• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaching vs. Execution

Ursus1 said:
stilwtrgrizz said:
PSLGriz said:
stilwtrgrizz said:
Is this really a serious question for God's sake? You GOD DAMN RIGHT it's the coaches fault. If that is what happens, you chew their ass off, and then sit them down till it sinks in that THE COACH IS IN CHARGE !!!!!!! No different than when Stitt sat Caleb Hill down after he ignored the play that he called against NAU, and would not pay attention to him on the sideline.

I don't want to get into a dissertation about football 101 so I'll keep it simple.
It's not like they missed assignments all game but when a team runs 56 times and you miss assignments 7 or 8 times that's enough to do you in.
It wasn't the same player every time. So if on 8 or 9 different plays 1 guy misses an assignment and 4 or 5 different guys each miss a different assignment on different plays, your saying they should pull 4 or 5 starters out of the game? Yeah that would work out well. Lol

What I am saying is, that anyone who consistently doesn't do what the coach wants and tells him to do, should be pulled out until he decides to play the way he is being coached. Whether that is one or 5, YES, that is what I am saying. After all, isn't what we have coaches for, is to COACH? Obviously not doing that hasn't worked out extremely well !!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we have been hearing the same thing for two years...wasnt like this was first time they freelance. Apparently coach can't get the point across...that is on him, IT IS HIS JOB

:thumb:

first11 said:
4th down wildcat play blowing up..... almost like cats knew exactly what was coming. Statement play of game imo
We questioned that play too. 4th and two and you motion Toure backwards for a hand off from a qb already 3 yards behind the LOS. By the time the hand off was complete, Toure's momentum had him 4-5 yards behind the LOS. Why not give Lee the ball moving straight ahead, maybe with Horner or other big body playing fullback?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

putter said:
Just an honest question.. Which was the worst? The 3rd down calls were horrible and there is no excuse to blitz in those situations. I went back and watched some of the first half and I noticed that there were quite a few plays where guys were out of position. You have to play your gaps and there were guys who were missing assignments and leaving gaps open. Not excusing Semore but the players also have to execute the game plan.

Semore got suckered by the Cats coaches. They knew that in light of how Murray the runner had killed the Griz last year, Semore would stack the Griz defense to keep Murray in the pocket. So, their offensive game plan shifted to having the RBs carry the load in the first half. In the first half, the Cats ran option, the Griz focused on Murray, and usually had no one in position to defend the pitch. It looked as if in practice they had never drilled on the need to defend both options, which, of course, is the whole point of the option offense. At half, the RBs had TDs and Murray had -14 rushing yards. Murray of course took the ball in the second half, when the Griz had finally talked about the option in the locker room. But It looked pretty clear that Semore did not consider the possibility during the week of practice that the Cats would come out doing something different, even though they had shown the option all year long. I can't think of an excuse for the team looking so unprepared to defend what the Cats did on offense. It's the coaches' responsibility to put together a game plan that gives the team a chance to win. Semore punched the pooch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stilwtrgrizz said:
PSLGriz said:
stilwtrgrizz said:
PSLGriz said:
So if all week in practice you tell the LB or safety he has pitch man and he doesn't do it in the game that's the coaches fault? Okay
If all week in practice you tell the Dlineman not to shoot gaps and play man up and you get in the game and they shoot gaps that's the coaches fault? Okay.
Push your agenda somewhere else.

Is this really a serious question for God's sake? You GOD DAMN RIGHT it's the coaches fault. If that is what happens, you chew their ass off, and then sit them down till it sinks in that THE COACH IS IN CHARGE !!!!!!! No different than when Stitt sat Caleb Hill down after he ignored the play that he called against NAU, and would not pay attention to him on the sideline.

I don't want to get into a dissertation about football 101 so I'll keep it simple.
It's not like they missed assignments all game but when a team runs 56 times and you miss assignments 7 or 8 times that's enough to do you in.
It wasn't the same player every time. So if on 8 or 9 different plays 1 guy misses an assignment and 4 or 5 different guys each miss a different assignment on different plays, your saying they should pull 4 or 5 starters out of the game? Yeah that would work out well. Lol

What I am saying is, that anyone who consistently doesn't do what the coach wants and tells him to do, should be pulled out until he decides to play the way he is being coached. Whether that is one or 5, YES, that is what I am saying. After all, isn't what we have coaches for, is to COACH? Obviously not doing that hasn't worked out extremely well !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Key word you used is "consistently" no where did I say or did I see in the game the same guys "consistently" missing assignments. In fact overall they did play their assignments. But as I said if one person misses an assignment on 8 run plays out of 56 it makes a big difference. Take out the 3rd and forever( which wasn't a missed assignment but the one play call mistake) and the 35 yard for a first down(missed assignment) MSU averages 3.9 yards a carry. That's just 2 plays. Throw in the 19 yard run by Anderson(missed assignment) and they are under 200 yards on the day and that's just 3 plays out of 56 run plays.
Under your thinking if strahm, strong, buss, banks, epperly, Schye, sims and Favoroso each miss 1 assignment they should be pulled?
Just to be clear I am not saying any of them did. Just using them as an example.

PSLGriz said:
stilwtrgrizz said:
PSLGriz said:
stilwtrgrizz said:

Key word you used is "consistently" no where did I say or did I see in the game the same guys "consistently" missing assignments. In fact overall they did play their assignments. But as I said if one person misses an assignment on 8 run plays out of 56 it makes a big difference. Take out the 3rd and forever( which wasn't a missed assignment but the one play call mistake) and the 35 yard for a first down(missed assignment) MSU averages 3.9 yards a carry. That's just 2 plays. Throw in the 19 yard run by Anderson(missed assignment) and they are under 200 yards on the day and that's just 3 plays out of 56 run plays.
Under your thinking if strahm, strong, buss, banks, epperly, Schye, sims and Favoroso each miss 1 assignment they should be pulled?
Just to be clear I am not saying any of them did. Just using them as an example.

You are missing my point here. There is, IMHO, a HUGE difference between honest mistakes, and bull headed disregard for a coach's instructions. If the above mentioned players are ALL intentionally ignoring what they have been both taught and instructed by the coaches to do, then YES, pull them all out and sit them down till they figure out that (once again) the coach is in charge. Common sense tells us all, that if they are occasional, incidental, honest mistakes that is normal. Again, IMHO, if there are what the coach determines to be TOO MANY of those, then it serves both the kid and the team well, to sit him down for a few plays and re-enforce what needs to be done and how.

stilwtrgrizz said:
PSLGriz said:
stilwtrgrizz said:
PSLGriz said:

You are missing my point here. There is, IMHO, a HUGE difference between honest mistakes, and bull headed disregard for a coach's instructions. If the above mentioned players are ALL intentionally ignoring what they have been both taught and instructed by the coaches to do, then YES, pull them all out and sit them down till they figure out that (once again) the coach is in charge. Common sense tells us all, that if they are occasional, incidental, honest mistakes that is normal. Again, IMHO, if there are what the coach determines to be TOO MANY of those, then it serves both the kid and the team well, to sit him down for a few plays and re-enforce what needs to be done and how.
Not sure why I am continuing with this but here goes...
I am not missing the point. The thread is Coaching vs Execution. I argued that aside from one play it was execution not coaching. MSU is essentially an option team. They ran the ball 56 times. If you have ever played on or against a team like that you would know most plays go know where. They count on their opponents to make mistakes on a handful of plays. Defensive players miss their assignments on a handful of plays for various reasons, Their tired, over aggressive, dont recognize something etc. These all fall under EXECUTION not coaching.
I dont see anywhere on this thread where anybody suggests players intentionally missed assignments. I certainly didnt.

Latest posts

Back