• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bozeman bests Missoula again

hunt-ducks

This doesn't belong in the football forum, so the mods can place it where they see fit. But, I just wanted to post that a major Silicon Valley cloud company, Snowflake, is re-locating from CA to Bozeman. Another example of how the community leaders of Bozeman are making the Missoula community leaders look like morons. Snowflake will add hundreds of high-paying, environmentally-clean jobs to the Bozeman economy, to help their residents pay for the astronomical increase in housing costs there.
Missoula also has seen housing costs skyrocket, but our city leaders worry more about encouraging homeless folks to come to town so that we can house them, feed them, and provide medical care, or painting rainbow crosswalks downtown, rather than working to add good jobs to our economy.
This difference in leadership slso transitions to the two state universities, where MSU prospers with growing enrollment, while UM continues it's downward spiral by failing to offer marketable degrees...... an example being the newly-added degree entitled "Women's Gender & Sexuality Studies". Such a coveted degree, with unlimited career opportunities!

Was Missoula ever really in the mix? My understanding is the CEO has been living in Bozeman for some time now and he's a huge winter sports guy (skiing), hence the name Snowflake and likely why they chose Bozeman.

Griz til I die said:
Was Missoula ever really in the mix? My understanding is the CEO has been living in Bozeman for some time now and he's a huge winter sports guy (skiing), hence the name Snowflake and likely why they chose Bozeman.

It is both...A little. Yes the CEO and I believe the CFO have houses here, BUT MSU is a big draw because of the amount of Tech students that go there. My Wife works at a Tech company here in Bozeman, and and they pull HEAVY from MSU with tons of interns and beginning level jobs available. Kids can get major experience at Oracle or many other Tech companies, then either stay there after graduation or move on with much more on their resume than most. On the other side, many people can make very good money, but still can't find housing in Bozeman...Not because they can't afford it, but because nothing is available.

SACCAT66 said:
Griz til I die said:

It is both...A little. Yes the CEO and I believe the CFO have houses here, BUT MSU is a big draw because of the amount of Tech students that go there. My Wife works at a Tech company here in Bozeman, and and they pull HEAVY from MSU with tons of interns and beginning level jobs available. Kids can get major experience at Oracle or many other Tech companies, then either stay there after graduation or move on with much more on their resume than most. On the other side, many people can make very good money, but still can't find housing in Bozeman...Not because they can't afford it, but because nothing is available.
A problem that I think may eventually hurt MSU. If there is nothing affordable to live in, how are college kids going to be able to afford Bozeman? I actually talked to a cat football player a couple weeks ago who I know pretty well, and he said he and 2 of his teammates are looking at an apartment and I believe he said they're paying somewhere around $1,800-2,000 for the place and that was all they could find. Granted, Missoula is having the same problem as Bozeman, although I don't think it's as quite bad but it's still not good. If this trend continues it has potential to really hurt both UM and MSU.

Griz til I die said:

No, I don't think Snowflake ever considered Missoula. And why would they with the current anti-business environment from the mayor and commissioners? I used the Snowflake move to Bozeman as a general illustration of why Bozeman is business-friendly, with the supporting high-tech programs offered by MSU providing access to an tech-savvy labor force, while Missoula remains stuck in the quicksand of inept leadership, both within the city, as well as at the university.

hunt-ducks said:
Griz til I die said:

No, I don't think Snowflake ever considered Missoula. And why would they with the current anti-business environment from the mayor and commissioners? I used the Snowflake move to Bozeman as a general illustration of why Bozeman is business-friendly, with the supporting high-tech programs offered by MSU providing access to an tech-savvy labor force, while Missoula remains stuck in the quicksand of inept leadership, both within the city, as well as at the university.

Then Bozeman didn’t “best” Missoula again.

But I agree with the rest of your alcohol-fueled rant about Missoula. :lol:

In addition to what has been said, Bozeman's tech scene, companies, workers, etc. are much bigger and more significant than Missoula's. Lots more places to move from job to job. Lots more networking.

Am I the only Bozeman resident/Cat fan that's feeling queezy about a company called 'Snowflake', and what that name represents recently, moving to Bozeman? I expect far more from CDA and others connecting the company's name with Bozeman and going on a multi-page rant about snowflakes and the shit pond and how everything in Bozeman is horrible! C'mon man, don't let me down!!

I didn't think this was a competition between Missoula and Bozeman anymore than it would be between Great Falls or Butte and Bozeman. A tech company wants to move to a tech/mountain town with a technical college for recruiting and this is one of those places. It's not a "Missoula bad/Bozeman good" story IMHO. As a nearly 40 year Bozeman resident, it honestly sucks to have more and more companies moving here. Things are good/great in Missoula, it's a more stable/established community vs. trendy and every new resident claiming they "discovered Bozeman". Around here, if you want a seat at a brew pub, you get there the minute it opens on a weekday or you end up waiting in line for an hour. Stupid.

It's definitely another example of what focus a university may want to have to attract students and employers who will hire them when they graduate. As said in many other threads, my guess is UM's insanely slow response to the realities of math (the "how to not go broke when it's obvious you're going broke" math)/money/reception/recruiting/retention is most likely tenure track and faculty union crap. They. Don't. Care. and they don't pay the price for staying the course, the rest of Montana does.

If you don't like rainbow crosswalks take a look at how you're voting every November. We get what we deserve.

This topic demonstrates the myopia of eGriz on one level, and Missoula on another level. The economy of Bozeman has taken off because of (1) Yellowstone Club/Big Sky $$$, (2) air travel to Gallitan Co. airport and telecommuting opportunities, and (3) symbiosis with MSU. In that order. It’s really not Missoula v. Bozeman (and just think about how people in Billings feel). I’m not sure how it will all shake out, but I wish I owned real estate in Bozeman. A rising tide lifts all boats, so this economic reconfiguration will be good for (a lot of) Montana.

heightsgriz said:
If you don't like rainbow crosswalks take a look at how you're voting every November. We get what we deserve.

I vote in Texas. If I were a liberal I’d also vote in Missoula.

Please. Stop.

A movie about Missoula was filmed in Bozangeles and LivingStoned. All of the sudden fly fishing became a fad. The elitists were bound to head for Bozoville and Big Sky.

Now? A series about Jellystone National Park complete with Boo Boo (notice the commercials with Yogi and Boo Boo?) Is being filmed in Sanfranzoola.

Don't worry about who or where is winning. I mean, for Christ's sake, didn't everybody realize Uncle Sugar Denny hauling all that shit in and around Bonner back up to Anaconda was going to seep back into the Clarks Fork? And killing all the "non-native" fish with retenone upstream of Swan Lake, the Madison, Yellowstone, Big Hole, etc. would decimate some of our trout streams--for a few years. BUT!!!! All the damn dudes and dudettes are going to be able to catch west slope cutthroats! Even in Yellowstone cutthroat water...

It's all going to equal out. Nice to know though, that the best fisheries in Montana are a royal cluster fuck by our educated idiots managing them--Flathead Lake's Lake Trout and Lake Koocanoosa. Fucking canucks gave us probably the best trophy trout fishery in the U.S.

Our flagship institutions are full of morons. Let's let all this great timber burn so we can have teddy bears and birdies all over the damn place. Then we can bitch and moan about the price of housing and all the fucking transplants who have moved here driving up the price of housing. Fuck it. Go have a Cold Smoke. Put it on PRs tab.

AZGrizFan said:
heightsgriz said:

And with the upcoming demographic changes, ‘you all’will soon be living in a ‘snowflake state.’

Ursa Major said:
AZGrizFan said:

And with the upcoming demographic changes, ‘you all’will soon be living in a ‘snowflake state.’

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
Facts are sometimes inconvenient. I understand that. :lol:

So there is proof that "libs" voted twice? I mean, there would have to be for it to be "factual".

Only in lib strongholds like Chicago, Detroit, Philly, Atlanta.....but other than that, no. :cool:

Back