• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Big Sky All-Conference Teams announced...

PDXGrizzly said:
It’s amazing how far the Griz have fallen. 1 player making first team, none on second team O or even third team O. The rest on second team D and third team D. 6 players total with one first team. Goes to show the amount of respect given and the success of Stitt coaches teams.

How many would you expect from an average team in a conference with what seems like 3 dozen teams?

uofmman1122 said:
wbtfg said:
uofmman1122 said:
All of that not-withstanding, Gresch Jensen was the best freshman in the big sky.

No question.

No doubt Jensen is a really good freshman quarterback, and Troy Anderson is a complete beastman.

Both would be well deserving, I think Choates probably is a little better sales man with his fellow Conf coaches. That was evidenced last year with Murray winning over Jerry Louis McGee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the same conference that thought Cowser was better than Holmes.

The politics are ridiculous.
Its also the same conference who awarded Ioane conference defensive player of the year over Jared Allen... the same year he won the Buch Buchanan award.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Brother Bear said:
I think Gresch should have been freshman player of the year. He clearly did more for his team than any other freshman in the conference/ likely country. Josh Buss should be 1st team line-backer.

I would have bet on Jensen getting it. Surprised it went to Anderson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is crazy bad. Looking at D Tackle and D End and the numbers compared to those who made it.

Sims and Favoroso- Whats interesting here is if you look at both of them over the final 6 games They are at the top in each category overall during that period but these are the entire season stats.

D Tackle

Sims- 43 Tackles 6 TFL 3.5 sacks

2nd Team
Torgenson- 13 Tackles 3.5 TFL 1 Sack

3rd Team
Harris- 30 Tackles 6.5 TFL 0 Sacks

HM
Peoples- 46 Tackles 2.5 TFL 1 Sack
Wright= 35 Tackles 4.5 TFL 2 Sacks
Baily- 30 Tackles 2.5 TFL 1.5 Sacks

D End

Chris Favoroso 44 Tackles 13 TFL 6 Sacks

2nd Team
Williamson 26 Tackles 5 TFL 4.5 Sacks

3rd Team
Pili 29 Tackles 7.5 TFL 3.5 Sacks

HM
Smith 31 Tackles 6.5 TFL 2.5 Sacks
Bearnson 30 Tackles 8 TFL 4 Sacks
Weaver 38 Tackles 9.5 TFL 6 Sacks

Big Sky announces 2017 awards, all-conference teams - Weber led Big Sky all-league selections with 16 honorees on 3 teams, followed by Southern Utah (12), Eastern Washington (10), Sac State (10), NAU (9). Montana had 13 total including HM, MSU had 8
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-announces-2017-awards-all-conference-teams/

George Ferguson said:
SoldierGriz said:
George Ferguson said:
PDXGrizzly said:
It’s amazing how far the Griz have fallen. 1 player making first team, none on second team O or even third team O. The rest on second team D and third team D. 6 players total with one first team. Goes to show the amount of respect given and the success of Stitt coaches teams.

David Reese
Tucker Schye
Josh Buss
James Banks
Dante Olson
Brandon Purdy
Connor Strahm
Ryan McKinley
Keenan Curran
Jerry Louie-McGee2X
Robert Luke
Cooper Sprunk
Jeremy Calhoun

I'm not very good at math, but that's more than six. I agree, the Griz used to have 15-20 players on this list every year, but, that was BEFORE the addition of four more teams to this insanely sized conference. I PROMISE you, even with a new head coach, there isn't going to be 20-plus Griz players on this list every single year. It's not the way this conference is anymore.

Why not George? Weber has 16 and they didn't dominate the conference like the Griz used to?

No, but they had A GREAT SEASON THIS YEAR. Why would Weber's past have anything to do with how the kids on this list played this season. And 16 is only four more players than the Griz had. I don't buy the hate Stitt argument as to why the Griz got hosed on a few selections either. Many people, including posters on this board, would have you believe Choate is one of the darling coaches of the Big Sky, and everybody loves him. And maybe that's true. It very well could be. Well, the Cats only had seven players selected, and just like the Griz, only one first-teamer.

Yes, Weber had a great season, and that's why they have 16. They did not dominate the conference. I just think a team that dominates the conference can stack these teams. I'm talking outright, undefeated champ and 1 or 2 in both offense and defense. That CAN and SHOULD get 20+. I have no clue about Choate, or Stitt for that matter as far as selection go.

PSLGriz said:
This is crazy bad. Looking at D Tackle and D End and the numbers compared to those who made it.

Sims and Favoroso- Whats interesting here is if you look at both of them over the final 6 games They are at the top in each category overall during that period but these are the entire season stats.

D Tackle

Sims- 43 Tackles 6 TFL 3.5 sacks

2nd Team
Torgenson- 13 Tackles 3.5 TFL 1 Sack

3rd Team
Harris- 30 Tackles 6.5 TFL 0 Sacks

HM
Peoples- 46 Tackles 2.5 TFL 1 Sack
Wright= 35 Tackles 4.5 TFL 2 Sacks
Baily- 30 Tackles 2.5 TFL 1.5 Sacks

D End

Chris Favoroso 44 Tackles 13 TFL 6 Sacks

2nd Team
Williamson 26 Tackles 5 TFL 4.5 Sacks

3rd Team
Pili 29 Tackles 7.5 TFL 3.5 Sacks

HM
Smith 31 Tackles 6.5 TFL 2.5 Sacks
Bearnson 30 Tackles 8 TFL 4 Sacks
Weaver 38 Tackles 9.5 TFL 6 Sacks

Pure, unadulterated Griz jealousy right there. Sims and Fav got Woofed.

uofmman1122 said:
All of that not-withstanding, Gresch Jensen was the best freshman in the big sky.

No question.

No doubt there’s a political element, but if Jensen could have played safety, (Anderson played both ways much of the season), he wins in a walk. Because if you’re comparing apples to apples, Jensen was the best freshman.

bgbigdog said:
uofmman1122 said:

No question.

No doubt there’s a political element, but if Jensen could have played safety, (Anderson played both ways much of the season), he wins in a walk. Because if you’re comparing apples to apples, Jensen was the best freshman.

He didn’t play both ways MUCH if he only had 9 tackles.

AZGrizFan said:
bgbigdog said:
uofmman1122 said:

No question.

Yup, the both ways thing is a little over-hyped. They did not use him much on D. Doesn't take away from how special of an athlete he is, and Cat fans are right that the guy COULD start at about five different positions. I think he's going to be a monster at RB if that's where he stays the next three years. That second TD run reminded me a lot of Chase Reynolds. He's really, really good. But I agree, the playing both ways thing is kind of overblown.

George Ferguson said:
AZGrizFan said:
bgbigdog said:
uofmman1122 said:

No question.

Yup, the both ways thing is a little over-hyped. They did not use him much on D. Doesn't take away from how special of an athlete he is, and Cat fans are right that the guy COULD start at about five different positions. I think he's going to be a monster at RB if that's where he stays the next three years. That second TD run reminded me a lot of Chase Reynolds. He's really, really good. But I agree, the playing both ways thing is kind of overblown.

How friggin' good is the cat backfield? Wow. I find it hard to believe Choate won't move him to defense given his background. I think Anderson has a chance to be an All American on offense OR defense.

George Ferguson said:
AZGrizFan said:
bgbigdog said:
uofmman1122 said:

No question.

I really was joking - perhaps if I had asked if Gresch could kick? Anderson is good, this years performance wasn’t on a par with Jensen. He got jobbed.

PDXGrizzly said:

It also reflects on the truth behind these alleged "talented" recruiting classes that so many have spoke of. We have become fair less athletic as a team under this past staff. Here's to seeing that improve as well. We need to get into UT, AZ & CA with a passion to recruit quality fringe D1 guys that fall just short of the Pac-12 standard. All this while owning the entire PNW including the cream in state when available.

NewPapaBear said:
PDXGrizzly said:

It also reflects on the truth behind these alleged "talented" recruiting classes that so many have spoke of. We have become fair less athletic as a team under this past staff. Here's to seeing that improve as well. We need to get into UT, AZ & CA with a passion to recruit quality fringe D1 guys that fall just short of the Pac-12 standard. All this while owning the entire PNW including the cream in state when available.
The most realistic post here. This is an outside evaluation of our talent. But our internal evaluation through the rose colored glasses should prevail? We watched our guys play a weak schedule and look like world beaters vs. the weak opponents. The outside folks put more value on the games that count.

kemajic said:
NewPapaBear said:
PDXGrizzly said:

The most realistic post here. This is an outside evaluation of our talent. But our internal evaluation through the rose colored glasses should prevail? We watched our guys play a weak schedule and look like world beaters vs. the weak opponents. The outside folks put more value on the games that count.

#'s 1, 2, 4 & 5 instate recruits this year. That's pretty much owning the state. #ownthestate

More 2/3* recruits than Delaney ever dreamed of. Of course, that's assuming they all stay committed now with the change in leadership.

NewPapaBear said:
PDXGrizzly said:

AZ and CA, okay. UT? Get in line behind the 5 D1 programs in the state. Jay Hill has made recruiting Utah athletes a bigger priority than any coach we've ever had and yet half the roster is still from outside the state. And given a choice, Utah kids aren't choosing Montana over any of the Utah schools, including Weber and SUU. It would be a waste of time to recruit heavily in Utah. The talent pool isn't big enough.

For Anderson to walk-off that small competition field in Dillon and months later stand-out in a big way, breaking tackles and sprinting away from BSC level defenses as a True Freshman was impressive. Talented, talented kid. And very deserving of Freshman of the Year.

When you finish in the middle of a 13 team conference, this is how you show on an all-conference list.

If UM would have finished higher in the league, the players would have faired better in numbers and postion on the all-conf teams. But that (more wins) would have required them to be better than they were.

The list and talent are directly linked.

Back