• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will coaching improve?

JBS

Even with all the good news in the last week, and the feeling that a huge black cloud has been lifted off of the football team, I still have questions about the coaching. It wasn't good last year. My opinion is that with the simple decision to stick with McKinney last year, the Griz would have had a winning season and beaten the Cats. Not to mention game management, play calling, pathetic safety play, etc... Will the coaching get better? I have doubts. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. I know, because I'm only 50 and I have a hard time taking advice or admitting I need help. If the coaching stays the same, I still see problems. If it improves even in the game management area, I see a playoff team.

$64,000,000 question right there. And unfortunately we really wont fully know that answer until the season gets going.

We've seen some turnover this off-season but ultimately the responsibility lies at the top which is still Delaney.

I am by no means a fan of MD. Having said that - I remember Pflu's first year and thinking WTF? QB and DB deficiencies coupled with an OC who had his head clean up his a*s, did not help things. I think it is a little early to count MD out. More importantly, I am confident saying he and his staff kicked a*s on the recruiting trail this year. They must be doing something right. I say if he let's the young guys coach the Griz will have a great season. Simply put - just stay out of the way and continue to demand the kids have discipline.

One of the things I've learned is that while you have to have trust in your assistants, co-workers or employees, and you have to delegate some authority to them, you also have to be the one in charge and have the balls to tell someone that they f..cked the pooch if indeed they did.

What I saw last year out of Coach Delaney was that he may have delegated too much and not taken enough responsibility himself, to present a coordinated product on the field. This year I would anticipate there will be a much tougher hands on approach from the Head Coach.

In addition I think the changes that have been made in the staff are all for the better, so I do think, and pray, (maybe more praying than thinking :) ), that this year's coaching will be better than last year's was.

Copper Griz said:
I am by no means a fan of MD. Having said that - I remember Pflu's first year and thinking WTF? QB and DB deficiencies coupled with an OC who had his head clean up his a*s, did not help things. I think it is a little early to count MD out. More importantly, I am confident saying he and his staff kicked a*s on the recruiting trail this year. They must be doing something right. I say if he let's the young guys coach the Griz will have a great season. Simply put - just stay out of the way and continue to demand the kids have discipline.
Fair enough.

Gaeilge1 said:
One of the things I've learned is that while you have to have trust in your assistants, co-workers or employees, and you have to delegate some authority to them, you also have to be the one in charge and have the balls to tell someone that they f..cked the pooch if indeed they did.

What I saw last year out of Coach Delaney was that he may have delegated too much and not taken enough responsibility himself, to present a coordinated product on the field. This year I would anticipate there will be a much tougher hands on approach from the Head Coach.

In addition I think the changes that have been made in the staff are all for the better, so I do think, and pray, (maybe more praying than thinking :) ), that this year's coaching will be better than last year's was.

Just like the secondary, with a year under their belts I believe the coaching will be much improved.

Offensively, Johnson will help create the perception of improved coaching - if Mick doesn't get in the way.

bigskyguy said:
It's unfortunate that we have to give Delaney a whole year mulligan.
I agree, but like the guy above said, Pflugrads first year wasn't stellar.

Players win games. If our players take care of the ball and eliminate the critical mistakes they made last year in crunch time, we will be very tough to beat.

WaGriz4life said:
Players win games. If our players take care of the ball and eliminate the critical mistakes they made last year in crunch time, we will be very tough to beat.
Yes, we will be tough to beat, but so will a few of the teams we'll be playing. Coaching matters a whole lot.

Gaeilge1 said:
Showing the safeties coach the exit door should pay dividends. With good QB play, the Griz are loaded.

Yes coaching will DEFINITELY improve. Secondary play will definitely improve as well. Is this me being overly optimistic or wearing maroon colored glasses? Hell no, these things are easy to see and believe. Why? They cannot get worse than last season. I honestly believe that. Last season there were so many WTF moments with coaching and secondary play. I honestly do not see how it could be that bad again.

If, by small chance those coaching moments, and secondary play repeat again this season then the coaches need to be shown the door. Pflu had some WTF moments his 1st year. He, and his staff learned from them. They improved as much as anyone could improve. I hope and pray Delaney and his staff do the same this season. I tell you right now again, the coach I most critical of right now is Gregorak. He surely did not let his secondary play like his personality is.

I 100% believe coaching and secondary play will improve drastically this season.

tough call...not sure about mick. a LOT of things i like about him, but, alas...seems a bit "stuck" sometimes. lurch is green, as far as a "co"-OC would go, but he is a VERY sharp guy. don't let the "you rang?" fool you. he may struggle a bit this year with some growing pains, but is a very capable guy, one of the smartest dudes i've ever met. i'm cautiously optimistic. or optimistically cautious, whichever you prefer.

Wait a minute. Didn't this site annoite Rosy the greatest thing since sliced bread and that he was up and coming, a coach under the radar, etc, ?

hokeyfine said:
Wait a minute. Didn't this site annoite Rosy the greatest thing since sliced bread and that he was up and coming, a coach under the radar, etc, ?

What fun would reading and posting be if we were always right!! :|

hokeyfine said:
Yep. He was the head coach in training. Now he was the problem. I don't know, but things have to improve from the HEAD spot. No excuses.

even though I am only 43 I disagree with the statement you can't teach an old dog new tricks. You can it just takes longer. Some times it can take a year.

Back