• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Whoa... Whoa.... and other game observations

ponezone

DONOR
Wow. What fun to beat those Vandals. :D My game observations:

1) Atmosphere. Sat's game had the feel of the "old" Griz games. Maybe JH's opening touchdown put the fans/players in the mood, but it was great. Lots of yelling, and only a few boos. Loved it. Still, we should be doing more of MONTANA.... GRIZZLIES chants. Why isn't the scoreboard used for this anymore?

2) Play-Calling. Still frustrated by this, however it was an improvement on Sat. I suspect we were somewhat hampered by the newbie qb's. It was great to surprise all with the addition of Sampson and the "veer", but our lack of effective passing puts lots of pressure on the run. Luckily the running program carried the day. Who would have thunk it? :-?

3) Whoa.. Whoa on the coronation of the new qb's. Yes, it was really great that the staff had the 3rd/4th string freshman in... however this won't be a long-term fix for the griz. Not to take anything away from these kids 'cause they sure stepped up when asked to... but Hartman's (few) passes were somewhat :oops: and his switching the play in the endzone was one of the worst rookie mistakes I've seen. Luckily it didn't cost the game or anything, therefore should be a good lesson. Sampson is elusive and seemed to throw a better ball. But, the Griz season will depend on the performance of Disney and Ochs with good BACKUP performance of Sampson and Hartman. With the running program working as well as it was, just about any qb could have worked it. Again, I don't want to take anything away from these young guys, just put their performance in perspective. I also must confess that I was a little disappointed that BH chose to feature them on his show. Either a few of the O-Line guys or even the RB's should have been on.

4) Third Quarter "no-shows". :drinking: :drinking: While I love the tailgates too :D it frustrates me just how slowly the fans get back into their seats after half-time. :drinking: :drinking: Usually I've felt that the Griz give away a touchdown during this period, but in Sat's game there was some great football in the early 3rd quarter that many fans missed out on. :drinking: :drinking: The fans really need to be in their seats to welcome the Griz back on the field and keep their momentum up. :drinking: :drinking:

5) Monte. MONTE. I just can't say enough about what a good mascot he is. Don't forget what an important factor he is in the game... just watch opposing team's mascots. Most visiting fans comment on Monte's performance. Give him your support when possible. :wink:

Not to take anything away from these kids 'cause they sure stepped up when asked to... but Hartman's (few) passes were somewhat and his switching the play in the endzone was one of the worst rookie mistakes I've seen. Luckily it didn't cost the game or anything, therefore should be a good lesson. Sampson is elusive and seemed to throw a better ball.

What game were you watching?!! Hartman was 7-12 passing for 92 yards with no interceptions. Samson was 0-2 with one interception. You say you aren't taking anything away from our new quarterbacks then you proceed to take everything away from them. They responded magnificently to their calling and deserve praise. Also, Hartman did NOT "switch" calls in the endzone. He should have audibled but he didn't.

My 3 1/2 cents....

It was definately a team win. Lot's of people scoring. Lot's of team effort.

WAY TO GO GRIZ "D" !!

Justin Green, Tuff Harris, LV! LV! LV!, Lex Hilliard, Samson: just to name a few who had a fantastic game.

Musical QB's... I love it! They both played with a lot of heart.

Griz...awsome "D" Oh did I already say that?

It was a key game for the Griz. I think that showed with 23,679 fans showing up, breaking the attendance record.

Rants:

Willie Waldon? Why throw it to him when you've got 6' 4" Jon Talmage?
Keep your chin up Jon, you threw some excellent blocks and caught a key pass in the 2nd half. Nice!

The Flag Happy Ref really ticked me off. Let the teams play.
Of course that conflicted with sloppy play.
And just for fun, how 'bout that call in the first half on the Idaho punt where it hit an Idaho player and the they get the ball, (and score on the next play). After I picked my jaw up off the ground, I had to chuckle. Oh please stop the insanity....

I'm now convinced that the Vandals cannot catch the ball.

I was a little off with my prediction of a 51-13 win, but hey a win is a win!

KILL CAL POLY !!! :grab:

Just a thought: wonder when the last time the Griz went 4-deep in the QB depth chart when the game was on the line? To a true freshman no less. (actually Samson was probably something like 7 or 8 deep now that I think about it).Also I expressed my reservations about WW's ability to catch a pass a few weeks ago---the guy needs to make the catches--in a different game this could determine the outcome!! 2 more dropped Saturday, both catchable. Several comments about the Idaho band, but not specifically about their half-time performance----it was truly outstanding. When we saw and heard them during the first half, my wife and I decided to stay and hear them at halftime. We were well rewarded, plus we got to see the Grizzlies score twice in the first five minutes of the third quarter.

Kudos grizfromhel for getting back to your seat for the second half.

Me and about twenty in my section were laughing at the fools that missed the early third quarter scores to wait in line for a lousy light beer. Ugh!

We never leave the stadium at half-time, so missing ANY of the third quarter is impossible. I mean, we pay to go see a football game, so why would we want to out in the parking lot when they're playing ball??

I'm also bothered by those folks who start streaming out the last couple minutes of the first half, like when they think the last score of the 2nd quarter has happened. Sometimes you can hardly see around all the people leaving.

The easy fix is to not allow re-entry. Works fine for all the other football stadiums in college football.

But then people say......"what about our tailgating" The solution to that is easy too......later starting games. Allow people to tailgate through the day w/ their homies....watching college football on espn....then kick it off at around 3:35......game is over by 6:30-7, and that gives you time to hit a restraunt before your two hour drive home. Kids home in bed by 10pm!

Course we would need some lights.......

Ya, we'd need lights and at least 50% of the crowd would be loaded. Might make for a rowdy bunch. I'm thinkin hooligan :evil: city baby. :drinking: but that's just my paranoia settin in

Geaux, lots of people have considerably more than a two-hour drive home -- you've been gone from Montana too long to remember the distances involved. And, Saturday's game ran nearly four hours -- so a 3:30 start would mean that the game wouldn't even be over before 7:30. That hardly gets folks to dinner and an 'easy' drive home before 10:00. As I've said before, PLEASE, no night games -- and no games starting any later than 1:00; 12:30 or 12:00 is fine with me too.

People pay a lot of money too go to the games. Let them do what ever they want at half time. The fans here are great why change anything?

If you didn't allow people to leave at half time alot of them wouldn't show up for the first half at all.

'68griz said:
Geaux, lots of people have considerably more than a two-hour drive home -- you've been gone from Montana too long to remember the distances involved. And, Saturday's game ran nearly four hours -- so a 3:30 start would mean that the game wouldn't even be over before 7:30. That hardly gets folks to dinner and an 'easy' drive home before 10:00. As I've said before, PLEASE, no night games -- and no games starting any later than 1:00; 12:30 or 12:00 is fine with me too.

Yeah? The whole 2 years I've been gone made the driving distances that much worse????? :wink:

Anywho, The real issue is not letting people go out at halftime. So lets do it. I have been to a lot of football in a lot of places, and I think that UM may be one of very few stadiums you can leave at half and re-enter.

And the night games would be awesome...weather permitting. So it is farther to drive from Billings. Where do MOST people come from.....

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the people that go to Griz games are within 3 hours of the stadium. And when I say majority....I mean 90%. The people from Billings are the exception. But I think they need to move to Missoula. That would help the local economy out year round! :wink:

Are there any people that came to the McGame last year? Who will verify the night game with strong all day tailgating was AWESOME there? It would be well worth it....plus we would gain fans that work during the day.

AT LSU....people come from all over the place...and They camp out on campus Friday and Saturday night. There's like 30,000 people camping out on the night b4 the game! That would be cool.

Just something to think about. :wink:

I don't think it is fair to compare missoula and LSU. Its cold here in the winter. You think people are going to camp out when it is 0 degrees? No way. Its cold enough during games in the day with the sun out. As soon as it starts getting dark the temperature drops alot. I think this has alot to do with why we have less people for playoff games. Its much colder that time of the year. Plus driving is only going to get worse the later the game is. It would make for an expensive weekend driving your family all the way to missoula and then having to spend the night in a motel.

I still say why change anything when we already have such a great atmosphere?

Yikes. I can finally personally relate to how stupid it is to leave even a minute early at the half. We don't tailgate, but do charge thru the crowd over to the UC to grab drinks etc., then really beat feet back to the stadium to be there for the start of the 3rd quarter. It takes a lot longer--especially with the expansion/stairs/crowd---to get out of the NEZ seats than it did last year when we were in the SEZ. So last week (stupid stupid stupid) we left 30 SECONDS before the end of the half. DUH!!! Somehow the Griz got the ball back and we were almost to the UC when the crowd erupted. Field goal---and we missed it!!! We're "reformed leavers" now---uh un, not gonna leave early ever again!!!

Its a free country. If people want to leave to tailgate a little at halftime let them do so. People are different. Don't fix that which ain't broken. Griz games are fantastic and very popular. If you don't like to tailgate at halftime great, enjoy the band, and sun yourself, but those who like to walk a little and have a beer, let them do that.

I went out at halftime of the Idaho game, had to wade through the crowd, wait in line to buy ticket, and wait again in line to get a beer and then sucked the beer down on my way back to the stadium but I got back in plenty of time to watch the 2nd half kickoff. I would not venture to deny folks who wanted a burger or a 2nd beer that opportunity. It is a free country folks. Griz scored 14 points in first 7 minutes of the 2nd half so it does not look like a few folks absence hurt the team any.

I know there are tailgaters who would balk at shutting the gates at halftime, but come one. People drink right up until 12:45 before the game. Is it really unreasonable to ask them not to drink for three hours?

People are filing out with 6-7 minutes to go in the second quarter. And they don't get back till half way through the third. They miss a complete quarter. Yeah it's a free country, but these folks aren't football fans they are alcoholics and picknickers. A real fan would never want to miss a Griz TD.

A real fan. There are 23,000 people at the games. Do you really think all of them come to watch the game? People go for lots of reasons- to watch the game, to sit out in the sun, to socialize, to drink, to eat at tailgates. Maybe we should have every one fill out an application and only those "real" fans should be allowed to get tickets. Every one else should only be able to watch it on tv. Surely that would make it much better on gameday. No more of those fake fans who go to enjoy themselves and not just watch the football game.

And yes it is unreasonable to ask them not too drink for three hours. Its part of the game for many people. What percent of the students do you think go just to watch the game. They go because its a big party. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to watch the games either. Because they are not real fans either.

Hey if you want to drink, you can go sit your alcoholic butt on a bar stool and sit there and never miss a play while you drink yourself into the usual stupper. If they would rather be out in the park drinking then give up the frickin' ticket to the people who couldn't get a ticket and WANTED to see the game but can't because it's FRICKEN soldout and they can't get one.

Since you know me so well you can call me an alcoholic right? In case you actually wanted to know I have missed the 2nd half kickoff one time this year against North Dakota State. And that is because I was outside cooking not drinking myself into a stupor. Otherwise I haven't missed a second of the football games. And while I can remember drinking myself into many stupors back in my college days thats not the case anymore. I would rather remember the games now. But that fact is I would never tell anyone they shouldn't be able to do whatever they wanted at the games. I think you would be surprised if only the people that were coming just to watch the game were allowed in. I realize some think we could get 50,000 people in here if we had the seats, but I think 23,000 is starting to push the limits and we should be happy with the fans we have now regardless if we come for the same reasons as them.

And as far as people not being able to get tickets that is not entirely true. I saw quite a few people selling tickets before the game.

Many people do out & drink at the tailgate parties,but if anybody has ever helped clean up after the games,you would be amazed at the amount of booze bottles found in the stadium. When we are leaving the stadium,there are empty bottles all over the place,so the fans are definetely drinking in the stadium.
There should never be a litmus test to determine who are true griz fans & who are not as everybody has their own standards to consider themselves a true griz fan. Should a person who gives $10,000 a year to GAA be considered a better"true Griz Fan" than somebody who just has enough to go to the game & buy a snack or two. I believe that these type of people are the backbone hardcore griz fans,not the rich guys who use it for a tax break. They, the average schmuck, are the ones who stick with the team(S) through thick & thin.

Latest posts

Back