• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dire story about NCAA basketball coaches

Maybe time to take the air out of these multimillion basketball factories, the NCAA, and its leadership.

Could be that with massive attrition good ol UM could garner a 1 seed by default

Step 2. Break up the mega dynasties in football!

"Lonzo Ball on college basketball: ‘Everybody knows everybody’s getting paid. Might as well make it legal’"

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lonzo-ball-college-basketball-everybody-212801293.html

PlayerRep said:
"Lonzo Ball on college basketball: ‘Everybody knows everybody’s getting paid. Might as well make it legal’"

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lonzo-ball-college-basketball-everybody-212801293.html

I doubt that everybody is getting paid. I am sure quite a few of the top stars at the top programs are getting financial benefits. As tired as I am of the Ball family, I do agree with having a place for top HS and College players to play for money before making the NBA. I really would like to see NCAA athletics be for true student athletes. Players that can and will commit no less than 3 years to scholarships. I wish more players would do what Brandon Jennings did and go play professionally overseas until they are eligible for the NBA draft.

I'd even be happy with having a NBA minor league system, similar to the G League, but more expansive. I love the system in place with professional baseball. The various levels of minor leagues (Rookie, A, AA, AAA) is terrific. It allows player to play against the level of competition they can handle and comfortably develop their skills. The advanced players for their age get to the Majors at a pretty good pace, and a lot of time and money are not wasted on the process.

Football also has a pretty fair system in place. Then again, the importance of physical development is so much more of a factor in football. Very few players are players physically mature enough to play well in the NFL before the age of 21.

As for the NCAA, I honestly hope this leads to NCAA athletics being cleaned up and the swamp drained. Then again, the end of the current NCAA structure might be what is needed in college athletics. College athletics was not originally designed to be the land of the HAVES and HAVE NOTS. Unfortunately, it has become just that.

I read in one of the reports that Krysko had a player at Utah who is listed as receiving impermissible benefits....

grizpack said:
I read in one of the reports that Krysko had a player at Utah who is listed as receiving impermissible benefits....

Kuzma (currently with the Lakers) was the player listed. Have to imagine that was well AFTER he was recruited though, so probably just an agent doing some bullshit behind the scenes to try to get Kuzma to sign with him during his last year with Utah. I don't think Kuzma was big enough of a recruit out of high school to be getting attention like that. I'd guess that the athletic department and coaching staff are in the clear on that one.

In other news, Sean Miller & Arizona are pretty much screwed... Miller caught on wiretap talking about $100,000 payment to Ayton (their big recruit who will be a lottery pick in the draft). Here's the ESPN article on it.

This is probably just the tip of the iceberg too. From that article:

The telephone calls between Miller and Dawkins were among 3,000 hours of conversations intercepted from Dawkins' phone alone by the FBI.

With all the players and schools listed so far & likely more to come maybe the Big Sky will get an at large bid or two this year (kidding of course).

Yeah. I have to believe Miller doesn't survive to coach in the post season this year. Or maybe tomorrow's game...

Bengal visitor said:
PlayerRep said:
Can someone explain why whatever this is, is worthy of a massive federal investigation and lots of criminal charges? I'm not following this. What's the big issue or what's at stake? It strikes me as an odd use of significant resources.

But it looks like it may help the seeding of the Griz, if they make the ncaa's.

Well, because these coaches and agents allegedly violated several Federal laws, including bribery, conspiracy and wire fraud. It just so happens that one of the outgrowths of the investigation is that there is now apparently abundant hard evidence of NCAA violations, as well. The Feds won't investigate or prosecute those -- that will be left up to the NCAA. But they now have access to the kinds of evidence that is rarely available during NCAA investigations because the NCAA doesn't have the ability to use wire taps or undercover agents to collect evidence, like the FBI does. So this is really an opportunity to give the entire NCAA system a well-needed enema.

Bengal Visitor. Don't forget racketeering. When games get fixed, point shaving, final scores, even podunk teams and boosters have a definite pucker factor.

I like being out in the middle of nowhere right now watching this "stuff."

Bengal visitor said:
PlayerRep said:
I still don't get why the federal government is wasting time and resources on this, but they certainly have uncovered a lot of ncaa violations.

Here are some of the schools:

"There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members. The amounts tied to players in the case range from basic meals to tens of thousands of dollars."

Go to the link and scroll down to see the ledger/list of players, payments, etc. Very interesting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html
I don't consider investigating extensive violations of federal law "a waste of time and resources." These agents are enriching themselves by paying kids (and coaches, apparently) under the table so that they can represent them when they move on to the NBA. They're using the kids, essentially. It's the FBI's job to enforce these many federal laws.

The alleged NCAA violations are simply fallout from the criminal investigations. And if the fallout is as extensive as we are led to believe, I think you're going to see dramatic changes in the very foundation of collegiate athletics.

Glad the caught Sean Miller. Very important. Wish they’d have caught Nikolas Cruz instead. :roll: :roll:

whaaaaat?! Power 5 school programs got top players through improper monetary incentives involving top brand sportswear companies and crooked agents? Noooooo. That could never happen.

But if it did, the NCAA needs to come down hard on crooked Coppin State and that filthy Austin Peay program... I heard Everlast was over there handing out buy-one-get-one-free burger coupons for Hardee’s.

Seriously though, will NCAA sanction their herd of cash cows? And after the Louisville thing, what kind of idiot keeps runnng the scam?

Buttegrizzle said:
whaaaaat?! Power 5 school programs got top players through improper monetary incentives involving top brand sportswear companies and crooked agents? Noooooo. That could never happen.

But if it did, the NCAA needs to come down hard on crooked Coppin State and that filthy Austin Peay program... I heard Everlast was over there handing out buy-one-get-one-free burger coupons for Hardee’s.

Oh yeah.... Now I get it :p :clap: :clap:

AZGrizFan said:
Bengal visitor said:
PlayerRep said:
I still don't get why the federal government is wasting time and resources on this, but they certainly have uncovered a lot of ncaa violations.

"There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members. The amounts tied to players in the case range from basic meals to tens of thousands of dollars."

Go to the link and scroll down to see the ledger/list of players, payments, etc. Very interesting.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html
I don't consider investigating extensive violations of federal law "a waste of time and resources." These agents are enriching themselves by paying kids (and coaches, apparently) under the table so that they can represent them when they move on to the NBA. They're using the kids, essentially. It's the FBI's job to enforce these many federal laws.

The alleged NCAA violations are simply fallout from the criminal investigations. And if the fallout is as extensive as we are led to believe, I think you're going to see dramatic changes in the very foundation of collegiate athletics.

Glad the caught Sean Miller. Very important. Wish they’d have caught Nikolas Cruz instead. :roll: :roll:

That is exactly my point. What is the FBI/DOJ doing wasting time and resources on college basketball? There are many bigger things to focus on. Let the ncaa do its own (shoddy) work.

And what is the ncaa doing, going after UM for hot dogs and tiny stuff--and giving the big boys a pass?

And what is the ncaa doing going after Penn St, when no ncaa athletes were involved (only a former ncaa coach)--and not looking into Mich. St/Nasser, in which there were many ncaa athletes being abused?

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bengal visitor said:
PlayerRep said:

That is exactly my point. What is the FBI/DOJ doing wasting time and resources on college basketball? There are many bigger things to focus on. Let the ncaa do its own (shoddy) work.

And what is the ncaa doing, going after UM for hot dogs and tiny stuff--and giving the big boys a pass?

And what is the ncaa doing going after Penn St, when no ncaa athletes were involved (only a former ncaa coach)--and not looking into Mich. St/Nasser, in which there were many ncaa athletes being abused?
Had dinner with my friend, a federal judge, Saturday night. As soon as I mentioned that agents were bribing coaches to get kids to sign up with their agencies, he said, "Wire fraud." This is a judge who has been hearing federal criminal cases for 25 plus years, and he recognized right away the issue.

Of course, the other issue that will likely arise if these alleged payments are verified is tax evasion. Anybody think these assistant coaches or the players' families are reporting this extra "income?"

Bengal visitor said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bengal visitor said:

Had dinner with my friend, a federal judge, Saturday night. As soon as I mentioned that agents were bribing coaches to get kids to sign up with their agencies, he said, "Wire fraud." This is a judge who has been hearing federal criminal cases for 25 plus years, and he recognized right away the issue.

Of course, the other issue that will likely arise if these alleged payments are verified is tax evasion. Anybody think these assistant coaches or the players' families are reporting this extra "income?"

I tend to agree with Player Rep on this issue; there are much bigger fish to go after than the kids from rundown neighborhoods who have worked their rears off to become a one and done basketball player and those individuals who serve as the "messenger" with the money for them and their families.

Let's get after the mobsters behind all the fixed games, the point shaving, and the arranged outcomes of collegiate athletics. We know they're rigged because so many are simply too obvious. The general population knows this and they're choosing to spend their evenings and Saturday afternoons during football season elsewhere.

How about getting some decent accountants and lawyers back in the FBI and Secret Service and use their resources to get the source of all the illegitimate money?

When is a school not in one of the Power 5 conferences going to win the tournament again? Texas Western (UTEP) was 1966...

Bengal visitor said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Bengal visitor said:

It isn't wire fraud unless money was "wired". And it isn't wire fraud to wire money in general. Only if there is an underlying crime.

What's your basis for saying these were "bribes"? Shoe companies pay schools and coaches to wear their products. That's not a bribe. Please cite us to where/why this is a "bribe".

Yup, agree with the tax evasion.

Simple solution to decrease the odds of schools and the NCAA having to deal with these kind of things. Give the athletes (all sports) the right to promote themselves (within reasonable financial benefits) and sign their own sponsorship deals. Also, get rid of the "1 and done". I feel the kids that are talented enough to play in the NBA should be able to do so, right out of HS.

As it is, the kids are being used and penalized by their coaches, schools, and the NCAA. I don't fault them one bit. Speaking of coaches, not sure which coaches I am more upset and disappointed with? The coaches that are taking $$$$$ to steer the players toward a program, or the NCAA coaches that are part of this?

I do hope every coach involved in this crap loses their livelihood. I hope and pray, somehow soon, college athletics will be cleaned up.

PlayerRep said:
Bengal visitor said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

It isn't wire fraud unless money was "wired". And it isn't wire fraud to wire money in general. Only if there is an underlying crime.

What's your basis for saying these were "bribes"? Shoe companies pay schools and coaches to wear their products. That's not a bribe. Please cite us to where/why this is a "bribe".

Not to put too fine a point on it but wire fraud occurs when any ill gotten monies are obtained through electronic communications, now including cell phones or the internet.

PlayerRep said:
Bengal visitor said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

From the USA Today coverage of the case:
According to the complaint issued by federal prosecutors in late September, the four coaches committed fraud and corruption as it pertains to the recruitment of potential student-athletes, including counts of conspiracy to commit bribery and solicitation of bribes and gratuities.

Back