• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bodnar is the choice

AZDoc said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
can't believe they hired a firm to find this guy and that firm didn't due it's due diligence (probably a short internet search) and make sure this was cleared up before any interview. it all kind of fits in with the easy master's degrees that sound a lot more grand than they are... but that is the way the world goes round. company- and military- supported resume exaggerations are the way to get ahead.

What due diligence wasn't done? He said he was an asst prof in economics at West Point, and stated it the way the military does (i.e. with the last job/rank), but you think it's a big deal that he was a instructor one year and an assistant prof the next year, even though his duties were the same? See below for more detail.

In the military, it looks like resumes don't reflect every rank/position someone has held. Has anyone ever see the progression of ranks and years of General Petraeus. Same way in business and law, except perhaps saying CEO since (year).

It's funny that you don't think being no. 1 in a class of almost 1,000, a Rhodes and Truman Scholar, a SF/Ranger, and a fairly high ranking person at GE (one of its subs/divisions) is a big deal and a bigger deal than being an instructor for one year instead of an asst prof for 2 years.

Personally, I think the incredibly long and detailed CV's used sometimes in academics are ridiculous. Too long. No one reads them. Looks like a bunch of bragging.

"my resumé reflects my title as 'Assistant Professor,' the academic rank I received during that assignment.
This is a common practice for officers in reflecting their West Point time on their resumés."

Through a UM spokeswoman, a retired brigadier general also said the way Bodnar recorded his service is typical in the military. In an email, Bodnar noted his official promotion to assistant professor was in January 2011, but he said his duties did not change and the title was in recognition of his performance."

The Missoulian and some of the faculty are silent on Engstrom and what he did to UM and attendance, but those types now want to pick at something like this. This is another example of what is wrong with the Missoulian and some in academia. UM and Missoula don't need people/organizations like this. They hurt the city and the school. But perhaps the research by these profs was a bit better than that of the large group of profs who did the Hauck letter, which had no basis in fact. Why aren't the Kaila and these profs complaining but the poor research and scholarship of the other large group of profs?

i'd ask if you can even read, but then i've asked that before... anyway, i didn't say he didn't have an impressive past, nor did i say he shouldn't have been interviewed. if you don't understand why an inaccurate resume, which it appears it is, shouldn't be corrected before the interview process, there ain't much hope for you. bodnar seems to understand, which is why he's going to correct it. i know academics aren't popular on this here chatroom about a sports team representing an academic institution, but we do like our accuracy. "everybody does it" is a lame excuse. be honest. straight. you know, like so many on here blather about but don't really follow up on when it comes to themselves.

funny, i knew i'd bring the crybabies out when i made my comment about cv exaggerations, which as you yourself pointed out, read like nothing but bragging. i've read a lot of academic cv's while deciding whether to give people tenure or not, and there are always people who seem to have done way more than is possible. a little detective work usually shows they are using the english language to it's fullest to bloat their background.

dude wasn't straight on his cv, but he's now in charge of a place where some consider accuracy to be of the highest importance. the negative publicity would never have popped up had someone on the search committee or whatever just said, hey, these don't match my search, can you clarify(bqm)

Doesn't is say that it's the verbiage that's different vs what was actually done? So on my CV if I say orthopedics that's NOT EXACTLY correct because I do Sports Medicine?

is all sports medicine orthopedics(bqm) is all orthopedics sports medicine(bqm) maybe you should put on your cv that you do both(bqm)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/shaunrainey/status/966340506891337728[/tweet]

Pretty much sums it up. Unless your agenda is to stir up shit that sells papers. Much as I like Amie, I’m done with all of their content. Like it matters, I know.

argh! said:
StittHappened said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
What due diligence wasn't done? He said he was an asst prof in economics at West Point, and stated it the way the military does (i.e. with the last job/rank), but you think it's a big deal that he was a instructor one year and an assistant prof the next year, even though his duties were the same? See below for more detail.

In the military, it looks like resumes don't reflect every rank/position someone has held. Has anyone ever see the progression of ranks and years of General Petraeus. Same way in business and law, except perhaps saying CEO since (year).

It's funny that you don't think being no. 1 in a class of almost 1,000, a Rhodes and Truman Scholar, a SF/Ranger, and a fairly high ranking person at GE (one of its subs/divisions) is a big deal and a bigger deal than being an instructor for one year instead of an asst prof for 2 years.

Personally, I think the incredibly long and detailed CV's used sometimes in academics are ridiculous. Too long. No one reads them. Looks like a bunch of bragging.

"my resumé reflects my title as 'Assistant Professor,' the academic rank I received during that assignment.
This is a common practice for officers in reflecting their West Point time on their resumés."

Through a UM spokeswoman, a retired brigadier general also said the way Bodnar recorded his service is typical in the military. In an email, Bodnar noted his official promotion to assistant professor was in January 2011, but he said his duties did not change and the title was in recognition of his performance."

The Missoulian and some of the faculty are silent on Engstrom and what he did to UM and attendance, but those types now want to pick at something like this. This is another example of what is wrong with the Missoulian and some in academia. UM and Missoula don't need people/organizations like this. They hurt the city and the school. But perhaps the research by these profs was a bit better than that of the large group of profs who did the Hauck letter, which had no basis in fact. Why aren't the Kaila and these profs complaining but the poor research and scholarship of the other large group of profs?

i'd ask if you can even read, but then i've asked that before... anyway, i didn't say he didn't have an impressive past, nor did i say he shouldn't have been interviewed. if you don't understand why an inaccurate resume, which it appears it is, shouldn't be corrected before the interview process, there ain't much hope for you. bodnar seems to understand, which is why he's going to correct it. i know academics aren't popular on this here chatroom about a sports team representing an academic institution, but we do like our accuracy. "everybody does it" is a lame excuse. be honest. straight. you know, like so many on here blather about but don't really follow up on when it comes to themselves.

funny, i knew i'd bring the crybabies out when i made my comment about cv exaggerations, which as you yourself pointed out, read like nothing but bragging. i've read a lot of academic cv's while deciding whether to give people tenure or not, and there are always people who seem to have done way more than is possible. a little detective work usually shows they are using the english language to it's fullest to bloat their background.

dude wasn't straight on his cv, but he's now in charge of a place where some consider accuracy to be of the highest importance. the negative publicity would never have popped up had someone on the search committee or whatever just said, hey, these don't match my search, can you clarify(bqm)

Since reading comprehension is your thing, here are some direct quotes from the article:

GE would not provide the Missoulian with details of Bodnar's job titles and responsibilities, citing personnel regulations. However, through UM communications director Paula Short, HR official Adam Yeloushan of GE Transportation confirmed Bodnar had provided factual information in his resumé.

“Seth accurately characterized his employment and leadership role at GE in his resumé," Yeloushan said in the statement provided by UM.

Also in a statement provided through UM, Michael Meese, retired brigadier general, confirmed Bodnar's tenure at West Point. Meese identified himself as head of the Department of Social Sciences when Bodnar was a faculty member.

“Seth Bodnar’s characterization of his time at West Point as an assistant professor is accurate and common practice for military officers serving on the U.S. Military Academy faculty.

"As a result of his excellent performance during his first year of teaching, Seth was promoted to 'Assistant Professor.' Because the duties and responsibilities of an instructor and assistant professor at West Point are essentially the same, officers who are promoted to assistant professor during their assignment list this title on their officer record brief (ORB) for the entirety of that assignment, just as Seth did."

Hmmmm......doesn't sound like an inaccurate resume to me

then why's he going to change it(bqm)

To accommodate the slow kids in the room

GoldenEagle said:
CDAGRIZ said:
GoldenEagle said:
PlayerRep said:
Here's a link to Bodnar's "resume" on the UM website. It is a resume, not a CV. Two different animals.

Both West Point/Army and GE has said Bodnar's descriptions in his resume were accurate. What's the point of the criticism. Would love to to know who the complaining profs are. People like that ought to move on from UM.

Probably the overpaid law school professors.

:lol: That's precious.
Hey, beats dealing with those diesel tech instructors whining about how the EWU provost doesn't even hold a valid forklift certification, amirite? Uptop!

OOPS, I didn't realize you were a lawyer/parasite. Some of us earned our doctorate.
What does the “D” in “J.D.” stand for?
So you logged on to your rivals board to talk trash and brag about how smart you are and you failed miserably at both?
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the most pathetic loser on the internet.

bgbigdog said:

Pretty much sums it up. Unless your agenda is to stir up shit that sells papers. Much as I like Amie, I’m done with all of their content. Like it matters, I know.
The only content of theirs I read is the stuff from Amie for football and Frank for Basketball. Their sports reporters kill it, but the rest of the paper is trash.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
bgbigdog said:

The only content of theirs I read is the stuff from Amie for football and Frank for Basketball. Their sports reporters kill it, but the rest of the paper is trash.

If only there was an online service that provided sports only stories for us to read, for say 7 or 8 bucks a month, and we could enjoy information about the Griz and the BSC...

AZDoc said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
bgbigdog said:

If only there was an online service that provided sports only stories for us to read, for say 7 or 8 bucks a month, and we could enjoy information about the Griz and the BSC...

Already there.

I don't have a problem with people asking questions about his resume (again, it wasn't a CV), but why do people have to immediately leak stuff like this to press? I guess it's the way much of the world works now.

PlayerRep said:
I don't have a problem with people asking questions about his resume (again, it wasn't a CV), but why do people have to immediately leak stuff like this to press? I guess it's the way much of the world works now.

The problem I have with it is the Missoulian's sensationalist headline that went with it. Trying to drum up controversy where there clearly wasn't.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
PlayerRep said:

The problem I have with it is the Missoulian's sensationalist headline that went with it. Trying to drum up controversy where there clearly wasn't.

I was fortunate enough to meet Mr. Bodnar last night, and I asked him about this. He said the faculty has been very supportive of him, and that cemented in my mind, that the Missoulian was doing exactly the bolded above.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
PlayerRep said:

You here people say that it was in the newspaper, it must be true. That is so far down on their list (the Missoulian's) that it is not even funny. Their number one job is to sell newspapers and they do that by creating controversy and the number one controversy in Missoula right now is the financial woes of the University and the U of M football team. The Missoulian knows if they can write a story about the football team it will sell more papers. Plain and simple.

At one point Lee Enterprises which own the Missoulian, the Gazette and the Great Falls Tribune had it's stock value dropped from a high of $50 per share in 2005 down to 28 cents in 2009 (think what that would do to your 401K). So they are doing anything they can to sell papers, even if it is crap journalism, just to stay afloat.

'68griz said:
Don't believe the Tribune is a Lee newspaper.

Gannett.

"Lee Enterprises has bought the free alternative weekly newspaper the Missoula Independent.

Lee already owns Missoula's daily newspaper, the Missoulian, along with the Billings Gazette, the Ravalli Republic, the Independent Record of Helena and the Montana Standard of Butte."

btw - Bowman is the chair of the faculty senate.

Sounds like the issue has been resolved satisfactorily and good on the faculty for quickly working with Bodnar and publicly resolving the issue.

Thursday, members of the executive council said the matter has been addressed for the time being having been taken to the president.

"We have considered this issue resolved," Bowman said.

At the meeting, faculty members also said they support the president. At the same time, they want to be able to ask questions when they arise, and Bowman said raising questions is part of a transparent campus.

"For us to carry forward somebody's questions does not mean that we are being disrespectful," Bowman said. "I don't know how many times to say it. The faculty support this president."

Also - besides the great job Amie does, the Missoulian has a good Sunday Crossword puzzle. The rest is the usual corporate journalism crap.

Because it's the offseason and there is nothing football related to talk about. Oh wait.......

Seriously though, Just as I chastise the Missoulian for only printing negative articles about our University, leadership, coach and especially athletic department it's only fair I say thanks for this. Now about that QB thing....

http://missoulian.com/news/local/rape-prevention-advocate-tells-her-story-to-university-of-montana/article_60d2e9f3-5a8c-587b-8638-7b9385756073.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Rape prevention advocate tells her story to University of Montana athletes

KEILA SZPALLER

The University of Montana brought a survivor of a reported 1998 gang rape turned advocate for preventing sexual violence in college athletics to talk Monday with coaches and some 280 student athletes.

In 2014, Brenda Tracy first publicly told her story about being raped by four men, two of them Oregon State University football players, in an Oregonian investigative piece. The story said the district attorney in Benton County, Oregon, believed he had a solid case with “piles of evidence” and a credible victim. But Tracy wavered in her willingness to testify, so charges were dropped; in the story, she said she wished she’d pursued charges.

She has been speaking to campuses about sexual assault prevention since roughly 2016. Last spring, UM Athletics Director Kent Haslam and senior associate athletic director Jean Gee heard her story at a conference.

Gee said Tracy's powerful talk clearly energized and galvanized the students who heard it, and UM subsequently signed an estimated $8,000 contract to bring the assault prevention advocate to campus. She said the Big Sky Conference Student-Athlete Advisory Committee also decided to bring Tracy to its campuses after hearing her last summer.

"She's got such an incredible message of a survivor, and what I really appreciate about her message is the positive nature," Gee said. "It's not, 'Don't do this, don't do that.' It's about how can we raise awareness? How can men be a part of this prevention? Obviously, it's preventable."

Tracy spent all of Monday with UM. Gee said she met with the coaching staffs for a Q&A, participated in a luncheon with response teams involved in prevention and education, visited with Haslam and Gee, and met with UM President Seth Bodnar.

In a statement provided by his communications director, Bodnar said UM was honored to partner with Tracy in her important work.

"I am inspired by Brenda’s strength, courage and leadership and grateful that she is here on campus to speak with our student athletes, coaches and leaders," Bodnar said.

"Her message to 'set the expectation' is an important one, and she is having tremendous impact on campuses across the country in reinforcing that sexual assault and physical violence are never OK."

Late Monday morning, Montana Grizzlies head football coach Bobby Hauck tweeted a picture of himself and Tracy: "Brenda Tracy speaking to the department today. Great to meet you Brenda, great message."

Hauck coached the Grizzlies from 2003 to 2009, leading the team to seven straight Big Sky Conference titles and to three FCS title games, and returned after the 2017 season.

His rehire at UM was controversial. Critics blamed him for contributing to a culture that resulted in violence including against women, while supporters praised his winning record and noted he left before federal investigators launched a review of UM's handling of sexual assault reports in 2012.

Hauck addressed critics at a public forum in February.

"I want to develop men of character, people who are great husbands, fathers, great in the community," Hauck said at the time.

Monday, Tracy said the staff at UM appeared motivated to step up and use their platforms to build a healthy culture. She also said many administrators were asking for her opinion, and she was encouraged by their interest.

"Today, I've had nothing but open ears and hearts, and I've felt really good about my visit thus far," Tracy said.

Rape has been a problem on campuses across the country. UM has had its share of the spotlight, partly after bestselling author Jon Krakauer wrote a book about the national issue and set it in Missoula.

Monday evening, Tracy planned to give a lecture to students that the Athletics Department had made mandatory, Gee said. Tracy said she does two things in her talk, starting with making sexual assault a personal issue rather than an abstract one.

"I share my story, and I do so in pretty graphic detail in an effort to humanize the issue," Tracy said.

She also said she encourages students to take action, even if it's a small step.

"I try to inspire them to get involved," Tracy said. "I spend quite a bit of time talking to the men in the audience, talking to them as the solution and why they should get involved, and the hope after I leave is that people are wanting to get involved."

She said that might mean believing a survivor, paying attention in a class about consent, or raising awareness: "This is preventable violence. It does not have to happen. And it is up to all of us to work on this together, especially men."

In his statement, President Bodnar said he believed Tracy's story would provide a significant benefit to the students who heard it: "I believe Brenda’s presentation will provide an emotional and powerful learning opportunity for our student athletes."

Gee said the Athletics Department tries to bring a presenter to campus each year on an issue important to students. In the past, UM has brought speakers to talk about social media responsibility, for instance, and also invited Jackson Katz to speak about issues of gender, race and violence.

In the future, she said UM hopes to bring a group named A Call To Men, which seeks to promote healthy and respectful manhood and shift attitudes and behaviors that devalue women and marginalized groups.

Back