• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky conference cancels 2020 college football season

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
No argument on the preamble.

Still looking for a case law citation to suggest that a court -- ANY court -- would rule that protecting society's health is not a role of the federal government. Feel free to post when you locate.

*It's not really much of a discussion.

Well, whether the Preamble required the president or federal government to deal with the Covid, as LA suggested it did, was the discussion most of us were having.

Nothing in the Constitution or Bill of Rights requires the federal government to deal with healthcare, health or the virus. Health and healthcare are not mentioned in those documents.

Generally, the president can act in those areas only as authorized and directed by Congress. Significant powers, but still limited to what is authorized. That's why Trump couldn't tell states what to do, in terms of locking down or re-opening. He said he could, but then had to back down immediately as he didn't have that authority, and Dems, and Repubs, so told him.

Also, the Constitution basically says that States have all powers not specifically reserved and given to the federal government. The federal government does not have absolute power. See the Tenth amendment.

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” US Constitution, Amendment X.

I think you have put more words into my short post than is necessary. No where do I claim the Preamble as a source of law. It is a synthesis of the entire document and I merely suggested it as a guide for those with open minds and hearts. You being a corporate lawyer/parasite, I expected you could at least read a simple statement.

GrizLA said:
PlayerRep said:
Well, whether the Preamble required the president or federal government to deal with the Covid, as LA suggested it did, was the discussion most of us were having.

Nothing in the Constitution or Bill of Rights requires the federal government to deal with healthcare, health or the virus. Health and healthcare are not mentioned in those documents.

Generally, the president can act in those areas only as authorized and directed by Congress. Significant powers, but still limited to what is authorized. That's why Trump couldn't tell states what to do, in terms of locking down or re-opening. He said he could, but then had to back down immediately as he didn't have that authority, and Dems, and Repubs, so told him.

Also, the Constitution basically says that States have all powers not specifically reserved and given to the federal government. The federal government does not have absolute power. See the Tenth amendment.

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” US Constitution, Amendment X.

I think you have put more words into my short post than is necessary. No where do I claim the Preamble as a source of law. It is a synthesis of the entire document and I merely suggested it as a guide for those with open minds and hearts. You being a corporate lawyer/parasite, I expected you could at least read a simple statement.

Don't see why you think I put words in your mouth. The entire post was directed at Everett, not you.

With Big Sky football off until spring, not much UM and FCS football to talk about, and no covid thread (which guests can access).

Some interesting economic stats. UK is sucking wind big time. "[UK] GDP declined by more than 20% in the second quarter, equivalent to an annualized rate of nearly 60%"

Of UK, Spain, Italy, France, Germany and UK, the GDP of the US declined the least of these countries in each of the first 2 quarters of 2020. UK's GNP decline was 20.4%, Spain's was 18.5%, France's was 13.8%, Italy's was 12.4%, Germany's was 10.1%, and US was 9.5%.

In virus deaths, UK, Spain, Italy, U.S, France (not much better than US), and Germany (much better than US). Virus deaths is measured this way in the article I read on this subject: "Cumulative confirmed Covid-19 deaths per million, seven-day rolling average".

New Zealand and Australia's success combatting covid are both very good. However, NZ's economic decline is expected to be twice as bad as Australia's. NZ shut down more of its economy. I couldn't find comparable figures to compare to the US and Europe.

Sweden's GNP declined 8.6%. "Its GDP drop in the second quarter was lower than the 12.1 average experienced in the Eurozone, as well as the 11.9 average across the whole of the EU."

PlayerRep said:
Sweden's GNP declined 8.6%. "Its GDP drop in the second quarter was lower than the 12.1 average experienced in the Eurozone, as well as the 11.9 average across the whole of the EU."

They(Sweden)didn't shut down their economy either.

Latest posts

Back