• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky assistant commissioner Jon Kasper on Dave Dickenson, Road to Reno, Boise and more

alabamagrizzly said:
braves84 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
braves84 said:
I think everybody gets your point, but be honest if you were a fan of any mountain west team would the prospect of Montana joining your conference do anything for you? Gotta think there are a lot of other fbs teams that would draw more interest and bring more to the table than a fcs school. Do you think unlv, Colorado State or a team like new Mexico would be thrilled. Just honestly curious?

I’m guessing your right that some of those teams wouldn’t be thrilled but not for the reasons your implying. More likely they wouldn’t want to move farther down the ladder to an FCS team coming into their con. For one, our avg football attendance would put us about 6th in the MWC, ahead of most those teams you mention. BBall wise, we’d be about 8th, but I’m guessing that would quickly climb with bigger and better teams coming to town. As for your point of other FBS teams bringing more to the table, uh no, unless your thinking the MW could get some P12 or B12 teams to come aboard.
I would think teams like utep, byu maybe even a team like Texas -san Antonio.

First I think your point of the FBS fan bases seeing us as JC is mute. For one, they are not the ones that will make that decision, it’s the educated individuals who control the con, as in the con commissioner, con officials, and probably school AD’s to an extent if they’re not already involved in the con decision making. They are able to see the bigger picture and the benefits, and consequences, of inviting an FCS team to move up w/out just talking out their a**es like your average FBS “fan base”.

Secondly, obviously yes, BYU would be widely accepted back to the MW over any other non FBS school and possibly NM St but your other two suggestions, no. UTEP was 0-12 last year in Con-USA and the only benefit they’d bring is a footprint in Texas. As for Tex-SA, they’ve only been in existence since ‘11 and we’re invited to the lowly Sun Belt two years later and have been up and mostly down since then so no to them too over us.

Thirdly, as for the timing being right, I agree and as for our facilities, yes, now is a good time. Competitiveness wise, ‘08 or ‘09 would have been better and we’re not back there yet.

Fourthly, the only reason the B10 wouldn’t take NDSU is cus they’d be afraid of losing to them like they’ve always done with NDSU as an FCS team. Ok, that may be a bit of an exaggeration but I think any non P5 con would be more then happy to accept them if they were interested but like us 8 years ago, they’re happy being the big fish in our little FCS pond.

Im sure as soon as there is a real playoff at the FBS level, one that allows all FBS conferences to compete in. NDSU would be the first FCS team to jump out of the small pond. Followed shortly by the JMU's and Montana's of the FCS.

As a Weber State fan. I find playing in the FCS playoffs and an actual chance at a National Championship far more appealing than a bowl game. I would only want to see Weber move up if and ONLY if there was a real playoff at that next level. Until that time comes I am quite content seeing Weber in the FCS.

Back