• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why not the Saints?

DMoo531

Now that NCAA has decided to look past Div I in evaluating strength of schedule, why not NAIA powerhouses? MT has the Saints, Tech & Lights. All are probably better than OK Panhandle. I know the Cats had a full house (overflowing from what they say) v Monmouth for $200k. Saints or Tech would have driven the 90 miles for next to nothing. Little further to Wash/Griz, but I'm sure a full house for a fraction of the cost.

A Griz/Tech & Cats/Saints game should be a staple.

DMoo531 said:
Now that NCAA has decided to look past Div I in evaluating strength of schedule, why not NAIA powerhouses? MT has the Saints, Tech & Lights. All are probably better than OK Panhandle. I know the Cats had a full house (overflowing from what they say) v Monmouth for $200k. Saints or Tech would have driven the 90 miles for next to nothing. Little further to Wash/Griz, but I'm sure a full house for a fraction of the cost.

A Griz/Tech & Cats/Saints game should be a staple.

I disagree. I don't like playing D-II and would hate to see us lower our standards even more. Quit scheduling these games, period. An all D-I schedule would be nice, even if the D-I is Albany or some other crap FCS team. I just hate seeing us waste a home game on a team like Oklahoma Panhandle state and the like.

I'm a huge NAIA fan and would be devestated if Montana or Montana State has to revert to that. Sorry, but just how I feel. The Griz are already close with the Panhandle game and the Cats came very close, playing a god-awful Minot State squad just one year after the Beavs moved out of the NAIA. There are always going to be a need to play a cupcake here and there, it's just part of scheduling and anybody who thinks it's 100 percent possible to put their dream sched together every single year, year after year, is fooling themselves. But the upper tier of the Big Sky: UM, MSU and EWU have absolutely no business playing NAIA schools. EVER.

havgrizfan said:
I'm a huge NAIA fan and would be devestated if Montana or Montana State has to revert to that. Sorry, but just how I feel. The Griz are already close with the Panhandle game and the Cats came very close, playing a god-awful Minot State squad just one year after the Beavs moved out of the NAIA. There are always going to be a need to play a cupcake here and there, it's just part of scheduling and anybody who thinks it's 100 percent possible to put their dream sched together every single year, year after year, is fooling themselves. But the upper tier of the Big Sky: UM, MSU and EWU have absolutely no business playing NAIA schools. EVER.

+1

I agree. I dislike playing Div II or under also. But there is Div II & there is Div II. NDSU a few years ago was Div II. They could have beaten most everyone in Div I-AA. Just as now they could beat most everyone in Div I-A. What I am saying, is if we have to dip down to find an opponent, why not a MT team? Saints, Tech & Lights are worthy opponents. More so than OK Panhandle or Co Mesa.

Griz fan every day of the year-but one. Go Cats!

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
havgrizfan said:

+1
+2

DMoo531 said:
I agree. I dislike playing Div II or under also. But there is Div II & there is Div II. What I am saying, is if we have to dip down to find an opponent,..

It should be no that the defending champion of Division II; no less. Etc., Etc., Etc.

I would say that the top of NAIA is comparable to the top of DII with both being better than DIII. Overall DII is stronger than NAIA I would say. Tech or Carroll would both beat OKPSU though

While I agree that the Griz should attempt to schedule all D1, I too would rather see them schedule Carroll over OPS. There are NAIA teams that offer more schollys than some D2 schools which, usually, means higher level of competition. Plus the money stays in-state

Someone was saying we have a Frontier school lined up for a future schedule. Better than some GNAC or RMAC team IMO since we're at least bringing other MT kids into WaGriz

Back