• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Are we EVER Going There ?

Huh? My 5th para says nothing about moving down. You can’t even read.

Huh? My 5th para says nothing about moving down. You can’t even read.
Your quote..."as good of a program as UM is, and as successful of a team that it is, it's not set up geographically, tv Market wise, financially, or otherwise, to be fcs".

It's right on there page . post number 18.

Since you're not a proponent of u of montana going fbs, it must mean that you think they would be better off at the d2 level or NAIA.

How would Title IX cause UM to do more if it moves to FBS?
I believe Montana complies by keeping the percentages of men and women participating in athletics substantially proportionate to the percentages of men and women enrolled at the university. When Montana added women's softball, gender percentages in enrollment was a factor.
Unless the new Title IX rule moved away from this method of compliance, Montana would probably continue to do it this way.

Cannot WAIT for our 2027 schedule to be announced, jam packed with great fcs teams like Pomona and Claremont Mudd!! That's going to be a party!!

Your quote..."as good of a program as UM is, and as successful of a team that it is, it's not set up geographically, tv Market wise, financially, or otherwise, to be fcs".

Since you're not a proponent of u of montana going fbs, it must mean that you think they would be better off at the d2 level or NAIA.
C'mon manning, waiting for your excuse or apology.

I said nothing about moving DOWN. I was saying UM should move up.

I remember in the 90s when Boise St moved up and they were one of our biggest rivalry games next to Montana St. And Boise St actually performed at a high level pretty quickly. I mean it wasn't right away, but they sure didn't have to wait long. I always thought our Griz program was right alongside Boise St during those years and would always wonder if they did it then why couldn't we? You would think Montana would've went up a long time ago. I'm still pissed they left the FCS teams out of the new NCAA football game coming out in a next couple of months. I was looking forward to playing with Montana and starting my own dynasty and call the plays we should in real life. Hahahaha.

UM will never move up to FBS, as we know it now. And not to anything similar.

How has D-I football changed in the last 40 years? Has the NCAA caused and created any of the changes?

Conferences have changed and re-aligned. Very significant changes. Those were caused by the schools, conferences and tv money. Some FCS teams have moved up. The FCS playoffs have expanded. The FBS playoffs were created and are expanding. The Portal came and no-sit rule adopted (NCAA was involved in that). NIL was created. What else? Women's basketball has grown significantly.

The supposed third middle division has been discussed, but never even proposed by anyone of authority, to my knowledge. It has become harder to get into FBS. Top conferences have maximized and consolidated their tv money.

As good of a program as UM is, and as successful of a team that it is, it's not set up, geographically, tv market wise, financially, or otherwise, to be FCS.

Changes are mostly being driven by money and tv contracts, not by competition. Sometimes not even by geography anymore. I can't imagine that the lower level FBS teams in the region would even want UM and MSU to join them, unless those FBS teams were left by themselves by the big boys of FCS and just needed to have a slightly larger conference.

I said nothing about moving DOWN. I was saying UM should move up.
In the very 1st sentence you clearly stated.

"UM will never move up to FBS, as we know it now. And not anything similar". .

Now what's your excuse?

Now what's your excuse?
Read what I said. They won't move up, and nowhere did I say they would move down. UM would never move down. UM will stay where it is. Learn to read.

Now what's your excuse?
😂 How many times did you screw up the post button in this thread? This is hilarious and 1122 hit the nail on the head. You are trying to be funny but just look so stupid.

You are the living embodiment of every North Dakota joke we tell.

Can’t read. Can’t write. Can’t do anything right. How the hell did you manage to post a superscript number? That takes a high level of incompetence which must come naturally to you

My ability to read, and comprehend is totally on point, your abitility to write anything comprehensible blows.

I've shown you and every body else how you've contradicted yourself numerous times in one post alone..

You've been owned once again on this, now go enjoy your oatmeal and warm milk.. its now nap time for you old man

😂 How many times did you screw up the post button in this thread? This is hilarious and 1122 hit the nail on the head. You are trying to be funny but just look so stupid.

You are the living embodiment of every North Dakota joke we tell.

Can’t read. Can’t write. Can’t do anything right. How the hell did you manage to post a superscript number? That takes a high level of incompetence which must come naturally to you
He's the human embodiment of this picture every time he says anything on this website.

dcjowjpyugr71.jpg

We have seen over the years some of the more competitive FCS programs move to FBS. Even some of the more recently competitive ones. I believe these institutions see the writing in the wall.
Sure many of them will not be in a power conf. However, I think they see or at least realize the move needed to be made. I think that the power conference will limit or get rid of cupcake games with FCS.
The G5 will be those warm up games in my opinion. The G5 will be wanting paydays from the power conf and I think the G5 will get rid of playing FCS as well. Especially if you think about a G5 school possibly getting into an expanded playoff. The more quality wins will aid in that.
I believe that if UM doesn’t want to get left behind again, they are going to have to be aggressive on planning. UM has invested way too much to get shuffled to the back.
If UM has zero desire to be in a G5 conference then they certainly shouldn’t plan on spending a bunch of money on athletics.
Honestly, could you imagine if say the Dakota schools all decided to go FBS / join a G5 conference.
At that point who would the FCS still really have for teams that produce? UM, MSU……

If either the MWC goes away or the PAC2 in some manner of realignment, UM, MSU, the dakotas, and a few others should form a new conference that is “FBS” to be that other west coast conference.
If the PACWest merges there’s only one FBS conference on the west coast.
Heck maybe the PAC2 gets into the Big12. Even if that happens I think UM, MSU and the Dakotas would all be wise to show interest in the MWC. At least try and get a seat at the table. That would be a pretty decent conference.

I have never been a fan of moving up. But the caliber of football played at the FCS level has diminished so much that we are now watching something closer to what Division II used to look like. Should be obvious by the low number of FCS players being drafted now, compared to 20+ years ago. There were times in the 90s when FCS had 15-20 or so players drafted.

The best FCS players now are talking NIL money and bolting to FBS to enhance their chances of playing on Sundays

We have seen over the years some of the more competitive FCS programs move to FBS. Even some of the more recently competitive ones. I believe these institutions see the writing in the wall.
Sure many of them will not be in a power conf. However, I think they see or at least realize the move needed to be made. I think that the power conference will limit or get rid of cupcake games with FCS.
The G5 will be those warm up games in my opinion. The G5 will be wanting paydays from the power conf and I think the G5 will get rid of playing FCS as well. Especially if you think about a G5 school possibly getting into an expanded playoff. The more quality wins will aid in that.
I believe that if UM doesn’t want to get left behind again, they are going to have to be aggressive on planning. UM has invested way too much to get shuffled to the back.
If UM has zero desire to be in a G5 conference then they certainly shouldn’t plan on spending a bunch of money on athletics.
Honestly, could you imagine if say the Dakota schools all decided to go FBS / join a G5 conference.
At that point who would the FCS still really have for teams that produce? UM, MSU……

If either the MWC goes away or the PAC2 in some manner of realignment, UM, MSU, the dakotas, and a few others should form a new conference that is “FBS” to be that other west coast conference.
If the PACWest merges there’s only one FBS conference on the west coast.
Heck maybe the PAC2 gets into the Big12. Even if that happens I think UM, MSU and the Dakotas would all be wise to show interest in the MWC. At least try and get a seat at the table. That would be a pretty decent conference.
Title 9 keeps us from making the move-up

I will have to go back and look, but I am pretty sure that part of the discussion was that the G5 schools would limit, and even negate, the ability for FCS teams to move up if a playoff was approved. The existing schools don't want to dilute the money.
Sounds like a blatent violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act. The G5 will never be able to stop a legitimately deserving group of schools, like those in the hypothetical Snowbelt, from moving up.

finally got my corn eaten so lets put some salt on the next ear.

Montana has gotten lucky over the years with quality Montana players supporting drop downs but times are changing.We are losing our players to the FBS .You can only drain the sink so much then there is no water left. We also got lucky last year getting by with a DII quaterback.Possibly we have a couple a couple good ones now but what about the future ? Are we gonna play portal poker and hope we can draw a good hand or are we gonna move up and recruit better quality players and better quality teams?

finally got my corn eaten so lets put some salt on the next ear.

Montana has gotten lucky over the years with quality Montana players supporting drop downs but times are changing.We are losing our players to the FBS .You can only drain the sink so much then there is no water left. We also got lucky last year getting by with a DII quaterback.Possibly we have a couple a couple good ones now but what about the future ? Are we gonna play portal poker and hope we can draw a good hand or are we gonna move up and recruit better quality players and better quality teams?
Well isn’t everyone playing portal poker and trying to figure out how to manage in the new Wild West landscape of college football with NIL?

Back