• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Griz softball year in review

WyomingGrizFan said:
grizzlyjournal said:
...who will replace Bethany Olea? And -- if Sydney Stites does slide to the infield @ third, who will fill the gap in right field?

...this is a team that might get a big boost out of a player...who could come in and provide something the team needs (a bat with punch, for instance, to solidify the offensive lineup in Olea's departure).

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if contending for next years' 3B job is a Savanna Voyles out of CMR. a left-handed hitter that has hit 30 or so HRs over the past two seasons with a .553 BA (89-196). Playing SS, 2B and LF at the high school level shoudn't hurt in a transition to 3B. At least potentially a possibility.

WyomingGrizFan said:
grizzlyjournal said:
...who will replace Bethany Olea? And -- if Sydney Stites does slide to the infield @ third, who will fill the gap in right field?

...this is a team that might get a big boost out of a player with...experience who could come in and provide something the team needs (a bat with punch, for instance, to solidify the offensive lineup in Olea's departure).

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if contending for next years' 3B job is a Savanna Voyles out of CMR. a left-handed hitter that has hit 30 or so HRs over the past two seasons with a .553 BA (89-196). Playing SS, 2B and LF at the high school level shoudn't hurt in a transition to 3B. At least potentially a possibility.

No inside info here either, just a love to analyze stats and as it turns out, fast pitch softball is pretty fun to watch.
As for 3B, I'd guess Sites the front runner followed by Jessica McAlister and then Voyles and Alexis Knauss. I do know from GoGriz stories last fall quoting Pinkerton that Stites REALLY wants back in the infield. 3B is a bit different then short and Pinkerton may want someone with a bit more experience at the position, especially if Stites shows early signs she may struggle. Incoming Fr Jessica McAlister from Albuquerque started at third her Fr and some of her So season in high school. The rest has been at catcher. Yes Woy, Voyles could probably play third also, as could Alexis Knauss from Meridian High in Idaho. She may have a more dangerous bat also with similar numbers in power and average but much more speed with 22 stolen bases this year compared to Voyles's six.
As for RF if Stites moves? Part of that depends on how healthy MaKenna McGill returns. I beleive Anne Marie Petrino has LF locked down. Specially if she carries over her play from the conference schedule. If McGill struggles next year, much like she did this last season pre-injury, Alex Wardlow could have to step back in there. If that's the case, Sr Makenzie Phillips and So Kylie Hayton are the front runners for right currently on the roster but I'd bet Knauss and Voyles could probably transition to RF for a year just like Stites. Especially since they may have a better bat then the alternative. By their sophomore years though, they'll both be starting in the infield.
Designated player is another position that may see a fresh face if any of our incoming Fr's bats do more damage then our Tori Lettus/Dani Walker combo.
As far as JC transfers, I don't think Pinkerton will try to find one this year, more likely a Sr "drop down" to add more pop to the line up. Most likely not though. Pinkerton has stated before that he likes to work towards a 5 player rotation of Fr coming in and Sr's coming out. That'll be tuff to do with 10 Sr's leaving next year. I've also wondered if one or two of our pitchers will look for more playing time somewhere else. Either way, the next two years are gonna be interesting with the roster transition.

grizzlyjournal said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/UMGRIZZLIES/status/871848085894217728[/tweet]

Good article. Wish they'd gave a little bio on McAlister and the year she's had also. 6A New Mexico State champion after going 28-0. Currently MaxPreps #12 nationally ranked team. 2+ year starter at catcher. Power and average comparable to Voyles and Knauss. All three of these girls are future three-year starters in the infield (one a possible four year) and are gonna help continue to build Montana into a dominate team.

Latest posts

Back