• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why was the Stretch Play Ran So Many Times?

mcg

DONOR
Why was the stretch play run so many times? It didn't seem to be working, but it was run over and over. There has to be a reason, some formation-thing or matchup or 'key' that resulted in the use of this play, what was it?

Note I'm not trying to flame anyone here, I'm really curious as to the thought process behind that play.

Yah... the game thread had a lot of us realizing this. Horrible coaching...that's why. It takes a certain kinda stubbornness to run the same play over and over with no success.

What I'm after is why did the coaches run the play so often, there had to be some element of the game that lead to that call, I'd like to know what it was.

Probably for the same reason the offensive coordinator backed off the punt coverage against Southern Utah last year when he was the special teams coach, the guy knows his football better than the rest...He must have played the game before.

mcg, not talking smack or not flaming anyone either, but the ONLY real answer you would get to your question is from Delaney, Kefense or Gragg, if indeed you aren't trying to flame anyone. You're not going to find that answer on Egriz, no matter how much inside knowledge the arm chair posters say they have. So if you are REALLY wanting a direct answer to your question, head up to the Adams center. The coaches are there right now. Who knows, they might actually be willing to sit down and talk to you about it.

havgrizfan said:
mcg, not talking smack or not flaming anyone either, but the ONLY real answer you would get to your question is from Delaney, Kefense or Gragg, if indeed you aren't trying to flame anyone. You're not going to find that answer on Egriz, no matter how much inside knowledge the arm chair posters say they have. So if you are REALLY wanting a direct answer to your question, head up to the Adams center. The coaches are there right now. Who knows, they might actually be willing to sit down and talk to you about it.

I actually think they'd be happy to explain it. And I really am simply curious as to the "key" that they saw that resulted in that play being called so many times. Maybe someone could ask on the Tuesday coaches show. I hear you about egriz, I suppose I figured that there is no harm in asking.

They were running Lead as well, with not much better results. Poly was getting off blocks and making plays. Coaches did not want to abandon the run as to shorten the game while they were still within striking distance. They could have passed more but with no run game to keep Poly honest, JJ would have probably had less time to throw/taken big hits. Griz WR's were not getting great separation a good deal of the time either.

I do agree that some more use of Pierson on option routes, and Warren out of the slot could help out the O some. It worked late although against a soft zone that JJ really picked apart. Earlier, Poly was playing quite a bit of man coverage.

Ya they could have easily smashed Jamal Wilson up the center on a dive, or possibly do a tail back counter to set up better blocking angles for other off-tackle run plays. The quick hitter up the center makes defenses honest quick!

Back