• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ewoo tries again

Great Day To Be An Eagle said:
EWU football is never moving off of campus. NEVER. Especially given how much work (outside of football) has gone in to re focusing on Cheney and changing the narrative about Cheney vs Spokane.

And Roos field might never really get the makeover it deserves. And I for one don't give a shit . As a life-long EWU football fan, I care little about facilities rather about football. And in the football department, we do just fine.

Congrats on your facilities and attendance banners though, griz. you guys have won that like 20 years in a row. What a feat!

And it shouldn't move off campus. That's where college football belongs.

And congrats on your recent success against the Griz. You're literally the ONLY team that can say that in the last 30 years. But don't get too cocky. Baldwin is gone. Kupp is gone. Replacing THAT ain't as easy as it might sound. Shit can go south in a goddamned hurry....just look at what happened in Missoula. :x :x :x

AZGrizFan said:
EWU football is never moving off of campus. NEVER. Especially given how much work (outside of football) has gone in to re focusing on Cheney and changing the narrative about Cheney vs Spokane.

And Roos field might never really get the makeover it deserves. And I for one don't give a shit . As a life-long EWU football fan, I care little about facilities rather about football. And in the football department, we do just fine.

Congrats on your facilities and attendance banners though, griz. you guys have won that like 20 years in a row. What a feat!

And congrats on your recent success against the Griz. You're literally the ONLY team that can say that in the last 30 years. But don't get too cocky. Baldwin is gone. Kupp is gone. Replacing THAT ain't as easy as it might sound. Shit can go south in a goddamned hurry....just look at what happened in Missoula. :x :x :x

Yaaa I think Montana has been ok in the old football success column for quite a while....

EWU fans are freaking morons.

Cheney is 16 miles away. SIXTEEN MILES. The way you guys talk you'd think it was on the other side of the state.

But alas, this is a non starter conversation. EWU football is never moving off of campus. NEVER. Especially given how much work (outside of football) has gone in to re focusing on Cheney and changing the narrative about Cheney vs Spokane.

This must be apart of that effort:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjYJgUQZ3k4[/youtube]

1. That's a lonnnnnng fucking 16 miles.
2. It ain't just the distance. It's that when you get there, you're in fucking Cheney.
3. Yes, ewoo has done well against the GRIZ the last 3 or 4 years. Congrats. That TRULY is something to be proud of, because MONTANA is the FCS standard bearer.
4. Yeah, we're damn proud of our attendance figures. We should be, and we understand you're only attempting to minimize it because even though you have enormous population advantages, you'll never, ever approach UM's attendance. We get that.
5. Roos is a POS. It's not even DII appropriate. As I've stated a number of times, this conference needs to "encourage" programs to upgrade facilities. We cannot continue to promote ourselves as DI conference when we have fields like Notingham and roos and basketball facilities that are smaller than Class C gyms in the state of Montana.
6. On campus is great. If anyone cares. Ewoo would be better off following the lead of the Mariners and branding themselves as the region's team. Put a few grand into Albi, play all games (UM, msu) that will draw 9,000 fans there, and market the shit out of it to Spokane, the Valley, Mead, etc.

EverettGriz said:
1. That's a lonnnnnng f***[*] 16 miles.
2. It ain't just the distance. It's that when you get there, you're in f***[*] Cheney.
3. Yes, ewoo has done well against the GRIZ the last 3 or 4 years. Congrats. That TRULY is something to be proud of, because MONTANA is the FCS standard bearer.
4. Yeah, we're damn proud of our attendance figures. We should be, and we understand you're only attempting to minimize it because even though you have enormous population advantages, you'll never, ever approach UM's attendance. We get that.
5. Roos is a POS. It's not even DII appropriate. As I've stated a number of times, this conference needs to "encourage" programs to upgrade facilities. We cannot continue to promote ourselves as DI conference when we have fields like Notingham and roos and basketball facilities that are smaller than Class C gyms in the state of Montana.
6. On campus is great. If anyone cares. Ewoo would be better off following the lead of the Mariners and branding themselves as the region's team. Put a few grand into Albi, play all games (UM, msu) that will draw 9,000 fans there, and market the shit out of it to Spokane, the Valley, Mead, etc.

I agree with everything you said, except for the last sentence in point 3. "is" should say "was".

...and here is to hoping it returns!

Raider said:
EverettGriz said:
2. It ain't just the distance. It's that when you get there, you're in f***[*] Cheney.

I agree with everything you said, except for the last sentence in point 3. "is" should say "was".

...and here is to hoping it returns!

I would contend we're still the standard bearer. Not the dominant team right now, obviously. But we're still the complete program everyone -- including undsu -- tries to be.

...yeah, that is a valid argument. How long does that last with a very mediocre product on the field? That is my concern, and my reason for challenging threads like this.....despite being called a cat fan by our plethora of ignoramuses...

footballdood said:
Htowngriz said:
footballdood said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
I dont understand how adding bleachers will do anything for EWU...they get 2-3 games a year with a decent crowd.

Taking the standard fcs playoffs attendance dip out of the equation, data shows that ewu has been at or above stadium capacity for regular season attendance for several years.

If you can't pack the (small) house for a semifinal playoff game, at night, on ESPN, then your fan base just doesn't get it.

<insert self-hating comment from Raider here>

Spokane is full of fair weather fans, though in (some) defense to the fan base it was something like 5 degrees at kick-off. But it doesn't help that reaching the semi-finals is pretty much a regular thing...

It was cold as isht at that game...I was there. Cold not withstanding, though, our playoff attendance generally sucks. School's out, etc.

That said, we have had a string of years with consecutive sellout games during the regular season. I don't see that changing unless we start a downward spiral with the new coaching regime. Roos is a cool place to watch a game, but serious renovations are needed. I hope the investment in the analysis pays off.

AZGrizFan said:

A player like Kupp is irreplaceable. Perhaps a once in a lifetime type player. That said, we generally do pretty well in the QB/WR department. When Kaufman/Edwards/Herd had to be replaced, nobody thought it was possible. But then along came Kupp, Bourne, and Hill. Time will tell, but there's been some really talented guys waiting in the wings.

On the QB side, Gubrud already broke most of Vernon Adam's records in a single season.

EverettGriz said:

1) Longer than a 16 mile drive in MT?
2) Who gives a rats ass where it is? You're going to watch football and tailgate...not eat an extravagant meal.
3) Try 6+ years. 2008 was the last time the Mighty Griz won in Cheney. You whipped our asses in 2015 and squeaked one out in 2011.
4) Spokane Metro may have population advantages, but UM has funding advantages that won't ever be touched by EWU or most of the big sky conference.
5) I agree.
6) Move to Albi so more UM and MSU fans can come?? That's downright stupid. Think long term...playing games ON CAMPUS creates interest from students...aka future alumni. Why would you move away from campus to please opposing fans and middle to old age people from Spokane?

I'll only address your question in number 6:

Because if I'm an Eastern fan, I would have significant concerns that anything will get done on campus ever.

Montana had experience with moving football off campus (even less than a half mile) and it wasn't pretty. UMass, others have learned the same hard lesson. And there are other benefits from campus exposure on Saturdays in the fall. Lose the track.

ewueagle2010 said:
Why would you move away from campus to please opposing fans and middle to old age people from Spokane?

One reason might be because the "stadium" sucks a hot fuck, and will not change in the foreseeable future. The commuter college will never get more co-eds in seats. Nobody cares about EWU football locally. It's a shame, too, because they usually put on a great show. Maybe don't move to Albi, but a move to Ferris high school's field could drive some interest. Just a thought.

To me it's a major red flag that ewoo is paying a consultant $120k to figure out what to do. Isn't that what athletic directors are for? And it is remarkable what the ewoo coaches have achieved given the facilities and overall level of support. My hat's off to them.

mcg said:
To me it's a major red flag that ewoo is paying a consultant $120k to figure out what to do. Isn't that what athletic directors are for? And it is remarkable what the ewoo coaches have achieved given the facilities and overall level of support. My hat's off to them.
That's what you call "easy money" as a consultant. I'd love to get paid $120k to tell EWU that their field looks like a used tampon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EverettGriz said:

Because if I'm an Eastern fan, I would have significant concerns that anything will get done on campus ever.

That I agree with. I do have concerns anything will ever get done on campus. This is now the second rodeo of announcing some grand renovation and still nothing. As an EWU fan, I count the lucky starts the team has been good enough to sustain the outdated facilities, but it may not last forever.

ewueagle2010 said:
EverettGriz said:

That I agree with. I do have concerns anything will ever get done on campus. This is now the second rodeo of announcing some grand renovation and still nothing. As an EWU fan, I count the lucky starts the team has been good enough to sustain the outdated facilities, but it may not last forever.

ewueagle2010, don't feed these egriz fanatics. Most of them already realize it doesn't make any difference if the EAGS improve their stadium. Bottom line is the EAGS will consistently beat UM regardless of what type of stadium they play in.

GoldenEagle said:
ewueagle2010 said:
EverettGriz said:

ewueagle2010, don't feed these egriz fanatics. Most of them already realize it doesn't make any difference if the EAGS improve their stadium. Bottom line is the EAGS will consistently beat UM regardless of what type of stadium they play in.

Wow. Come on GE. You are the proverbial pot calling the kettle black with your post. (Fanatic) EWU has provided a great rivalry through the years, but to say they will consistently beat UM is ridiculous. The BSC is morphing again. Idaho coming back, facility improvements and consistency at recruiting and coaching for the Griz, EWU having a new coaching staff, etc. It will be tough in the BSC for any team to dominate in the future. EWU has way over performed for their facilities and props to them for doing it. Can they "consistently" beat anyone in the future? We will see and you can continue to be just as fanatical as Griz fans are on this board. 2017 and 18 will be very interesting.

Back