• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will the Griz go 500 this Year? I don't think so.

trwanagriz

With the Griz unable to maintain any type of offensive presser on a defense and score, and a weak pass defense, it could be a long season.
They will be luck to go 500 this season!

The griz offense is disorganized they don't know the plays. Their running around out there lost. Players don't know where to go, for get the snap count, or who they should block. Unless Ochs can turn it around, because Disney will be injuryed so bad he won't be able to play.

Sam Houston State beat them selves by dropping passes and fumbling the ball in their own end, so the grizzlies only had a few yards to go. In other words they were worse than us.

It's going be a long season for the griz, and grizzly fans.

The reason you hire a coach with experience is that he will make his mistakes learning some where else. There's not an AA high school in Montana that would have hired Bobby without head coaching experience.
This is not Bobby's fault he just put in for the job. I won't criticize Bobby because he just learning. It's call on the job training.

NO! We will lose at least 3 games though. But I will say we will all be thrilled at the team that goes to the playoffs. The offense will be awesome by then.

Till then we are a defensive team. Like the Bucs, the defense will help us while the offense learns the system.

If the Griz do lose 3 games, I would be pretty surprised if they received an at-large bid, they would have to win the Big Sky title. No team with 3 losses, one of those at home to a D-II school, will get an at-large bid. Even with the recent playoff history of the Griz, and Hogan as the chair on the selection committee, I don't think they would grandfathered in... although, maybe they should start talking to Georgia Southern and figure out how they have managed to get in that way?

Griz better figure something out pretty darn quick if they think they will only lose one or two more games. I watched the game against Sam Houston, and I expected to see a pissed-off, hungry, mad-as-hell team that destroyed a sub-par, inexperienced squad. Instead, I saw a lethargic, unemotional team that did not play very well. The defense was OK, but they got away with a lot because the Sammies couldn't hold onto a ball if their life depended on it. As usual, the d-line was awesome and stuffed the run very well in addition to putting good pressure on the QB. The Griz offense just looks horrible. It reminds of quite a few Bobcat teams that you knew had a lot of talent, but could not figure out how to work together as a team. The Griz O is painful to watch. Special teams looked very good, except for the snapper. Teams are going to have to figure out very soon how to keep it out of Heidelberger's hands on kickoffs, boy does he read his blocks well and accelerate around the corner fast. This has got to be the worst Griz O in at least 15 years, though. They will lose games because, as we Bobcats know all too well, no matter how good your defense is, they can't keep it up when they are on the field the entire game.

trwanagriz, you going to be around near the end of the season to eat those words? I personally doubt it. Just a bunch of 'mambo-jahambo'(Dirty Face, YoungGuns) I'm reading in your post.

it's gonna be a wild year in the BSC.

3 losses could be a great record with this group.....after everybody is black and blue....there could be only one rep from the BSC in the playoff's...as long as it is Montana,....that's all I care.

and if there is a bubble team and we are on that bubble....we would get a nod, where ISU did not last year ( for example)

We draw too many people, too much tradition, yada yada yada!

Go Griz

Bobbby....what do we want?

Throw the damn Ball to Talmadge.

:lol:

trwanagriz is acting like the Griz are completely lost out there. If that were the case, there'd be no way we could ever beat anybody. This is the perfect time for a bye week. I hope two weeks are enough for the coaches to learn how to utilize the skill we have on offense. By the way, 9-3 would get the Griz in the playoffs regardless, but we might only be sent on the road for a death sentence in a first round game. Honestly, I'd be satisfied with 8-4 if it included a win over MSU. That would be acceptable for a first season with a completely new system. 7-5 would look really bad if we sank that low.

I was born and raised a Griz fan (in 'Cat country, no less) ... so I really hate to agree with BozoneCat. But I feel like he is right.

This Griz team has a LONG way to go, and I don't think it's going to happen this year, if at all. When the end of November rolls around, I fear UM will have a 7-5 record, and will be watching the play-offs from afar. It makes me sick to say this, but it's what my gut tells me at this point.

But, oh, how I hope I am totally wrong, and that the Griz blast their way through the remainder of the season.... Go, Griz!!!

Never fear 68 Griz, IMHO I think you are at least partly wrong. The Griz WILL blast thru the majority of their games this season.
And Bozone, appreciate your perspective and the fact you didn't ram your opinion down our throats. Classy. Yes, the offense isn't there yet, but emotionless? I don't think so, not at all. Keep watching, I think you'll be surprised. These guys are GOING TO GET IT TOGETHER in the next few games.

I think it could be ugly, but in the end we are right where we belong: The playoffs.

I hate to agree with a Cat but BozoneCat seems to be on to something. I have to listen to the games on my computer so it's hard to gain any perspective from Mick and Scott. But inspite of Mick's sugarcoating it sure didn't sound like a team that can't even stay on the field with the worst team in Div 1A. I too would have expected a pissed off Griz team last Sat and they sounded like milktoast. A year ago coach Glenn said Colt Palmer was the best long snapper he'd EVER coached. He coached twenty some years so that's a hell of a statement. Palmer isn't the long snapper this year? What's up with that? Skinner's been a tackle all his life now he's a guard? Maybe BH is trying so hard to put his stamp on this team he's changing the chemistry. When they asked Joe about his sucess at Montana he said "I just had the keys to the car my job was to not wreck it" Bobby you got the keys to a Porche don't wreck it son.

In regard to Palmer Hauck said he wanted more size at that position.
I guess he never heard "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Mich Griz said:
Maybe BH is trying so hard to put his stamp on this team he's changing the chemistry.

This statement May have a LOT of merit. I am still confused with O line changes. They were real solid last year, and return everybody. Sense no makes it.

The Griz O has to establish something that they can do reasonably well and something that they can fall back on when needed! So far I don't think we have established much of anything offensively.

Yes, we are installing a very complicated offense, but even so, we have to come up with 3, 4 or even a half dozen plays that we can repeatedly "execute" reliably, and consistantly. Something that we know will get us yards in "crunch time". Right now I even term "crunch time" as 3rd down and 2 or 3! Something to get us some 1st downs and keep the defense off the field a little longer!

Once you have your "base set" of plays, then add the additional more "complicated plays" a little at a time. It seems to me that the OC has completely thrown out our old play book and replaced it with his own. Over time this would have been O.K. but I dissagree with doing it all at once!

Maybe our offense will all come together in the next game or two and we will win the BSC. Up until this past game I've been a believer that this would happen and happen realitively quickly. Now I'm not so sure! I haven't seen the game to game improvement that one would expect. I still think we need to simplify our offense. Gain some success and confidence and build from there.

MichGriz and Geaux Griz, I agree completely!! I think BH just wants to make this "his" team and not Joe Glenn's team, and everything else be damned. I fear this coaching staff has destroyed any chemistry left over from last year, and that's an intangible that can't be restored quickly. I foresee an awfully long, frustrating rest-of-the-season.

Hauck is putting the stamp on this team that the fans demanded. He is installing Read's offense. That's what you wanted. He is taking offensive players used to only 3-4 formations and 10-12 plays that were fairly simple, and making them learn an offense with 10-12 different formations and several plays from each formation. When they get this offense learned they will be running 40-50 different plays from a dozen different formations.

This is a very steep learning curve.

We will need a couple or three more games for it to start clicking, but by the Idaho State game we will be getting 450 yards a game.

My prediction, and I'm sticking to it till they prove me wrong, damn it!

I, for one, never asked to have Don Read's offense re-installed. In fact, I always thought it was too one-dimensional (defenses knew they didn't have to defend against the run, ever!), and was part of the reason we lost a NC. That being said, what I've seen on the field so far this season IN NO WAY resembles anything Don Read ever did. I'm not sure whose offense is being used, but, if it were mine, I certainly wouldn't want my name attached to what we've been seeing the past three weeks.

ronbo said:
Hauck is putting the stamp on this team that the fans demanded. He is installing Read's offense. That's what you wanted. He is taking offensive players used to only 3-4 formations and 10-12 plays that were fairly simple, and making them learn an offense with 10-12 different formations and several plays from each formation. When they get this offense learned they will be running 40-50 different plays from a dozen different formations.

This is a very steep learning curve.

We will need a couple or three more games for it to start clicking, but by the Idaho State game we will be getting 450 yards a game.

My prediction, and I'm sticking to it till they prove me wrong, damn it!

ronbo i love your enthuesiasm(sp?)
Just a few nit picky things. I agree with 68Griz, this offense isn't really the don read offense. Its more pass-happy than Glenn, while more run oriented than Read. Which is good, or would be if it was working.

IMHO the biggest flaw with the current scheme is that every wr can pick his route depending on what he sees. Read passing attacks allowed some reads but a set route was the norm. trust me on that i've litterally seen the play book. What that allowed Dave to do was to look at the D, read it and think to himself " oh cool Baker will be open in the flat, if not i think the flag route will be open to cockhill." (dont get me wrong there were some choice routes in that system, but not for everyone and not on every play)
Currently, Disney will look a the D, read it, and pray that the wr reads the same thing. If not Disney may read that a short pass will work and the wr goes long, well, diz will be thinkig "oh, no way i;m throwing to him"
Also, i've not noticed a designated "hot" wr in obvious bliztin situations. What the qb needs to do is audible to a slot guy that he is "hot" and will be passed to if the blitz does indeed come or if protection is lacking and a 5 yard gain would ensue rather than what we've seen. Dickie would dare other teams to rush and hit the slot guy quickly when they did and get at least 5 yards, but often it would turn into much more.

Lastly, not only does the OC and players need to know the system, but the entire staff of offensive coaches need to know it backward and forward otherwise we'll see less than spectacular preparation.

But back to the good part. if working correctly this offense can put up over 400 yards as ronbo says, and i still think we have the players to do it.

From Sundays Missoulian titled UM Better, But Offense Still Flawed

"Some of this is the price Hauck has paid for bringing back Don Read's spread-style offense, which requires the quarterback and his receivers to read the defense and make correct, coordinated adjustments on the fly. It's not easy to mesh, even with savvy personnel, and it doesn't necessarily promote ball control or a strong rushing game."

You guys were pineing for a return to the on the fly SPREAD OFFENSE. Well it will be great in a half a year, or next year. Depending on how smart our guys are.

This offense is nothing close to Don Read's spread offense. It is boring, unimaginative and predictable. Griz have worst offense in the Big Sky so far.

I was excited when Hauck came back to UM, but have been very disappointed in the results so far. There has been absolutely no improvement in the offense from game 1 to game 3, and while we all hope things will get on track, and we still hope for the best, there are few signs of progress.

There is now a 2 week period where the Griz can practice without smoke and distractions and set things right. If we can get Molloy and Ochs back at some point, and we see improvement, there may still be hope for this season. However, if we don't see offensive improvement in the next two games against Idaho and Cal Poly, I doubt we will see improvement when we get into the tough Big Sky Conference season. We will have to say "wait 'till next year" and call this a rebuilding year. That will be hard for us spoiled Griz fans to take.

Latest posts

Back