• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Glory Days............

b_f_c_99

Cue up the Boss! After spending way to much time on this forum I'm starting to think we are all suffering from Glory Days Syndrome. This isn't Don Reads era, its nor Bobby Hauk's era, it is the present, wanting, wishing or EXPECTING it to be something its not is pointless. There was a poster on here from Eastern that said your fan base is old, well I'm certain the membership of egriz is old, do you really think the kids in school now follow this? Hell facebook is yesterday for them.

I was 19 years old when Don Read was hired, was waiting tables at the Sheraton where they had breakfast club, worked those breakfasts. Bunch of old guys would go in there every week, bitch and complain about what a moron Don was. He would listen nod and smile, explain the direction of where they were trying to get blah blah. Then they started making the playoffs, then get a little further, then have a set back for a year then get a little further. All the while the old guys bitched and complained. Then a magical thing happened, Dave Dickinson arrived and all the pieces fell into place, and the complainers didn't even see it coming, they wanted to fire him EVERY year.

That was my grizzly team, and it was super cool watching it happen. Hauck came along and I hated everything he did I turned into a complainer wanting my glory days back. Well shame on me, Hauck was just different and I didn't like it. He should have won a couple of NC's but he didn't move on.

Stitt and this era are here now, and it reminds me of Don Read, the magic is right around the corner and we're all to busy bitching to see it. But I'm sure we will all be yapping about how we had faith the whole time afterwards..............

b_f_c_99 said:
Cue up the Boss! After spending way to much time on this forum I'm starting to think we are all suffering from Glory Days Syndrome. This isn't Don Reads era, its nor Bobby Hauk's era, it is the present, wanting, wishing or EXPECTING it to be something its not is pointless. There was a poster on here from Eastern that said your fan base is old, well I'm certain the membership of egriz is old, do you really think the kids in school now follow this? Hell facebook is yesterday for them.

I was 19 years old when Don Read was hired, was waiting tables at the Sheraton where they had breakfast club, worked those breakfasts. Bunch of old guys would go in there every week, bitch and complain about what a moron Don was. He would listen nod and smile, explain the direction of where they were trying to get blah blah. Then they started making the playoffs, then get a little further, then have a set back for a year then get a little further. All the while the old guys bitched and complained. Then a magical thing happened, Dave Dickinson arrived and all the pieces fell into place, and the complainers didn't even see it coming, they wanted to fire him EVERY year.

That was my grizzly team, and it was super cool watching it happen. Hauck came along and I hated everything he did I turned into a complainer wanting my glory days back. Well shame on me, Hauck was just different and I didn't like it. He should have won a couple of NC's but he didn't move on.

Stitt and this era are here now, and it reminds me of Don Read, the magic is right around the corner and we're all to busy bitching to see it. But I'm sure we will all be yapping about how we had faith the whole time afterwards..............

Well, he can start this Saturday. In the presser after the EWU game he said, "This team will get better every single week." Time for show and tell.

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!

SoldierGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:

Well, he can start this Saturday. In the presser after the EWU game he said, "This team will get better every single week." Time for show and tell.

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!

I believe they did get better from the previous week...their opponent was just more better...lol

...that the graying of griz nation..
...no different than graying of america...
...look no further than the old "boom crew"...
...could be half time entertainment walker races...

... :shock: ...

b_f_c_99 said:

How far have we fallen that going from Hauck, winning the Big Sky and going to the playoffs to Stitt's 6-5 is the new norm. What's even more disheartening is, apparently, some fans are ok with it.

RobGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:

How far have we fallen that going from Hauck, winning the Big Sky and going to the playoffs to Stitt's 6-5 is the new norm. What's even more disheartening is, apparently, some fans are ok with it.

Stitt went 7-4 in his first season, and spanked SDSU in the first round before running into the NDSU buzz saw.

Obviously no one is happy with the way last season ended, but at least give it until the end of this one before you start calling for heads....and constantly bitching and moaning. Like AZ said, no one is getting canned mid-season anyway.

Spanky said:
Not sure Rob, but it looks like the majority are ok with it

Don't take this the wrong way because its truly not meant as an attack or a troll or any of that BS.
But whose "we" are any of us suiting up for for games? Breaking down film? Coaching the team or any thing else other than watching the games? Brint spends a pile of time breaking down games and what not, does he get paid? Do you truly think the kids and coaches don't care? I'm 100 percent sure that if any of us actually sat down with Stiff and crew, watched film with them, saw what they did day to day you wouldn't think they are morons. I damn well knew Don Read wasn't a moron after listening to him and getting the opportunity to ask him a question here and there.

I work at UM. I bump into players on campus and chat with them as often as I get the opportunity. These kids are very upbeat. They love football and they love playing for the Griz.

Nice post. It's hard when everyone in the "Now/immediate gratification" times can't see things moving in the right direction. I think the defense sucked azz, and there are plenty of games in the past where defense did it's job and complaining about the offense was going on. Many have said that this week is the benchmark...I think that the season is the benchmark. 7-4 is acceptable, AS LONG AS we can see better next season. 6-5 is not imo.
I think this week, though, is the first test. It's a PSU team that the first 2 weeks looked like they'd contend, and then ran into the buzzsaw known as Davis. This is a game that they have to win for many reasons: road game, momentum, show improvement, confidence, unity, and pleasing the EGrizers
I think the Griz win...will be scary for a bit...and not scary good...more like pucker factor scary. Then, they get some momentum and win by a bit, I think I guessed something like 41-27.

...the days when Griz program was slowly building momentum. Don Read hired in 1987, made playoffs in 1998 but lost in first round to Idaho, won a couple in 1989 before losing to Ga Southern.....then miss playoffs in 1990, 1991, 1992..make them in 1993 lose in the FIRST ROUND AT HOME TO DELAWARE 49 - 48. No answer for Delaware option running game.

Those days things were different...no EGriz for fans to anonymously criticize coaching and even players by name constantly. Today Don Read (and for sure Jerome Souers) might not have survived until 1994...after what today would be a highly embarrassing and criticized FIRST ROUND HOME PLAYOFF LOSS. We scored 48 at home and LOST!

The mood back then was also very different. Griz and its coaches were new to being a football team with playoff aspirations. Fans were very happy to just make the playoffs. We were the "little guys" working together (fans, players, coaches, administration) to create one hell of a lower level college football culture and game day atmosphere. The rise up was fun. It was rewarding to fans, players and coaches to see little improvements each year. Players got a little better, crowds got a little bigger. Made the playoff and won a few...then missed them but realized the playoffs weren't a given. We were "Montana": the little guys working their way up.

Fast forward to 2017......3rd year coach and team struggling...."entitled" fans up the ying yang criticizing anonymously, constantly and heatedly. We better "run the table", "make the playoffs", "beat the Cats", "never allow 48 points at home" or the "coach has to be replaced".

What would EGriz topic titles been following that 1993 first round home playoff loss to Delaware...after outright missing them in 1990, 1991 and 1992?

I'm glad UM kept Read and Souers for a couple more years!

Mousegriz said:
...the days when Griz program was slowly building momentum. Don Read hired in 1987, made playoffs in 1998 but lost in first round to Idaho, won a couple in 1989 before losing to Ga Southern.....then miss playoffs in 1990, 1991, 1992..make them in 1993 lose in the FIRST ROUND AT HOME TO DELAWARE 49 - 48. No answer for Delaware option running game.

Those days things were different...no EGriz for fans to anonymously criticize coaching and even players by name constantly. Today Don Read (and for sure Jerome Souers) might not have survived until 1994...after what today would be a highly embarrassing and criticized FIRST ROUND HOME PLAYOFF LOSS. We scored 48 at home and LOST!

The mood back then was also very different. Griz and its coaches were new to being a football team with playoff aspirations. Fans were very happy to just make the playoffs. We were the "little guys" working together (fans, players, coaches, administration) to create one hell of a lower level college football culture and game day atmosphere. The rise up was fun. It was rewarding to fans, players and coaches to see little improvements each year. Players got a little better, crowds got a little bigger. Made the playoff and won a few...then missed them but realized the playoffs weren't a given. We were "Montana": the little guys working their way up.

Fast forward to 2017......3rd year coach and team struggling...."entitled" fans up the ying yang criticizing anonymously, constantly and heatedly. We better "run the table", "make the playoffs", "beat the Cats", "never allow 48 points at home" or the "coach has to be replaced".

What would EGriz topic titles been following that 1993 first round home playoff loss to Delaware...after outright missing them in 1990, 1991 and 1992?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mousegriz said:

Thank you MouseGriz, exactly what I was trying to say! Now look at the facility, look at what goes on during a home game, the tailgating ect. Its like a giant class/family reunion every week. Of course you could say that will all end if the team doesn't win and go to the playoffs. Maybe, but I doubt it. The success of the program is proven every home game. Could anyone truly imagine this back in 1985?

I for one am having a great time watching the rebuild, its kind of like going back in time without the hotub! Enjoy it, drop the glory days, the past doesn't matter, nobody is entitled to anything, stop judging the process by what it use to be or you think it should be.

Htowngriz said:
RobGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:

Stitt went 7-4 in his first season, and spanked SDSU in the first round before running into the NDSU buzz saw.

Obviously no one is happy with the way last season ended, but at least give it until the end of this one before you start calling for heads....and constantly bitching and moaning. Like AZ said, no one is getting canned mid-season anyway.
So...what are you going to say when they end up 6-5 and out of the playoffs again this year? You'll be all "remember his first year when they went 7-4 and then got humiliated by NDSU?? Man what a great year!!" I'll bet.
You're like the guy whose wife cheats on him after 22 years of marriage. You're all "yeah but she didn't cheat on me the other 21 years"

:roll:

Rob, et al:

No ONE, and I literally mean not one single person associated with this program -- from Kent down to my friend's 3 year old nephew -- are happy with 6-5 seasons. We do NOT expect that to be the new normal.

But anyone who has watched any sport for more than a few years understands that no team -- not UCLA basketball, not the 1960s Packers, not the Lakers, not the Yankees, not Montana and no, not even NDSU eventually -- can maintain the ridiculous level of success that the Griz enjoyed for such a ridiculous period of time. Life and sports simply do not work that way. We call that a ridiculous period for a reason.

Griz fans are spoiled. I get it. We expect that 11-1 seasons with 3 home playoff games and trips to the title game are our birthright. But reality paints a different picture. This program will be fine. Will we ever return to that ridiculous level of extended dominance? Likely not. And for many, that's okay, because we understand that was truly a once in a lifetime thing.

RobGriz said:
Htowngriz said:
RobGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:

So...what are you going to say when they end up 6-5 and out of the playoffs again this year? You'll be all "remember his first year when they went 7-4 and then got humiliated by NDSU?? Man what a great year!!" I'll bet.
You're like the guy whose wife cheats on him after 22 years of marriage. You're all "yeah but she didn't cheat on me the other 21 years"

Rob- Just curious what you are doing about this situation other than bitching? Have you voiced your displeasure with Kent? He isn't hard to find. Have you started a fund raising campaign to hire a new staff? With our current budget, we aren't getting Hauck, a Power 5 coordinator, or likely a tenured position coach from a Power 5 conference. Have you gone to the QB Club (no, I am not a member) to hear what Stitt has to say, and what his reasonings are for the situation they are in? Do you like the recruiting class that is coming together so far? What do you think would happen to that class if Stitt or Seymore was "fired" in the middle of the season?

Just curious. I hear a lot of "fire him". Then what? What is the solution you have then? Ask a Nebraska fan (like me) how that works out sometimes......

RobGriz said:
Htowngriz said:
RobGriz said:
b_f_c_99 said:

Gawd, how can you read what is being said and not comprehend?

daGrizJ said:
RobGriz said:
Htowngriz said:
RobGriz said:

Gawd, how can you read what is being said and not comprehend?

Gawd, how desperate are you that you think 6-5 is ok? Are you so willing to except mediocrity? Do you not see that this coaching staff is in over its head and has been???? They've shown it over and over. I comprehend just fine. There are apparently a bunch of you willing to hang your hats on 6-5 seasons in the hope that some day, some freakin day we will get to 7-4 and make the playoffs...yay.

Latest posts

Back