• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3-3-5 Defense Re-Visited

Tim Hauck and Cooper were not designing the defense last year. They were trying to develop a solution with their position groups to be successful under the limitations of the defense they were forced to run by their head coach. And now they are........ which led me to create this thread in the first place.
Lol. So Bradford had nothing to do with it either?

The most current FCS coaches poll would disagree. It far outweighs one man’s opinion.

1 SDSU
2 Montana
3 NDSU
t4 Idaho
t4 South Dakota
I'm glad you posted this ranking. Another poll has Montana ranked #3 behind NDSU and SDSU going into he 2024 season. You saved me from posting it. So, if Hauck doesn't take us to the National Championship game again this season, it will mean that he failed to live-up to what the pundits say he should, unless we meet one of these two prior to Frisco. I'm sure that we won't have to play both NDSU and SDSU on the way to Frisco, as one will probably be eliminated before we have to play them. But, since we already know that the probability of having all home playoff games before Frisco is very high, we'll probably face one of them at home if we get that far.

It's all set-up for a re-peat to Frisco, right? The pressure will be on Bobby like never before to deliver. Get your excuses list going early, to save the rush. Return To Dominance will be the test-of-the-year once again in Year Six.

If you’re not into ancient history, it’s interesting you’d dismiss LAST SEASON’S results simply becuase it doesn’t fit your narrative.
Let me get this straight. Hauck has one good season out of 5, and that is good enough for you to anoint his second tenure as a success? Hilarious. If you are honest, which you aren't, you'll admit that we could have easily lost both the Furman and the NDSU games, including our own version of "the immaculate reception" saving a certain loss. If we had lost either of those games, would you still be lauding Hauck as a great coach? Even more important....... if Bobby had to play either Furman or NDSU on a neutral field, could he have won those games. Remember, his away lifetime playoff record is 2-9. He seems to love those two-win numbers.

He had one aberration season at UNLV too, going 7-6 in the middle of four 2-win seasons. Hard to argue with facts, huh? Bottom line...... I don't live by one aberration season. I go by his total body of work.

Last edited:
And why again does it catch your attention? This should be good
I said Kevin was the pitching coach, but meant to say the hitting coach. He lives in the Kansas City area, but has a condo in North Scottsdale, and spends lots of time in the winter here. I realize that you and your buddies don't allow mistakes, but I occasionally make one. Kinda like saying that Bill Belichick didn't play college football, right?

I'm glad you posted this ranking. Another poll has Montana ranked #3 behind NDSU and SDSU going into he 2024 season. You saved me from posting it. So, if Hauck doesn't take us to the National Championship game again this season, it will mean that he failed to live-up to what the pundits say he should, unless we meet one of these two prior to Frisco. I'm sure that we won't have to play both NDSU and SDSU on the way to Frisco, as one will probably be eliminated before we have to play them. But, since we already know that the probability of having all home playoff games before Frisco is very high, we'll probably face one of them at home if we get that far.

It's all set-up for a re-peat to Frisco, right? The pressure will be on Bobby like never before to deliver. Get your excuses list going early, to save the rush. Return To Dominance will be the test-of-the-year once again in Year Six.
If the pundits say UM is ranked no. 3, that means they believe UM should go to the national championship game? Think about that.

To get back to the topic of the thread, and skip the inane attempts (all futile), to discredit anything I posted, I will ask each of you to comment on the following:

Please name a single team who has won a national championship in the NFL, FBS, or FCS, who utilizes the 3-3-5 as their base defense...... I'll wait

To get back to the topic of the thread, and skip the inane attempts (all futile), to discredit anything I posted, I will ask each of you to comment on the following:

Please name a single team who has won a national championship in the NFL, FBS, or FCS, who utilizes the 3-3-5 as their base defense...... I'll wait
Please name all the college teams with a 4-3 who have never won national championship. I'll wait.

Let me get this straight. Hauck has one good season out of 5, and that is good enough for you to anoint his second tenure as a success? Hilarious. If you are honest, which you aren't, you'll admit that we could have easily lost both the Furman and the NDSU games, including our own version of "the immaculate reception" saving a certain loss. If we had lost either of those games, would you still be lauding Hauck as a great coach? Even more important....... if Bobby had to play either Furman or NDSU on a neutral field, could he have won those games. Remember, his away lifetime playoff record is 2-9. He seems to love those two-win numbers.

He had one aberration season at UNLV too, going 7-6 in the middle of four 2-win seasons. Hard to argue with facts, huh? Bottom line...... I don't live by one aberration season. I go by his total body of work.
Let me get this straight: You’re not into ancient history, but you keep harping on what happened with Bobby 4-5 years ago. You’re not into ancient history but you keep harping that NDSU is one of the 2 best teams yet they’ve won just ONE title in 4 years. You keep saying it’s all about “what have you done for me lately” yet want to dismiss last year’s title run as an aberration. You dismiss wins against quality teams as “luck”, and losses are attributed to poor coaching.

You’re a fucking tool.

You mean….like literally every OTHER team that played SDSU? (I presume THEY all used the 4-3???
Turdandlong responds to every post, but conveniently ignores those he doesn’t have an answer for.

Let me simplify it for you: If the 4-3 is so fucking great, how did not a SINGLE team that runs the 4-3 beat SDSU last year? Not one. 14 fucking tries and not ONE could be them. Only THREE teams held them under 34 points: ‘Scats, Western Illinois, Villanova and the 3-3-5.

Back