• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Wondering your thoughts? Portland St. struggling finacially

Bison_Kent

I just came across this article in the Portland newspaper showing the awful showing Portland State has put up since they have gone to Division I. They have dropped men's and women's tennis with the Big Sky officials frowning on this.

How much longer can Portland State stay in the Big Sky at this pace?

Here is the article.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1058011019327120.xml

Nice plug in the article for the marketing efforts of Sacramento State.

Fullerton suggested PSU study marketing techniques used by former Sacramento State associate athletic director Solomon Fulp. Sacramento State, like PSU, is a commuter school in a big metropolitan area with a mostly nontraditional student body.

Fulp, who recently left Sacramento State for the University of California, aggressively sought partnerships with local businesses as diverse as Les Schwab Tires, NAPA Auto Parts and UPS.

He talked football coach John Volek into bagging groceries. He dressed players in full uniform, including helmets and cleats, and sent them door-to-door in August with season-ticket applications.

"The value wasn't in knocking on doors, but in the media exposure we got from doing it," Fulp said. "The media loved it. We got free advertising on every TV station and a story in the papers."

Between 1995 and 2001, the Hornets increased their average football attendance from 4,067 to 11,490.

Our attendance dropped quite a bit last year (under 8,000 per game) from 11,490 in 2001, but I expect it will be up again this year, given that UC Davis and the Griz will be coming to Sacramento. Also Sac State is slowing becoming a more traditional campus rather than a commuter school. Five years ago 79% of the students were part time - commuter types. Now its less than 50% and new student housing developments are being built around the campus. The new University President wants a tight knit "student" involved campus. More Sacramento area high school students are attending and living on/near campus than ever before. This all bodes well for the future of Sac State.

I believe Portland State will turn it around, but they need to get the excitement back in their football and basketball programs. I am an alum of PSU and it hasn't been the same since they had Mouse Davis, Don Read and Pokey Allen as head coaches. They need to win, which is a daunting task in the Big Sky.

What the hell happened to the football program there. They were a major up and coming program not only in the big sky but in the country. When they beat the griz a few years back I thought that finally there would be another perenial power in the BSC. I was excited for the intense games down the road as they improved even more. But now all of a sudden I never hear about them anymore. Its all about ISU and MSU as the leaders in the quest to dethrone the Griz. I hope that they pull it together because I enjoy playing them, they have a lot of potential as a program.

Baller1

PSU, needs to get some fans in the seats.
They've won just enough games that with the right marketing people might come.
X's and O's-wise coach Welch(or is it Walsh?) seems to field an athletic team, but a team that gives up after a tough loss, like they did a few years back when Weber beat them. the next week UM played them and PSU was acting confident until the Griz went ahead and then PSU lost all heart. Starters weren't even watching their team-mates and players weren't listening to coaches on the sidelines....and what stuck out the most was that the coach didn't get his starters together and tell him to do whatever he should have been telling them to do. And then last year they jumped all over MSU early, but let MSU battle back to win.
Also, while their offenses are often pretty good their D wizzes game away for them.
In a nutshell, the team has no heart most of the time.
I may be wrong, but i think that comes back to the coach(s).

WYOBISONMAN-
my only argument for that is the much smaller market. Portland and Sacramento both have huge potetial because of the size of the area that they are in. The schools problems are generating interest in there programs. NDSU does have better intersest than those programs right now but because of the size of the area that interest could easily be tapped and in a state that isn't really growing in terms of population how does attendance increase after interest in the program is at a high?? I personally would like to see NDSU join, but not SDSU. Northern Colorado would be a better fit then SDSU.

Baller1

I personally think that NDSU and SDSU fit the Big Sky mold because they're both leading state schools in their respective states and have the kind of community support that you don't see as much from large urban commuter schools like CSUS and PSU. The Dakota schools have better facilities too. Both play in basketball arenas that are already better than most in the Big Sky, whereas CSUS and PSU play in 1,500-seat gymnasiums. In addition to that, Portland State plays football in a baseball stadium. I've been there - it sucks. To sum up, NDSU and SDSU just have a better traditional college environment than Portland or Sacramento. And since each are top state schools, virtually the entire states of North and South Dakota are their market audiences. It's just like here how Griz games are televised not just in Missoula, but we have Billings, Butte, Great Falls, Helena, and yes, even Bozeman tuning in.

Jimus,

I agree with your assestment. Actually, Fargo is a growing community. Right now it is over 150,000 in the metro area. Just 10 years ago when I was in school, I think it was around 100,000. New buisnesses seem to want to move there due to the low cost of living and land prices in the city. They can pay the employees less and get more out of them as with most northern state, the work effort is outstanding.

NDSU does need to upgrade its BB arena with the move to D1. While it is much better than a 1500 seat gym, it could stand to be improved. The Bison Sports Arena (where BB is played) was built in the 70's and seats about 8,000.

PSU has big problems. I don't know how it was in the days of yore, gameday on their campus is flat. They don't have a football stadium. they don't have a basketball arena - the Rose Garden is too big - They always seem to have some remarkable players, but they self destruct.
And yet when we were there last year, people in the community seemed to know who Montana was and why we were in town - they just weren't interested enough to go to the game. PSU claimed they had 20,000 at the game but is sure didn't look like it, which is also a huge problem.
I think the resurgence of the ducks and beavers hurt interest in PSU, but hey when your in a city the size of Portland, should it be so difficult to bring 20,000 to 25,000 fans to a game six weekends in the fall?

From the article, it seems that Portland State always attracted fans the way a minor league baseball team does. They're a city team, not a college team. Where are all the alumni and donors who've been going to games for 20 years? I bet they don't have them. And random Portlanders won't just show up to watch a football game if the team might lose. PSU's not winning 10 games a year like they used to, so I guess it's not fun for them anymore. And since there's no fun at the games, what is there? From the looks of it, not much.

I agree with Baller. When PSU joined the BSC, I thought they were nuts for letting them in. They have a built in recruiting base, and had been a top Division II school under Pokey. I expected them to dominate within a couple of years.

I think 2 things happened. First, the traditional rivalries that they had were eliminated (which would happen for UM if we joined the NotQuiteBCSMaterial Conference in IA). Second, I think everyone underestimated what PSU had in Pokey Allen. He was one of a kind, and Boise was just starting to take advantage of it when he got sick. More important, he was a Montanan.

That's one thing for NDSU, SDSU and UNC. We will maintain at least 2 or maybe even 3 of our traditional rivals. Im not sure about UNC but both SDSU and NDSU have histories with many if not all of the BSC teams so when we schedule there the opponent is well known. Im hoping for homes/homes with all the BSC schools.

Portland is a worry but a good example for other schools moving up. They have done a lot of things right and we can learn from their mistakes. Cost effective facilities are a big factor. If they can figure that out it might help.

I think the smaller market that is solidly behind a school is better than a large indifferent market.

Whats even more interesting is that Lulay and another good HS freshman QB this year from OR came to MSU. I know PSU was calling Lulay but he came to Bozeman. With the population PSU should be able to get some good players yet they cant seem to close the deal. They must not be able to recruit worth a S$%t. When we played PSU last year they had a article in the paper about how the PSU coach was bummed he "Let Lulay slip through"......right to a comeback win against him.

How can you say they don't recruit well, Bobcat? Jimmy Blanchard signed with the panthers, Terry Charles signed with the chargers, Juston Wood signed with the Minnesotta Vikings, Albert Tuipulotu signed with the Steelers, Chip Dunn made it to the Hula Bowl and was an AP first team all American, Rashad Floyd was all conference and buck buchannan candidate. And let's not forget Ryan Fuqua, who could set the Big Sky rushing record before he's done.
Since they joined the Big Sky, I think PSU has only lost to the Bobcats once, not bad for a team that had only 42 scholarships their first two years in the conference.
You talk like you've been watching football, but I'm betting you're a bandwagon fan. I'd consider Walsh's remarks about Lulay very flattering considering his eye for talent.

Baller1 said:
WYOBISONMAN-
my only argument for that is the much smaller market. Portland and Sacramento both have huge potetial because of the size of the area that they are in. The schools problems are generating interest in there programs. NDSU does have better intersest than those programs right now but because of the size of the area that interest could easily be tapped and in a state that isn't really growing in terms of population how does attendance increase after interest in the program is at a high?? I personally would like to see NDSU join, but not SDSU. Northern Colorado would be a better fit then SDSU.

Baller1

Northern Colorado has many of the same problems that Portland and Sacramento have (namely they will be number 4 in their own state behind CU, CSU, and Airforce) without the larger market (which in the end do nothing for the BSC because the people there don't care). SDSU does need to step it up a notch in football (we have plans in the works), however we bring a strong basketball tradition to which ever conference we join. We have made 22 NCAA Div II playoff app. with 1 National Championship and 1 Runner-Up on the Mens side and we and the Defending National Champions on the Womens side. We have lead the nation in attendence several times and are always in the top 10. Frost Arena is a top notch facility. I would have to say that a combo of NDSU and SDSU would be a great addition to the BSC.

Go SDSU!

Wow, this board is great.

The problem here in Portland is that no one cares. They don't even get press on the local news on gamedays. The only time they did last season was because of Southern playing here and their band came with them. The person who said it was all Ducks and Beavers is right. Not much support from the campus since it isn't a live-in-dorms type place. Too bad too since they were pretty exciting to watch. The Griz/PSU game in 2000 was great. they came close to filling the stadium that night but it was 80% of us Griz fans.

double-a said:
Wow, this board is great.

The problem here in Portland is that no one cares. They don't even get press on the local news on gamedays. The only time they did last season was because of Southern playing here and their band came with them. The person who said it was all Ducks and Beavers is right. Not much support from the campus since it isn't a live-in-dorms type place. Too bad too since they were pretty exciting to watch. The Griz/PSU game in 2000 was great. they came close to filling the stadium that night but it was 80% of us Griz fans.

double-a your helping to make my point. It is better to be the big dog, if not the only dog, in a smaller market then to be an also ran in a big market. I will take the million + Dakotans who love their teams over the million + folks in Portland or Sacramento who have no idea that they have I AA schools in town, anyday.

GO SDSU Jacks! (rabbits that is)

Latest posts

Back