• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dateline: Carbondale, Home of the Salukis

Temp dropped from about 96 to 88 in Frisco..felt pretty amazing actually. Still could only see the moon with glasses.

Its a good example of how sunglasses should always be worn...when the sun is just at 25% of its rays reaching earth its still that bright.

Ursa Major said:
Big party at work. I brought a bottle into work today. Pretty much like any other Monday. :?

And as we all know, it was something other than peach f$&king vodka. Bastard.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Temp dropped from about 96 to 88 in Frisco..felt pretty amazing actually. Still could only see the moon with glasses.

Its a good example of how sunglasses should always be worn...when the sun is just at 25% of its rays reaching earth its still that bright.
We dropped from about 78 to 65 here in Idaho Falls.

FYI: Ordinary sunglasses won't do it if you want to look right at the sun. But yes, if you're out in the sun a lot, you should use good sunglasses. Cumulative UV light, in particular (which you don't actually "see"), is very bad for your eyes. From what I've read, too much UV is a big contributor to macular degeneration as you get older.

Temperature rose from 80 to 84 degrees during the "eclipse" here in Northern Oklahoma. CNN has some very good CGI imagery of the fake news up on their site. There has been an increase of the number of people with sunburn reported during the "eclipse".

Total darkness here. Temp dropped from high 90s to low 80s. Lots of parties. Not much being done in the Palmetto State today. It looked ominous, at first, because of rain clouds. The horizon was resembling an incredible sunset over Midlands.

It got really quiet here at our place. The birds, insects, and even the stupid Bumpus hounds next door went silent. Darkened quite a bit. The trees and bushes were throwing these weird crescent, shimmering shadows, kind of like the sun on lake waves. It was pretty cool.

I have to say I was getting tired about eclipse this eclipse that being here in Oregon. I have to say however it was something amazing being here in the mid Willamette Valley. For nearly one minute the moon blocked the sun, day went to night and then a bright sliver of sun returned. It's was pretty darn cool I have to say. I hope many of you got to experience it. WOW!!

Today's highlights are local media outlets talking to folks in their cars that have been on the road home to Chicagoland for fourteen or more hours. To a person, they all said it was worth it.

Grizzly Oredigger said:
Nashville put on quite the show. May be the only time I'll get to witness a solar eclipse in the path of totality.

Wont have to go far for the next one in 2024.

Yukon said:
Got to see it in 1979. Pretty cool.

Me too, Yukon...but I've been seeing stuff that says this is the first total eclipse in the continental US in 99 years....wtf? I saw one in high school...and I'm old, but not THAT old...

AZGrizFan said:
Yukon said:
Got to see it in 1979. Pretty cool.

Me too, Yukon...but I've been seeing stuff that says this is the first total eclipse in the continental US in 99 years....wtf? I saw one in high school...and I'm old, but not THAT old...

I think they are saying first one that crossed the entire US. Our 1979 one was just us in the pacific NW.

1979eclipsemap.JPG

Back