Amegadjie (OT) – Yale
Mason Tipton (WRS) – Yale

I could swear someone on this site who claims to know NFL scouts and coaches has redundantly stated that Grubner will be drafted. I won't be a bit surprised when he gets invited to a camp but I've been unable to find any evidence that he might be drafted.
You're talking about me. Don't mis-quote me. I merely said that my Carolina Panthers scout buddy said that Gubner "is on their radar". I never alleged that he would be drafted.

Gubner will not be drafted. Possibly get some action from Seattle latter.
If the griz get lucky and land a good prospect they do not hang around because they most likely get overlooked. We just don't have what it takes to compete at the FBS level for prospects and never will.

Gubner will not be drafted. Possibly get some action from Seattle latter.
If the griz get lucky and land a good prospect they do not hang around because they most likely get overlooked. We just don't have what it takes to compete at the FBS level for prospects and never will.
Right, the new reality for Griz fans and all FCS fans. The portal, and NIL money, has significantly hurt the talent level in FCS football. We are closer to Division II level talent than we are to FBS talent. Didn't use to be that way, but it is what it is.

Right, the new reality for Griz fans and all FCS fans. The portal, and NIL money, has significantly hurt the talent level in FCS football. We are closer to Division II level talent than we are to FBS talent. Didn't use to be that way, but it is what it is.
Why don't you two Debbie Downers start your own thread where you can just whine and moan about how horrible the Griz are at everything?

Talent is still there its just most of the top tier starts their careers at the FCS level but now doesn't finish it there...Toure is a great example, he wasn't any less talented just chose to finish somewhere other than in Missoula ... Edwards appears to be the next one on that list.

FYI: Here's the list I glened from various sites, alphabetized by the school. I didn't include their rankings because there's no real consensus on that.

Zareon Hayes (EDGE) – Alabama A&M
Mikey Victor (CB) – Alabama State
AJ Simon (EDGE) – Albany
Jarveon Howard (RB) – Alcorn State
Blake Larson (OT) – Augustana (III)
Mike Edwards (OT) – Campbell
Jay Person (EDGE) – Chattanooga
Steele Judy (LS) – Citadel
Josiah Ezirim (OT) – Eastern Kentucky
Mason Pline (TE) – Furman
Jake Johanning (OG) – Furman
Sundiata Anderson (EDGE) – Grambling State
C.J. Hanson (OG) – Holy Cross
Jalen Coker (WR) – Holy Cross
Jalyx Hunt (EDGE) – Houston Christian
Anim Dankwah (OT) – Howard
Hayden Hatten (WR) – Idaho
Cam Grandy (TE) – Illinois State
John Huggins (S) – Jackson State
Jeremiah Harris (S) – Jacksonville State
Ty James (WR) – Mercer
Teldrick Ross (CBN) – Middle Tennessee
Jaden Shirden (RB) – Monmouth
Alex Gubner (DT) – Montana
Dean Hebron (LB) – Morgan State
Lawrence Richardson (LB) – Morgan State
Dylan Laube (RB) – New Hampshire
Evan Gregory (OL) – Norfolk State
Davius Richard (QB) – North Carolina Central
Jalen Sundell (OT) – North Dakota State
Jake Kubas (OG) – North Dakota State
Khristian Boyd (DL1T) – Northern Iowa
Lorenzo Thompson (OT) – Rhode Island
Nick Correia (OL) – Rhode Island
Jordan Colbert (S) – Rhode Island
Trevor Williams (S) – Sam Houston State
Michael Hiers (QB) – Samford
Ryan Flournoy (WR) – SE Missouri State
Myles Harden (CB) – South Dakota
Mason McCormick (OG) – South Dakota State
Garret Greenfield (OT) – South Dakota State
Isaiah Davis (RB) – South Dakota State
Jadon Janke (WR) – South Dakota State
Zach Heins (TE) – South Dakota State
Jaxon Janke (WR) – South Dakota State
P.J. Jules (S) – Southern Illinois
Isaiah Wooden (WRS) – Southern Utah
Cole Burgess (WR) – SUNY-Cortland (III)
Levi Drake-Rodriguez (DL3T) – TAMU-Commerce
Jesus Gibbs (DL5T) – Towson
Winston Reid (LB) – Weber State
John Jiles (WR) – West Florida (II)
David White Jr. (WR) – Western Carolina
Rod Gattison (CB) – Western Carolina
Nate Lynn (DE) – William & Mary
Kiran Amegadjie (OT) – Yale
Mason Tipton (WRS) – Yale
The only players I can see getting drafted from SDS are the OL and TE

The only players I can see getting drafted from SDS are the OL and TE
I tend to agree … but even that would be quite impressive from a single FCS team. Actually, only a handful of all those “prospects” will get drafted. They’re mostly headed for Undrafted Free Agent … not necessarily a bad thing.

A few others who are expected – by some, anyway– to get drafted include: Myles Harden (shutdown corner, USD), Khristian Boyd (DT, UNI, maybe 2nd or 3rd round), Dylan Laube (RB, New Hampshire, fast and a versatile pass catcher), and Kiran Amegadjie (OT/G, Yale, huge, versatile, and quick).

Back