• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Can you explain the transfer rule to me?

AZGrizFan said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
AZDoc said:
And this is a great example of how this works. I'm of the position that kids need to sit if they transfer, but maybe only half the season. It's not as punishing as a full season, but deters them enough perhaps not to just float around different places. I agree it would be detrimental to the game if there wasn't some penalty. Yes, coaches can do it, as well as other students. Students, though, sometimes lose credits and other things, so sometimes there is punishment involved. Coaches are employees, so just like getting a different job. The "athletes are like employees" argument holds no water with me...they are there to get an education and their sport helps them receive that for free.

Only it doesn't. Books, room and board, meal plans, etc still have to be paid for. This isn't your grand-pappys university where you could go to school for $500 bucks a semester and come out of school with no student loan debt or get your foot in the door for a decent job with only a high school education.

If you’re willing to get your hands dirty you can make GREAT money as a welder, plumber, electrician, mechanic, etc. There’s LOTS of jobs for people with HS educations if they’re willing to work.
Agreed there as well. Again, my whole point was the athletes don't get "free schooling."

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
717s7e said:
Am I right in my assumption that he can't play a 5th year at Montana but he could transfer any play at any other school?

Incorrect. As a collegiate athlete you have 5 years to play 4 years. Since Mike has played all 4 years he has been here, his eligibility is used up. He can't play for the Griz or anyone else after the next men's bb season.

The grad transfer rule you're thinking of is in the case of Jack Williams. He has played 3 years, will be graduating from his school in 3 years and joining UM and will be working toward a graduate degree and therefore eligible to play right away.

Jack Williams is actually a 5th-year senior. He played as a true freshman at Long Beach State before transferring to Pacific and sitting out. He then played two seasons and graduated in four years, giving him the ability to graduate transfer and play his fifth year at Montana.

If Michael Oguine earned his degree this spring, he could transfer and play his fourth and final year at another Division I school WITHOUT having to sit a year. If he simply transferred, he would still have that fourth and final year of eligibility remaining but he would have to sit out next season in order to use it. Andre Spight at Northern Colorado is an example of this. He played three years at Arizona State just like Oguine has at Montana. Spight transferred before last season, sat out last season and played his final year this last season.

Williams will be in his 5th year next year. Will be able to play because he graduates this spring and will be in grad school next fall. Really isn't a 5th year senior next year, because he will have already graduated.

AZGrizFan said:
717s7e said:
A coach (let's say an assistant coach) can switch colleges - sit on one bench one week and another team's bench the next week. Does it do any good for players to be able to do that? I don't think so. But there should be a reasonable rule that gives the players some flexibility. But, to treat coaches and players the same doesn't work either.

Personally I'm of the belief that if a coach leaves between seasons EVERY LOI should be null and void.
What?!? You’ve said some crazy-ass shit in your day but this is right up there.
You want to punish the kids (and program) for a coach’s personal decision?
Practically speaking, no coach could change without massive stress and many kids being screwed for doing nothing wrong

garizzalies said:
AZGrizFan said:
717s7e said:
A coach (let's say an assistant coach) can switch colleges - sit on one bench one week and another team's bench the next week. Does it do any good for players to be able to do that? I don't think so. But there should be a reasonable rule that gives the players some flexibility. But, to treat coaches and players the same doesn't work either.

Personally I'm of the belief that if a coach leaves between seasons EVERY LOI should be null and void.
What?!? You’ve said some crazy-ass shit in your day but this is right up there.
You want to punish the kids (and program) for a coach’s personal decision?
Practically speaking, no coach could change without massive stress and many kids being screwed for doing nothing wrong
I think what he means if that the coach leaves, any incoming LOI's or current rostered players would be released from said LOI or their scholarships if they wished to transfer somewhere else, then after transferring, wouldn't have to sit for a year. I think that may be....OK, but there needs to be a push to make sure - as a student athlete - you commit to the school more than the B-ball coach.

Back