• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Arizona, USC, Louisville Ect... Fed investigation

I wonder how long it will be before this leaks into the NCAA football?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/912669075440054272[/tweet]

All this is reported... WOW, its a monster of a story!

Arizona assistant Emanuel Richardson (Arrested and Charged of taking Bribes)
Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl:
Auburn assistant Coach Chuck Person (Arrested and Charged)
Oklahoma State assistant Lamont Evans: (Arrested and Charged)
USC assistant Tony Bland: (Arrested and Charged)
Alabama men’s basketball administrator Kobie Baker, (Resigned)

Louisville head coach Rick Pitino: (Leave of Absence/ Fired)
Tom Jurich Louisville AD (Fired)

Under investigation
Auburn Basketball
The South Carolina Gamecocks Basketball
The Louisville Cardinals Basketball
Miami Hurricanes Basketball
Oklahoma State Basketball
Arizona State Basketball

...petino has 44 million on his contract...
...a regular guy/coach wouldn't get a dime...
...the little piece of siht will get most of it...

... :liar: ...

1. I see that the Adidas contract pays U of Louisville $160 million to be an Adidas school. No wonder that Adidas then pays top players to sign with Louisville - Adidas is protecting its $160 million investment.

2. The kid (Bowen??) who signed with Louisville negotiated between Adidas and another shoe company to get the $150,000 for signing with Louisville. Shouldn't these "kids" and their parents be regarded as crooks and go to jail too? They knew what they were doing and they shouldn't be regarded as victims.

3. If a school wins the NCAA golf championship, I assume the school gets no money. Isn't it time to "achieve parity" and "level the playing field" by equally distributing the NCAA basketball millions to all NCAA basketball school on an equal basis rather than having the millions that the NCAA pays to the Final Four participants?

The Big Sky rep gets beat up in the NCAAs nearly every year and we get nothing for playing and losing while the schools that play and win get millions - and then they are able to win again because they have the money. We never before could have asked for more money but can't the Big Sky Presidents start a movement to equally distribute the television revenue from the Road to the Final Four Bank - we just want to stop the criminal activity?

Come on Big Sky officials - this is the time to act. Let's get our Congressional people involved. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the little schools. While we are at it, let's have Congressional legislation to bring the big bowl money and the Final Four money into one pot to be equally distributed.

4. I don't know how we ever stop Adidas from paying Louisville $160 million for being an Adidas school - but until we do, the payments to the best athletes will continue.

While I agree penalties should be assessed, I think it would send the wrong message by the NCAA to death penalty the UL Men's B-ball program. They didn't death penalty Penn State football for knowingly keeping around a coach who had been molesting young boys for 20+ years - and Pat Forde thinks they should death penalty a B-ball team for taking truck loads of cash? Gtfoh.

Wow, $160 million from Adidas to Louisville. I had no idea. I was knocked out that Kevin Durant had a $100 million contract with Nike. But this is staggering. Hey, I have no morals, only a price. Drop me a line, Addidas!

As for Montana, we watched as Boise State, Nevada and Idaho jumped to the then WAC, with mixed results, obviously. I was on the move-up wagon back then, and still think today we'd be in the MWC, where we belong, and where we would have a bit more clout with the NCAA. Plus it would have been a bonanza for both basketball programs. As it is, no way the NCAA shares the money with the smaller schools, or seeks any kind of justice. You can't stop corruption, not when this quantity of bucks is at stake. This will all blow over. The big schools will survive, intact.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
While I agree penalties should be assessed, I think it would send the wrong message by the NCAA to death penalty the UL Men's B-ball program. They didn't death penalty Penn State football for knowingly keeping around a coach who had been molesting young boys for 20+ years - and Pat Forde thinks they should death penalty a B-ball team for taking truck loads of cash? Gtfoh.

The big difference (and why they might get the death penalty) is that UL was already on probation for the prostitutes scandal.

With it also now coming out that in the FBI's indictments Pitino is "Coach-2" it doesn't look too good for UL.

From that article:

A Louisville assistant coach who attended that Las Vegas meeting, in which Dawkins discussed efforts to get a 2019 recruit to Louisville, said, “the mom is like . . . we need our f***ing money. So we got to be able to fund this situation,” and, “we’re all working together to get this kid to University-6 [Louisville.]” Dawkins also noted in the meeting that since the university was already on probation they had to be careful with the money, and the assistant responded, “we got be very low key.”

At the meeting, Augustine also said that he expected adidas to fund at least a part of future payments to the 2019 recruit and his family because, referring to a coach media accounts have since identified as Pitino, “no one swings a bigger d*** at Company-1 [adidas] than Coach-2 [Pitino],” and adding, “all Coach-2 [has to do] is pick up the phone and call somebody [and say] these are my guys, they’re taking care of us.”

After the assistant left the room, Dawkins and Augustine then proceeded to discuss a prior deal with the agent, in which the family of a player since identified by media accounts as Brian Bowen agreed to attend Louisville in exchange for $100,000 in payments from adidas. Dawkins talked about some of the logistics of the deal, and noted that at one point, he had to raise the amount and tell Coach-2 [Pitino], “I need you to call Jim Gatto, who’s the head of everything,” at adidas’ basketball program.

Gatto, the director of global marketing for adidas who was charged with wire fraud and money laundering counts, was placed on leave by the company after the charges were unsealed Tuesday.

The federal complaint then states that an agent reviewed Gatto’s phone records and found two telephone conversations with a phone number used by Coach-2 on May 27 and another on or about June 1. On June 3, Bowen officially committed to Louisville.

With the FBI raiding the office of ASM, Nike's EYBL being served with subpoenas, and much more going on this mess is likely going to get a lot bigger and be very bad for several big time programs. So far the schools mentioned in the indictments are Auburn, South Carolina, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Southern California, Louisville and Miami (FL).

Alabama had their associate athletic director (who oversaw Basketball operations) resign for reasons related to the FBI Investigation too (article here). He was the former Assistant Director of Enforcement for Basketball Development at the NCAA and also worked as the Associate Director of Amateurism Certification at the NCAA before being hired at Alabama.

It's going to be interesting to see how this all changes college basketball and the NCAA.

I will try to be eloquent and short.
Meaningful change vs. MONEY (lots of it)....and the winner is?

fanofzoo said:
I will try to be eloquent and short.
Meaningful change vs. MONEY (lots of it)....and the winner is?

Also short: Greed hath no conscience.

(Which is why the "free market" needs regulations.)

616s6e said:
1. I see that the Adidas contract pays U of Louisville $160 million to be an Adidas school. No wonder that Adidas then pays top players to sign with Louisville - Adidas is protecting its $160 million investment.

2. The kid (Bowen??) who signed with Louisville negotiated between Adidas and another shoe company to get the $150,000 for signing with Louisville. Shouldn't these "kids" and their parents be regarded as crooks and go to jail too? They knew what they were doing and they shouldn't be regarded as victims.

3. If a school wins the NCAA golf championship, I assume the school gets no money. Isn't it time to "achieve parity" and "level the playing field" by equally distributing the NCAA basketball millions to all NCAA basketball school on an equal basis rather than having the millions that the NCAA pays to the Final Four participants?

The Big Sky rep gets beat up in the NCAAs nearly every year and we get nothing for playing and losing while the schools that play and win get millions - and then they are able to win again because they have the money. We never before could have asked for more money but can't the Big Sky Presidents start a movement to equally distribute the television revenue from the Road to the Final Four Bank - we just want to stop the criminal activity?

Come on Big Sky officials - this is the time to act. Let's get our Congressional people involved. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the little schools. While we are at it, let's have Congressional legislation to bring the big bowl money and the Final Four money into one pot to be equally distributed.

4. I don't know how we ever stop Adidas from paying Louisville $160 million for being an Adidas school - but until we do, the payments to the best athletes will continue.

I agree 616, divide the March Madness pie up better. Every conference should get a minimum payout (ex. $5,000,000) then you can divide the rest of the TV money up for participating teams and conferences. Would put more money to the conferences to assist programs on a more substantial level. In 2007, based on the 2001 through 2006 tournaments, the Big East received over $14.85 million, while the eight conferences that did not win a first-round game in those six years received slightly more than $1 million each. The NCAA gets about $500MM/year from the TV contracts.

Back