• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Championship Game: JMU vs ND State, Jan 6th

Whoever is on the selection committee should be fired and a new committee should be set up.
Way too much love for Missouri and Ohio Valley conferences.
Something is VERY fishy with UNH, Monmouth, Fruman and NAU getting in over EWU, McNeese State, and some others.
The way these teams were picked I don't believe an 8-3 Griz would have gotten in.

EWU is in shock right now. They thought the playoffs were a certainty.

Jim Allen @srjimallen
14m
Again, no one saw this coming. Most here expected to host San Diego in a first-round game next week. @EWUFootball

Jim Allen @srjimallen
15m
The @EWUFootball locker room is utterly silent right now, lots of tears and embraces. For the seniors, this is a tough way to end the season.

Jerome making the playoffs is a nice big FU to nau admin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HelenaHandBasket said:

Jim Allen @srjimallen
14m
Again, no one saw this coming. Most here expected to host San Diego in a first-round game next week. @EWUFootball

Jim Allen @srjimallen
15m
The @EWUFootball locker room is utterly silent right now, lots of tears and embraces. For the seniors, this is a tough way to end the season.
Maybe some people on egriz need to get together and share some tears and embraces

wbtfg said:
EWU is better than nau. Also surprised Weber has to play a first round and then go to suu. Weber got screwed with that.

Also James Madison in quarterfinals. Screw the committee and their stupid geography rule. It's the 21st century, travel isn't difficult. NAU gets San Diego and Weber gets W Illinois. NAU didn't earn an easier game.

SWeberCat02 said:
wbtfg said:
EWU is better than nau. Also surprised Weber has to play a first round and then go to suu. Weber got screwed with that.

Also James Madison in quarterfinals. Screw the committee and their stupid geography rule. It's the 21st century, travel isn't difficult. NAU gets San Diego and Weber gets W Illinois. NAU didn't earn an easier game.

I really don’t see Weber beating Western Illinois.

Fahque said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Jim Allen @srjimallen
14m

Jim Allen @srjimallen
15m
Maybe some people on egriz need to get together and share some tears and embraces

I like group hugs

2011BisonAlumni said:
SWeberCat02 said:
wbtfg said:

I wouldn't expect anything different. I would guess you have every MVC team winning unless they are facing another MVC team in you little bracket prediction thing.

HelenaHandBasket said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
SWeberCat02 said:
wbtfg said:

I wouldn't expect anything different. I would guess you have every MVC team winning unless they are facing another MVC team in you little bracket prediction thing.

Weber State did not beat a single playoff team this year. Western Illinois crushed NAU and FBS Coastal Carolina. Better quality wins and played a much tougher schedule.

Big Fluffy has been very underwhelming in playoffs over the last 6 years outside of EWU. MVFC had their 3rd place team make the national championship game last year. It is unintentional bias....purely result driven.

2011BisonAlumni said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
SWeberCat02 said:

Weber State did not beat a single playoff team this year. Western Illinois crushed NAU and FBS Coastal Carolina. Better quality wins and played a much tougher schedule.

Big Fluffy has been very underwhelming in playoffs over the last 6 years outside of EWU. MVFC had their 3rd place team make the national championship game last year. It is unintentional bias....purely result driven.

I agree the Big Sky has not performed in the playoffs and do not deserve any benefit of the doubt anymore just based on the conference previously being a strong conference. I think we have exhausted that. Big Sky needs to get better. UM needs to get better in particluar (my bias). MIssouri Valley is the power of the FCS enjoy it. It may not last forever.

cmtgrizzly said:
I agree the Big Sky has not performed in the playoffs and do not deserve any benefit of the doubt anymore just based on the conference previously being a strong conference. I think we have exhausted that. Big Sky needs to get better. UM needs to get better in particluar (my bias). MIssouri Valley is the power of the FCS enjoy it. It may not last forever.

With the brackets the big sky drew, NDSU & JMU in the early rounds, none of the big sky teams will be going deep into the playoffs, thus little respect next year too.

With geographic inclinations of the bracket committee I think the big sky will have to go through the MVC every year.

DrainBramage said:
cmtgrizzly said:

With the brackets the big sky drew, NDSU & JMU in the early rounds, none of the big sky teams will be going deep into the playoffs, thus little respect next year too.

With geographic inclinations of the bracket committee I think the big sky will have to go through the MVC every year.

Yep and that will be difficult but if a Big Sky team can get through the MVC in the playoffs (as they are now) you will know they are legitmate contenders. We want to win the whole thing and you have to beat great teams to do it. Doesnt matter when we play them just have to beat them. This is why I have no problem with difficult FCS OOC schedules. FBS is fun to play but most of the time doesnt help us much and less than FCS (D2 etc) doesnt help is either. Playing weak teams and winning just hides problems. I am not taking a shot at our schedule as I know it is not easy to arrange. I am just giving my thoughts on what I think would be ideal if possible.

fltheadgriz said:
Whoever is on the selection committee should be fired and a new committee should be set up.
Way too much love for Missouri and Ohio Valley conferences.
Something is VERY fishy with UNH, Monmouth, Fruman and NAU getting in over EWU, McNeese State, and some others.
The way these teams were picked I don't believe an 8-3 Griz would have gotten in.

The committee:

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/q-a-with-the-fcs-playoff-committee-chair-111617

The selection committee, consisting of one representative from each of the 10 FCS conferences that have automatic bids, will put the 24-team pairings together at NCAA headquarters in Indianapolis. The field will be released on an ESPNU selection show Sunday (11 a.m. ET).

Richard Johnson, the Wofford athletic director who represents the Southern Conference, is the chair of the committee, which also consists of Chuck Burch (Gardner-Webb, Big South), Kyle Moats (Missouri State, Missouri Valley), Tim Murray (Marist, Pioneer), Nathan Pine (Holy Cross, Patriot), Marty Scarano (New Hampshire, CAA), Greg Seitz (Jacksonville State, Ohio Valley), Bill Smith (Bryant, Northeast), Brad Teague (Central Arkansas, Southland) and Jeff Tingey (Idaho State, Big Sky).

Big Sky doesn't have great respresentation with Jeff Tingey -- the guy is very timid and has the social skills of a brick. The conference needs to get a different rep on there ASAP.

cmtgrizzly said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

It’s cyclical in terms of conferences having strong runs, but the Big Sky needs to become a much more physical league before they are going to have more competitive teams in the playoffs.

I just can’t see why on earth UM did not hire back Bobby Hauck when he wanted back. Your defenses were stout when he ran the show and you ran the ball very well.

The CAA was the dominant conference for the end of the 00’s and dropped off extremely quickly after that (until JMU last year).

MVFC dominance will not last forever, even if NDSU’s does.

SWeberCat02 said:
wbtfg said:

James Madison is going to win out and do it easily. They are very good. Probably the best FCS team in years.

wbtfg said:
Jerome making the playoffs is a nice big FU to nau admin.

NAU's athletic director left her position at NAU earlier this week for the position at UT-San Antonio. Fired Souers....then left before the process to hire a new coach began. NAU's president stated that she was surprised that the A.D. (Campos) left.

Souers has been professional in his media responses but he certainly didn't seem happy in an online radio interview a few weeks back with Mitch Strohman that he was being fired/not fired/told to retire by NAU. Jerome has struggled with winning big games during his time at NAU but I've generally appreciated that NAU football teams were more often than not competitive, his players (mostly) stayed out of trouble/graduated and that his players seemed to play hard for him. I'd like championships year in and year out like most fans would but I also know things could be much worse than they have been for NAU football. There's no need to come off as an ingrate fan.

I'd say this is nice big FU to Lisa Campos on her way out of town. I wish Jerome the best.

The First committee rankings I believe really helped the Jacks because they were as high as no.9 and lost to you guys by 2 without Case. That shouldnt have dropped them far and with the win to M st. prolly bumped them up or stayed steady. The loss to SUU does not help but forsure we are a quality team to make the Dance. EWU did get snubbed. Nichols does not deserve a spot. NHU and monmouth are in a different region and did not make a difference towards if EWU would get in. EWU should be in and hosting south dakota.

Back