• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why???

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdandlong

One thing that has chapped, chaffed, scorned my ass for many years is our inability to recruit and develop good high school QBs. Hell, in the 1990s and 2000s we routinely had a solid starter, and a very good backup waiting in the wings. Now, we can't even recruit a good starter. When was the last good starting QB who was a high school recruit? Now, we are all-in on the rent-a-QB program. There are so many years where I had to watch other Big Sky teams put great QBs on the field against us, players that they recruited out of high school. NAU, EWU, Idaho, and even Southern Utah. Weber, MSU, and Montana all seem to have the same problem recruiting QBs. Anyone got a theory as to why?

Caden Huot and Ah Yat come to mind
Neither is proven. I think Ah Yat might have potential, but his body of work is too limited to be certain. Huot has never taken a snap, has he?
Selle was recruited by Hauck and JJ was the year after. Berquist before that.
I understand that, but my point is about recent history, not ancient history. We don't play in 2009 any longer. That was 15 years ago. Got anything more recent?

I thought this thread my provide an opportunity to actually discuss a football topic. I thought we might get some reasons why Hauck 2.0 can't recruit a good high school QB. But nada. Is it Green's fault?

I thought this thread my provide an opportunity to actually discuss a football topic. I thought we might get some reasons why Hauck 2.0 can't recruit a good high school QB. But nada. Is it Green's fault?
You have driven away the people that actually try to talk football with you by berating them and insulting them for disagreeing, and now there is almost nobody left that wants to talk anything with you.

It's actually sort of an interesting question, there are probably a number of factors. Recruiting territories would be one. Unless we find a unicorn; an in-state QB who can grow to run an FCS team, we have to look further afield. One problem there is that our back yard with lots of population is Washington/Oregon which have powerhouse FBS teams known for throwing the football. Good Idaho kids are probably looking at Boise St or one of the Utah FBS programs.

Pressure from the fan base to win not just right now but always might affect how the staff look at QB's. The Griz fan base don't seem really big on allowing "growing pains" like a couple of 5-6 seasons.

I think you will find in the future that with the new college football realities it is less likely rather than more likely that we see Bobby's program or anybody's program more likely to develop kids who stick for 4/5 years at QB.

Or you may be on to something and perhaps developing QB's is not one of the strengths of Coach Hauck and his staff. Hell, we can't all be good at everything. I for example happen to be excellent at being a potentially gay, soccer playing, Canadian but I'm lousy with DIY projects.

I don't think pointing fingers as if there is some culpability attached is the right direction. I mean, how many of those QBs that the Griz have had, whether out of High school directly or transferring in, ended up with an injury that precluded their careers? Andrew Selle. Reese Phillips. Naming but a couple. Brady Gustafson was suffering under an injury for a while. Josh Swogger sustained a broken finger in the Iowa game that must've impacted his performance.
I mean, you can offer scholarships all you want but you can't force anyone to sign if they find an opportunity elsewhere; or perceive a better situation. One can, I suppose, dig for faults, etc., etc., etc. But then again, why not delve into the solution process; especially when fault lies vacant.

Neither is proven. I think Ah Yat might have potential, but his body of work is too limited to be certain. Huot has never taken a snap, has he?

I understand that, but my point is about recent history, not ancient history. We don't play in 2009 any longer. That was 15 years ago. Got anything more recent?
TurdInThePunchbowl: that’s too old.

Also Turd: that’s too recent.

Guess what, BH was not the coach for the vast majority of the gap period you are complaining about.

Turd: doesn’t matter, still BH’s fault.

I think we have done well at getting some good young talent in the door, but we can't just force the issue and start the younger guys if they are not better than the transfer that is sitting ahead of them. I don't see the net advantage in starting a freshman just to start a freshman.

In Hauck 2.0 we landed Danny Britt, who was very highly thought of coming out of High School. He was 4th in Nevada for passing yards, an all-state qb, and led his team to their first ever state title. He was considered a winner, and a tough kid too. He was also, according to a survey of hundreds of coaches, considered one of the most under-recruited kids in the nation. So that was pretty solid recruiting, and it didn't work out here for non-football reasons.

Landed Ah Yat, who you have a praised.

Landed Huot Three-time All-State selection dating back to 2019… Named First-Team All-State in 2021… A three-star prospect, Huot was the top-ranked recruit in the state of Montana… Rewrote the Helena High record books with many milestones, including career offensive yardage and passing TDs, with 6,977 and 61, respectively… Led the Bengals to a 9-3 record and a deep playoff run in his senior season under center.

Landed Luke Flowers, who was VERY highly thought of coming out of high school. Rated a three-star prospect by 247Sports… In first season as starter in 2022, passed for 3,009 yards and 37 touchdowns in leading Trojans to a Class 5A title… Named Idaho’s top quarterback in the class of 2024… Also held an offer from Arizona… Dad Aaron Flowers played football at Cal State Northridge and set a school single-game passing mark against UM in 1996 and coached QBs at Montana State… Carries a 3.9 GPA

Those are all REALLY solid recruits who have the intangibles we look for and have been very highly touted coming out of high school. But if we were to have forced any of those guys ahead of the older starter, it would have hurt the team's record at a time when many fans are screaming about how we need to win now. So, the coaches fielded a roster to "win now," and have continued to do it every year. It is on one of the young guys to take the job. It will not be handed to anyone. The pride and tradition of the Montana Grizzlies jersey is taken, not given, under this staff.

Please provide written proof that in the '90s and 2000s, the Griz routinely had a solid starter and a very good backup because I don't think the case can be made.

Were there periods of time where we had a solid starter and a decent backup? Sure, but I would contend that the Griz did not consistently have a solid starter and a very good backup during the 20-year period to which you are referring. Having Dickenson and Ah Yat at the same time was an anomaly that has yet to be repeated and is extremely unlikely in the current era of the portal.

One could make the argument that other teams have routinely found and developed better QB's than the Griz, but that's not the argument you're making.

One thing that has chapped, chaffed, scorned my ass for many years is our inability to recruit and develop good high school QBs. Hell, in the 1990s and 2000s we routinely had a solid starter, and a very good backup waiting in the wings. Now, we can't even recruit a good starter. When was the last good starting QB who was a high school recruit? Now, we are all-in on the rent-a-QB program. There are so many years where I had to watch other Big Sky teams put great QBs on the field against us, players that they recruited out of high school. NAU, EWU, Idaho, and even Southern Utah. Weber, MSU, and Montana all seem to have the same problem recruiting QBs. Anyone got a theory as to why?
It is not just Montana.
"One thing that has chapped, chaffed, scorned my ass for many years" I don't know if it is just me or are there numerous things daily that seem to chap, chaff and scorn your ass.

Please provide written proof that in the '90s and 2000s, the Griz routinely had a solid starter and a very good backup because I don't think the case can be made.

Were there periods of time where we had a solid starter and a decent backup? Sure, but I would contend that the Griz did not consistently have a solid starter and a very good backup during the 20-year period to which you are referring. Having Dickenson and Ah Yat at the same time was an anomaly that has yet to be repeated and is extremely unlikely in the current era of the portal.

One could make the argument that other teams have routinely found and developed better QB's than the Griz, but that's not the argument you're making.
Spot on about the portal. The “very good” backup would be gone. ESPN’s #1 HS 2023 QB is going to play for Boise F’ing State because he won’t have to “wait his turn” like he would at SC.

Alas the portal also giveth. At a program like UM, we can attract from the portal just as Boise did with Nelson, just at a lesser talent level, which is fine. You don’t usually get proven starters from the portal, but you do get players who are a few more years removed from senior prom.

Smart move on his part. He can play much sooner, and if he's really as good as advertised, sign a big contract to close out the college career at a major program.
Exactly. You can't really fault these guys for making the best decision for themselves personally. Unfortunately that just translates to teams rolling through players fairly consistently, especially FCS teams. I think we all just need to get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back