• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why no throws to Walden?

silvertipgriz

I'd like to hear some views on why our 6'7" tight end was not utilized the last two games. It defies all logic to me.....Ronbo, maybe you can analyze this for me.

A play action pass to a 6ft 7 tight end???? Are you crazy??? Why the hell would a team who's run the ball 50 times want to try that??? Silvertip, I'm right with you on this. Maybe Ronbo can explain it. I doubt it.

Question: Why did Willy Walden not receive a pass in the last two games?

Multiple choice:
A. Willy was not at the game.
B. Quarterbacks unable to throw the ball.
C. The offensive “genius” that is Coach Phencie.
D. There was another TE in the game.

What are you talking about??? Don't you remember that time they threw conservative play calling out the window and chucked the bomb to him as the waning moments dwindled? I remember thinking, "Well, it didn't work. Willy got his hand on it but dropped it. But at least we threw it deep to him."

But then I remembered that I was drunk and WW was playing in the defensive secondary that play and the pass had come from Michna.
DOH!! In a cruel twist of fate, the Leathernecks tried more attempts to our premiere pass catching threat than we did.

(btw, this isn't a complaint about the coaching/play calling. I don't know enough about coaching to know that stuff - it was just a thing that I thought was ironic.)

He did get a pass thrown to him. WIU threw him the ball when he was playing D before the Half. He didn't catch that one so BH figured he just didn't have it that game.
Oh ya by the way good call Ref!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrizTH said:
Question: Why did Willy Walden not receive a pass in the last two games?

Multiple choice:
A. Willy was not at the game.
B. Quarterbacks unable to throw the ball.
C. The offensive “genius” that is Coach Phencie.
D. There was another TE in the game.

you forgot choice
E. Walden was armless.

Hmmmm the Griz started to throwing to Big Willy and we win four in a row... the Griz quit throwing to him and we lose the last two... what is wrong with throwing to Big Willy in the red zone. Hell, throw it 10' in the air, that way Willy is the only one with a chance to catch it. No throws to Willy is inexcuseable. He had become a weapon. the OC got "tunnel vision" and couldn't adapt... BH needs to be more directive... override some of the playcalling in tight situations. Play calling way to conservative. WIU at times had 11 men in the box... why not, the Griz were not going to throw down field, that was abundantly clear... There needs to be a change or BH needs to take the OC aside and have a man to man talk. Go NAU....

Back