• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best Montana-born RB in history...

uofmman1122 said:
I think you give the nod to Chase, simply because he accomplished more in three years at UM than Hilliard accomplished in four. Don't get me wrong, I love Lex, and I still think we would've won the chipper in 2006 if he had never gotten hurt, but both Reynolds' and Hilliard's pro careers are pretty comparable. Lex only got reps at running back because he's more the size NFL teams are looking for.

Either way, both were phenomenal players that we were lucky to have.

It's also pretty obvious who the #1 QB will be in their QB rankings.

I'm not trying to sound too arrogant (too late?), but how can you say "both Reynolds and Hilliards pro career are pretty comparable"? The number of games? Sure, but Chase covered kickoffs (and was not deemed a legit NFL RB by experts that know more than any of us), while Lex was given goal-line scoring opportunities. That is a monumental gap in NFL relevance, and since their college careers are very similar, I don't see how it's even a debate. The NFL is the ultimate barometer of being the best in the sport.

oGriz said:
Don't have an opinion. Loved watching both Lex and Chase. Both were Walter Payton Award finalists. I won't vouch for the stats below, but these are what I found.

Ted Illman, Glasgow, played in 5 NFL games

Milt Popovich, Butte, drafted in the second round - 15th pick, played 5 years for the Cardinals, played in 43 NFL games

Kerry Porter, Great Falls, drafted in the 7th round, played in 35 NFL games

Lex Hilliard, Kalispell, drafted in the sixth round, played a little for Miami and New England, played in 62 NFL games

Chase Reynolds, Drummond, undrafted, played a little for Seattle, was a “Rams standout special teams player,” played in 60 NFL games

UM Rushing Yards (since 1970)
4016 Lex Hilliard (1st)
3991 Chase Reynolds (2nd)

UM Receiving Yards (since 1970)
866 Chase Reynolds (10th)

Milt Popovich was by far the highest drafted Montana RB.

s-l1600.jpg

Eso Naranche was hands down, my favorite, Montana RB (Worked in the mines in HS and played in three state championship football games, winning two of them, Grizzly Hall of Fame, War Hero):

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWlqsp_U7tI[/media]

Back