• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MBBALL 2024-25 Griz Basketball Schedule Tracker

Griz til I die

DONOR
The offseason is officially upon us, so with that, welcome to the 2024-25 Griz Basketball Schedule Tracker! I will keep us updated throughout the entire offseason as we begin to see tweets and updates about the Griz nonconference schedule through Spring and Summer and all the way up to the eventual announcement in August (hopefully). God willing we don’t go what we went through last Summer having to wait all the way into late September to get the official announcement as the Griz had an absolutely brutal time building a nonconference schedule last year. It wasn’t exactly the most attractive schedule we’ve ever seen that had 3 in season home and homes. I would prefer not to see that again. Here are some of my expectations for what for what next seasons schedule will look like:

• 18 Conference game schedule that will begin Thursday, January 2 and conclude Monday, March 3. I expect the conference schedule to be very similar to this season’s schedule where 16 of the 18 games will be played on Thursdays and Saturdays and 2 Monday games including the final night of the regular season on March 3. Typically, the only difference year to year is they tend to invert your schedule. For example, we played Eastern and MSU at home in the 2nd half of conference play, so I would expect next year we will play them at home in the first half of conference play. The conference tournament in Boise will run from March 8-12, 2025.

• 13 non-conference games that will feature a mix of money games, non-D1’s, mid majors, and an MTE (likely the Zootown Classic in some form or fashion). The athletic department has done a really good job over the last couple of seasons of getting at least half of our nonconference games at home. I expect they will make a similar effort for next season as well. Some things to look for and keep in mind:

• The Big Sky-Summit League Challenge will return for a second consecutive season. I can confirm that the Challenge series will once again be the 2-game format (1 home, 1 road) and will be played during the first week of December this year, so there is no disrupting the conference schedule like there was this year. Games will be played on Wednesday December 4 and Saturday December 7. The Griz finished 3rd in the regular season standings this year which means we will likely play the 3rd and 4th place finishers in the Summit League, and this year those two teams were UMKC and St. Thomas, which will be fun cause I’m tired of playing the Dakota schools every year and I’d like to see some of these other Summit League teams for a change. If these are our 2 scheduled opponents, then this could open the door for the Griz to also schedule a team like NDSU or UND or SDSU for additional home games if we need to. Last year, the Big Sky-Summit League Challenge opponents were announced in early May, so expect a similar timeframe this go around as well.

• Conference realignment. While it still breaks my heart to see the PAC12 crumble under it’s own weight, the demise of the PAC12 is going to have a major effect on the ability to get money games on the west coast. Currently, 4 PAC12 member are joining the BIG 10 (USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon) 4 are joining the Big 12 (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State) 2 are joining the ACC (Stanford, CAL) and the remaining 2 are joining the WCC (Washington State, Oregon State). How this will affect our ability to get money games from power conference teams on the west coast, I have no idea. It could be a positive or a negative effect, but it’s too early to say. All I know is it was becoming increasingly tough to get PAC12 teams to schedule us as the years went by. Whether we schedule former PAC12 teams or somebody else, my guess is we will schedule at least 2 power 5 teams in our nonconference schedule. Last year these 2 teams were Oregon and Houston. I don’t think we will see either of those 2 teams on our schedule again for a while, but I do think it will be a strong possibility that we see teams similar to that on our schedule.

• With the PAC12 now gone, the Mountain West now becomes the dominant conference on the west coast. This season we played 3 games against the Mountain West (2 against SJSU, and @ Nevada), and have also scheduled teams like Air Force and New Mexico in recent years. I think for the foreseeable future, we will schedule at least 1 Mountain West team every year. Who will it be this year? I think San Jose State could pop up again, I think Colorado State is a possibility, maybe even Wyoming? It will be interesting to see, but I think it would be good for the Griz to get in the habit of regularly playing Mountain West teams, and we’ve had our success against the Mountain West in recent years. So we’ll see what happens.

• Expect at least 2-3 non D1 opponents again next year. Northern has made it onto our schedule the last 2 seasons, Tech made it on this year as a late addition (it was the last game added) as well as Northwest Indian College to open the season. Some teams we haven’t seen in a while are Carroll, Western and Rocky. Could we see one of those three this year? I think it’s likely.

• What can we expect to see for mid-majors? I think we’ll see some Big West opponents, maybe a WCC opponent, Summit League could range somewhere between 2-4 games on our schedule, but I would set the over/under at 3 for them. Could we get another home game against a Mountain West team? That would be great but I wouldn’t hold my breath, especially as the Mountain west becomes more and more popular. There’s always the possibility of an east coast team or 2 making their way onto our schedule as well.
Now let’s take a look at the timeline and when we can expect some announcements on the schedule:

• The D1 Docket which is one of the best sources out there for tracking non-conference schedules, will likely start announcing known non-conference games for teams in the coming weeks. I would be surprised if he had any known games for the Griz, but we could find out as soon as next Thursday after the Big Sky tournament ends. Expect the D1 Docket to be released shortly after the conclusion of the NCAA tournament.

• Expect the earliest announcements on the schedule to come in around late April or early May, and the majority of the announcements to start rolling in around late May and all through June and July. Rocco Miller and Jon Rothstein typically will start announcing games shortly after the NCAA tournament ends.

• Expect the conference schedule to be released sometime in June. The Big Sky got it out pretty early last year, I was impressed. Expect a similar timeline this year.

• Expect the complete Griz Basketball schedule in August. I know we didn’t get this years schedule until late September, but I think that was an anomaly. They had a difficult time and I do not see them struggling that badly again this year. I think we will get back to a more traditional timeline this year.
I know the offseason can be quite long, but we’ll get through this and I will do my best to keep you all updated on all the news pertaining to next season’s schedule. In the meantime, I look forward to the offseason discussion as I’m sure there will be quite a lot of it. Enjoy the NCAA Tournament everyone! Go Griz!

Well I know nobody is really all that excited about playing in the CBI, myself included, but if there is one silver lining to doing it, it's that I could see some opportunity to potentially work out some home and home or MTE opportunities with some of the teams in the playing field. I hope the staff takes that into consideration. I'd love to get Seattle and/or UC San Diego on the schedule next year. Perhaps some of those east coast teams like Presbyterian or Fairfield would be good ones to try and convince to come play in an MTE in Missoula. Really hope they have conversations while they're down there.

Just a quick update for everyone. I went back and looked at last years timeline and noticed that last seasons Big Sky - Summit League Challenge opponents were announced on May 5, so I would expect that same timeframe again. They'll obviously wait for this season to conclude before picking the matchups but my early prediction for our opponents are St. Thomas and South Dakota State. I was thinking UMKC for a little while and I still think that may be a possibility, but the Griz and SDSU are much closer to each other in the NET rankings than UMKC is.

I expect this to be the first 2 opponents to be announced for our non-conference schedule. If we were to hear about any other opponents prior to May 5, I would be very surprised. Also, expect the D1 Docket master sheet to be released the day after the National Championship game!

Quick update for everyone. Scheduling news for College Basketball as a whole has been quite slower compared to this time last year. I attribute a lot of that to the transfer portal and the increasing chaos of NIL that goes along with the portal. That said, scheduling rumors have started really taking off this week and we finally got our first rumors for other Big Sky teams today as Jon Rothstein tweeted that NAU will play at Stanford next year and Rocco Miller reported that UNC will play a trio of games as part of an MTE against Wazzu, Fresno State, and Prairie View A&M. Good for them already having 3 games on the schedule!

One of the things I noted above was I curious to see how the breakup of the PAC12 would affect Big Sky and other mid major teams abilities to get games against those teams, but based off what I’ve seen today, it’s a nonissue. I’m hopeful that the Griz will have at least 1 former PAC12 team on the schedule. Curious to see how that shakes out.

I think the first games we’ll hear about for the Griz are the 2 Summit League opponents and I’m expecting those very soon, probably in the early part of May. I would be very surprised if any of our other opponents are uncovered before the 2 Summit League games are, but that’d be great if it did happen. Also, I’m very surprised the D1 Docket master spreadsheet hasn’t been released yet. He’s done a great job of getting it out early the past few years but that’s not the case this time. I wonder if he’s got some stuff going on!

For now we’re just in wait and see mode. If anyone hears anything, feel free to pass it my way!

And away we go! December 22nd at Northern Iowa. Pretty interesting game. The tweet doesn’t say if it’s a part of a home and home but it seems kinda odd to schedule a one off game at Northern Iowa. Regardless, I’m thrilled to get a game uncovered in April! Be on the lookout for the Summit League opponents soon!

UNI went 19-14 and 12-8 in Missouri Valley play before losing to Indiana State in the semis of the MV tournament. Historically they’ve had some pretty decent Basketball teams. It’s been a little while since they made the tournament, but this will be a great (and tough) test for the Griz. If they can go on the road and win this game towards the end of the non conference slate, then they’ll be a high level team headed into league play!

Edit: I can’t figure out how to edit the OP on this new software. Does anyone know how?

Last edited:
And away we go! December 22nd at Northern Iowa. Pretty interesting game. The tweet doesn’t say if it’s a part of a home and home but it seems kinda odd to schedule a one off game at Northern Iowa. Regardless, I’m thrilled to get a game uncovered in April! Be on the lookout for the Summit League opponents soon!

UNI went 19-14 and 12-8 in Missouri Valley play before losing to Indiana State in the semis of the MV tournament. Historically they’ve had some pretty decent Basketball teams. It’s been a little while since they made the tournament, but this will be a great (and tough) test for the Griz. If they can go on the road and win this game towards the end of the non conference slate, then they’ll be a high level team headed into league play!

Edit: I can’t figure out how to edit the OP on this new software. Does anyone know how?
New software gives you a couple of days after the original post and then it locks. I can do it for you as mods have different permissions. Just let me know how you want it formatted and where.

This is indeed part of a home and home. We will go to UNI on Sunday December 22 and then UNI will come to Missoula during the 25-26 season! Good deal, we've really lacked home and homes over the last couple years.

Also I take back everything I said on Friday about there's no way we hear of any other games before our announced Summit League opponents lol

New software gives you a couple of days after the original post and then it locks. I can do it for you as mods have different permissions. Just let me know how you want it formatted and where.
Chris has been looking into a way for OP’s to edit their OP in a thread but it’s been a couple weeks, maybe three and he’s had no luck. So far that’s my only complaint with the new format.

Chris has been looking into a way for OP’s to edit their OP in a thread but it’s been a couple weeks, maybe three and he’s had no luck. So far that’s my only complaint with the new format.
Yeah, its a pain for sure. A lot of the standard user functions that we got used to under the old system are not available to every and just limited to moderators. That is why I now appear as a staff member. The other part is that there is a character cap on posts, and my long winded epics that I occasionally post have to be now edited for brevity.

I think a lot of that stuff will iron itself out as the grandeur and splendor of the site avails itself to Chris and company.

We're off to an incredible start! Already 2 opponents before we even know our Summit League opponents! A home game against Utah Tech (formerly Dixie State) somewhere between 11/20-11/23. Griz Football has played the Trailblazers multiple times already since joining D1, but this will be the first ever matchup in Men's Basketball.

The Trailblazers were 11-20 and 7-13 in WAC play this past season, so they're not the strongest opponent, but it's always great to get D1 home games. The Griz are paying them, so we will not have to go to St. George in the 25-26 season, but I'm glad we could convince them to play us in Missoula. Good scheduling by the athletic department so far!

What's interesting too is that date range has been around the time that the Zootown Classic has been hosted in Missoula over the last 3 years. That will be something to keep an eye on as we continue to get more updates.

Updated non-conference schedule through 4/25:

11/20-23: vs. Utah Tech (via Made for March)
12/22 @ Northern Iowa (via Made for March)

Update on the Big Sky-Summit League Challenge. I asked Big Sky Commish last night on Twitter when the matchups would be announced and it sounds like they are tracking behind last year and are still working on them. Last year they were released on May 5 but I would expect it to be a couple weeks later this year. There have been rumors circulating that the Summit League is looking to add a member so they can get back to 10 schools, so maybe that is what their waiting on but I have no idea. Any how, I wouldn't expect them until the later half of May since they're still working on them.

Also the D1 Docket on Twitter announced last week that he will release the master spreadsheet when the first College Basketball team releases their complete non-conference schedule, which should be sometime soon. I'll be curious to see if he has anything we don't already know about. Regardless, we're tracking well so far and now that we are into the month of May, I think we will see somewhere in the ballpark of 4-5 games uncovered this month to go along with the 2 that we already know of. What I would expect to see this month are the 2 Summit League games, and the first of any money games we may have. These should develop towards the end of the month. I'll try to get the exact date nailed down as well on the Utah Tech home game.

That's all for now!

Back