• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Yay the Shotgun-Only Offense looks to Finally be Removed!

timjayko

From the recent Missoulian article on the Spring Drill practice:

“There were some wrinkles,” Delaney said. “We’re still doing the same zone-scheme stuff, but we’re under center a bit more. We’re still in the (shot) gun, and Pistol, and off-set, so it’s a combination. We probably did a little more shifting and moving than we have done in the past, but that is who we’ll be.”

All I can say is, it's about Fu**ing time. Was so tired of seeing Shotgun, Shotgun, Shotgun, even on 3rd and 1, running and losing 3 yards and having to punt the for zillionth time. Dumbest offensive playbook set unless you're Oregon with killer speed. Can't remember which OC turned us to using Shotgun nearly every play, but glad they are gone.

http://missoulian.com/sports/colleg...cle_4dfacbd0-9047-11e2-a42a-0019bb2963f4.html

timjayko said:

“There were some wrinkles,” Delaney said. “We’re still doing the same zone-scheme stuff, but we’re under center a bit more. We’re still in the (shot) gun, and Pistol, and off-set, so it’s a combination. We probably did a little more shifting and moving than we have done in the past, but that is who we’ll be.”

All I can say is, it's about Fu**ing time. Was so tired of seeing Shotgun, Shotgun, Shotgun, even on 3rd and 1, running and losing 3 yards and having to punt the for zillionth time. Dumbest offensive playbook set unless you're Oregon with killer speed. Can't remember which OC turned us to using Shotgun nearly every play, but glad they are gone.

http://missoulian.com/sports/colleg...cle_4dfacbd0-9047-11e2-a42a-0019bb2963f4.html
Good thing that offence didn't get us 1 game away from a championship...

3rd and 1 works out of the shotgun with Dan Moore, but not PN. Also hard to run that when they are stacking the box with 10 in the red zone. Put two tight ends in (or extra OT) and ram it down their throats.

NikeGrizz said:
timjayko said:

Yeah too bad, if we would have switched it up earlier we might have went to the Championship and won again....

But now's our time to hopefully get back on the bandwagon. As much as I utterly hated the fact that we decided to go with Delaney as HC last year, I actually have some faith in the Guy this year.

NikeGrizz said:
timjayko said:

And besides, that near trip to the Championship with that offense was Pflugrad's offensive scheme. Running that same playbook style now with Delaney for a second year would have been like trying to run a Ship without the Captain aboarrrd, yharrgh matey

Timjayko, you mean the Griz would have won it all like the time they did with Dave Dickenson in the shotgun almost exclusively???

havgrizfan said:
Timjayko, you mean the Griz would have won it all like the time they did with Dave Dickenson in the shotgun almost exclusively???

Those were the mid 90's times have changed, defense is much bigger and better, can't get away with that any more unless you're super fast, oh yeah and Dave Dickenson was only the greatest QB ever to play the game for our program, so we could definitely get away with that.

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that I'm happy we are changing our offensive scheme, because with the athletes we have it was just foolish to run. WE are not Oregon, we are Montana! We need to find an offense that fits us.

Take a look at North Dakota State, back to back Championships at the FCS level, look at their offensive scheme. They didn't win back to back Championships with shotgun-only offense, and neither would we.

timjayko said:
havgrizfan said:

Those were the mid 90's times have changed, defense is much bigger and better, can't get away with that any more unless you're super fast, oh yeah and Dave Dickenson was only the greatest QB ever to play the game for our program, so we could definitely get away with that.

Basically, what I'm trying to say here is that I'm happy we are changing our offensive scheme, because with the athletes we have it was just foolish to run. WE are not Oregon, we are Montana! We need to find an offense that fits us.

Take a look at North Dakota State, back to back Championships at the FCS level, look at their offensive scheme. They didn't win back to back Championships with shotgun-only offense, and neither would we.
NDSU won almost soley based on their dominating defense.

As long as they have an offense that chews up clock and doesn't turn it over, they're going to win a ton of games.

Oh, and only 6 years ago App State was dominating using the shotgun almost exclusively with similar athletes that we have now, and won three titles in a row.

They likely wouldn't have won a single one with an offense like you're pitching. :coffee:

You can certainly pick on a scheme when your losing...but it's all about EXECUTION. N.D.S.U. ran a stone age offense and a nut buster "D". Kaepernick ran a sexy offense in the "BOWL" this year, but got his a$$ beat by a QB who was stuck in 1st gear. We could spend all day on our weakness', but if our safeties can't make plays on helium balls I'm going to flip ooooouuuuuuuutttttttttttt :grenade:

timjayko said:
havgrizfan said:

Don't about 60% of the offenses in FBS run exclusively out of the shotgun? You can win and play out of the shotgun..

Armanti Edwards said Wednesday marked the first time since high school that he’s taken a snap from center during practice.[...]Edwards said he only took snaps out of the shotgun at Appalachian State, never from directly under center.
I guess when I said "almost exclusively", I should have said "exclusively". :lol: ;)

timjayko said:
But now's our time to hopefully get back on the bandwagon. As much as I utterly hated the fact that we decided to go with Delaney as HC last year, I actually have some faith in the Guy this year.
I have zero faith in Delaney as head coach. If it turns out to be a good season it will be in spite of him, not because of him.

Seems to me that JJ did pretty good in the Shot-gun. I'm gonna miss seeing that. Greaaaaat. Well... if the team in compfortable with then who am I to criticize what they're doing. Hopefully it works.

MrTitleist said:
timjayko said:
havgrizfan said:

Don't about 60% of the offenses in FBS run exclusively out of the shotgun? You can win and play out of the shotgun..
Ya... it's always 50-50 someone will win. ;)

granitegriz said:
3rd and 1 works out of the shotgun with Dan Moore, but not PN. Also hard to run that when they are stacking the box with 10 in the red zone. Put two tight ends in (or extra OT) and ram it down their throats.

Problem is, if the defense is stacking the box, 3rd and 1 will be just as hard under center no matter what you run.

timjayko said:

Fuck! Another reason delaney needs to go. Old fucker...offense hasn't been the problem. The second he was hired I knew this old bastard was going to try and take us backwards. Fuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkk!

Back