• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Butte, mt

..we need some tough Butte kids to step up to the plate and become Griz players and bring back
the Griz percentages..problem solved!

grizghost said:
..we need some tough Butte kids to step up to the plate and become Griz players and bring back

Butte High’s Nate Ferguson (P,K,H-R, 6-2, 210) had 3 sideline invites to Griz games. He grew up inside WaGriz.

Buttegrizzle said:
grizghost said:

Butte High’s Nate Ferguson (P,K,H-R, 6-2, 210) had 3 sideline invites to Griz games. He grew up inside WaGriz.

That must have been a loud and cold childhood.

SaskGriz said:
Buttegrizzle said:
grizghost said:

Very nicely played. :clap:

SaskGriz said:
Buttegrizzle said:
grizghost said:

I suppose it was. All I know is the kids used to spend a lot of time tossing the football on the field after Griz wins back then.

Buttegrizzle said:
SaskGriz said:
Buttegrizzle said:
grizghost said:

I suppose it was. All I know is the kids used to spend a lot of time tossing the football on the field after Griz wins back then.

Cold only factors in after you grow up, we played football and ice fished and sledded regardless of the temperature as kids, didn't matter if we could feel our feet and hands or not. Good times.

Allezchat said:
Montanan said:
What about the local paper, does it favor one team over the other?
Yes. Foley is a huge griz homer. And he's a douch about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Foley is a great guy and reports the facts fairly and accurately. Don’t blame the journalist if no one wants to read about the 5-6 Cats celebrating a win by tearing down their goal posts.

Buttegrizzle said:
Allezchat said:
Montanan said:
What about the local paper, does it favor one team over the other?
Yes. Foley is a huge griz homer. And he's a douch about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Foley is a great guy and reports the facts fairly and accurately. Don’t blame the journalist if no one wants to read about the 5-6 Cats celebrating a win by tearing down their goal posts.

Well, in their defense, those fucking things needed to be torn down. I mean, seriously, who other than the tiniest of high schools has uprights which are six feet high anymore?

Buttegrizzle said:
grizghost said:

And EVERYONE please take note: Not only can he punt and kick, HE CAN REALLY PUNT AND KICK!

In the stone ages (ha) of the 60's, 70's and early 80's Butte had a lot of cat fans, because there were a lot of Butte players on those teams. ala WR Kelly Davis (still the TD catch leader in msu history)...and Butte head coach's Jim Sweeney, Sonny Holland (National Champion), Sonny Lubick and asst. Mick Delaney.

But with Lubick's firing after the 81 season, Don Reed came to UM and in the later 80's recruited Butte hard, Most of Butte's FCS level players have gone to UM since... thus turned Butte in a major Griz town.

However I will say this, Butte get's most of it's nightly TV news broadcasts out of Bozeman, and those stations are the mouth pieces of msu athletics... they NEVER do stories unless the are kitty related. And I mean NEVER. So that is turning some Butte people into msu fans, coupled with msu owning the Griz the past two seasons won't help...

Mousegriz said:
Neither.......don't think either FB team had a Butte kid on it this year. Back in the day, the Butte High AA 1977 champs put about 10 kids onto either Griz or Cats. That team one of the best ever in MT HS. Undefeated and allowed 20 points against them during the entire season.

Here's an old post I found from 2005 EGriz:

A number of teams deserve consideration, but the best and most dominating Montana high school team that I have seen is the Butte High team of 1977. A previous poster noted that Butte had 14 first team all state players that year and their defense gave up just 20 points during the entire season including the playoffs. What he did not mention is that nine players from that team went on to play for the Griz and Cats on scholarship. The Cat players included Barry Sullivan who started at QB for three plus years. Si Timberman started at FB. Jim Anderson was an All American DB and Mike Carle started at wide receiver. Burle Thompson and Dave Carriger also played. For the Griz, Curt McElroy was a four year starter at middle linebacker and was first team all Big Sky. John Kovacich and Reed Madison started at DB. A number of other players went on to play in the Frontier Conference.

Dave Carriger is related to the Cody Carriger that went from BHS to U of Oregon.

Curt McElroy was a Butte High defensive coach while I played at BHS. Now that guy was a firey coach! He had Mike Singletary eyes. Loved him.

Back