• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who was the best griz team of all time??? The 96 griz

Baller1

I'm gonna say the 96 team led by Ah Yat and Douglas. Although we came up short to Marshal in the championship that was a clash of the two best 1-AA team ever. What do you guys think?????

Baller1

My thoughts exactly. Montana blew away everyone over the first 14 games, then Marshall had to cheat (and got to play in their own stadium) to win the championship. The Griz proved that they were a complete team, and not just Dave and company like everyone thought in 95.

Jimus you must have recieved a fine Private Catholic School education. I'm sure you didn't learn that the 96 team is the greatest griz team in theology though with all the screwing around. I'm a member of the triangle just so you know.

Baller1

P.S. lets not forget that Randy Moss should of been in jail when he was lighting up Billy Ivey

Funky. It's good to see a Montanan get back to his roots and join our humble little board. Not to name names, I'm guessing you're the triangle member who goes to school in Butte or in California (I think it's the latter), since the one who goes to UM isn't a baller and doesn't care about Griz sports. No one knows what the hell we're talking about, but oh well.

Good work. Yeah it is me the triangle member from California. But I am proud to say that I will be attending UM this next year. I just couldn't stay away from my Griz!!! I'll take the griz over sunshine anyday. Can't wait to watch the games live again although L.A. did broadcast the Cat v. Griz game. Looked cold. ha ha.

Baller1

While the 96 team was very deep and personel wise probably deeper than the 95 team I am going to have to go with the 1995 Grizzlies. The true measure of a teams greatness is the heart that it shows. In this respect the 95 grizzlies get my nod. The 95 griz had to fight for a lot of their victories. That group was battle hardened from wars with Idaho and Boise, and previous years (the snow game with Mcneese). Furthermore they played a much tougher schedule. Following 95 the big sky lost its top teams in Idaho and Boise State. The 95 team played Wazzu and lost. The additoin of Northridge and Sac State led to a weak schedule and an easy walk for the Griz.

Throw schedule aside and quit thinking with your head and not your heart. I think that everyone's favorite griz squad was the 95 team but you have to consider just pure talent level. The 96 team wins going away. 44-21.

Baller1

I must disagree with you. The biggest drawback of teh 96 team is the fact that Brian Ah Yat was at quarterback. The guy put up some recockulous numbers but if the pressure rose, he tried to blame stuff on the weather.

If the game is played in Hawaii, I agree that the 96 team wins.
Play the game in Montana from October on and the 95 team wins 28-17. Ah Yat couldnt stand up to the hits taht Brian Toone and Randy Riley would put no him.

Consider that the 95 Griz lost 38-21 to Washington State, but the 96 Griz BEAT Oregon State 35-14!!! Both sucked as Pac-10 teams back then, but you tell me which game was more impressive.

Dave Dickinson is just a winner, pure and simple. he would have picked the '96 team apart while Ah Yat wouldn't have handled the pressure quite so well. I go for the '95 team. Heck, after the '96 NC, a Marshall player admitted the Griz would have won if Dave Dickinson was QB, even though Marshall had a receiver like Moss and a more experience QB themselves. I think that player was one honest player on that Marshall team. I certainly do believe him. And Marshall was a lot better than they were in '95.

TrueGriz said:
Dave Dickinson is just a winner, pure and simple. he would have picked the '96 team apart while Ah Yat wouldn't have handled the pressure quite so well. I go for the '95 team. Heck, after the '96 NC, a Marshall player admitted the Griz would have won if Dave Dickinson was QB, even though Marshall had a receiver like Moss and a more experience QB themselves. I think that player was one honest player on that Marshall team. I certainly do believe him. And Marshall was a lot better than they were in '95.

That Marshall player was Billy Lyons, now of the Packers, the guy who personally wore DD out in the '95 championship game, with several of the 10 Marshall sacks that day--and yet he still made the quote, so you know he admired DD's talent and heart!

On paper, the 96 was better than the 95 team. Many of the 95 players were back, with an extra year of experience. Of course, the one key player who wasn't back was Diamond Dave. On the field, I would never bet against a Griz team with DD at QB.

I think the 2000 team deserves consideration as well. They had great players on both sides of the ball - Martin, Petek, Boomer, Steinau, Parker, Young, Huntsberger, Coleman, Farris, Szalay, Hancock, Molden, Humphery, Miller, Frederick, and Fitzgerald. In my opinion, the 2000 team was better, again on paper, than the 2001 National Championship squad.

I think both 1995 and 1996 were great teams and as someone stated they were basically the same team.

Don't be surprised if the 2003 and 2004 teams make you put 1995, 1996, 2000, and 2001 in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th place best teams.

Rombo.....

The optimism is oozing out of you this summer. You are gettin me all roused up! :wink:

Just don't freak out too bad when it doesn't go down the way you picture it right now. I think we may have some growing pains this year.....hopefully in the begining rather than the end of the year! But the talent is there. :lol:

Holy Cow! And How! I haven't been this bullish on the team since 1996 coming off the NC with most of the team back.

New and improved coaches. JMO some will argue this.
New and improved QB. I don't think I'll get many arguments here.
Some top talent back from injury.
Almost everyone else back from an 11-3 team.
Receiving corps with experience this year.
Stud running back transferring in.

This is a veteran team. No growing pains. These guys are working out all summer with a vengence. They see their destiny.

Oh! Yeah! I'm Excited, and I'm hoping the Sky is tough this season, it will be a good tuneup for the National Championship!

ronbo said:
Holy Cow! And How! I haven't been this bullish on the team since 1996 coming off the NC with most of the team back.

New and improved coaches. JMO some will argue this.
New and improved QB. I don't think I'll get many arguments here.
Some top talent back from injury.
Almost everyone else back from an 11-3 team.
Receiving corps with experience this year.
Stud running back transferring in.

This is a veteran team. No growing pains. These guys are working out all summer with a vengence. They see their destiny.

Oh! Yeah! I'm Excited, and I'm hoping the Sky is tough this season, it will be a good tuneup for the National Championship!

My God, I sure hope the Griz win, and win big this year. Just hate to see how this board will be if Griz do not win in the fashion that ronbo is predicting. Could be the most deflated, dejected Griz fan in all Grizdom. But, please, ronbo, try not to sound this way in front of Grizzly players. Inflated egos sometimes end up in misery. Wouldn't want our players to be to overconfident now, do we?

But, hey, nice to see you really, really, really, really, really, really, excited for Griz football.

GO GRIZ!!!!!!!!!

From an outsider's perspective, I thought the 95 team was really dominant because they had superstars on the offensive side of the ball and some great blue-collar guys manning the defense. The 96 team was also fantastic, but to say the '96 title game pitted the two best I-AA teams of ALL TIME may be a stretch. The overall field in I-AA was much tougher in 2000 and 2001 when Montana made a pair of championship appearances and claimed a title. Georgia Southern had a 15-0 team in 1989 and a team with unsurpassed offense (over 50 ppg) in 1999. Youngstown State's 1993 team was the best of their FOUR championship teams. Here are my TOP 10 I-AA teams, in no particular order (although my sense of loyalty precludes me from starting the list with anyone other than GSU)...

1. 1999 GSU Eagles (More offense than you can shake a stick at)
2. 1989 GSU Eagles (15-0, enough said)
3. 1998 GSU Eagles (lost in title game)
4. 1995 Montana Grizzlies (awesome team...)
5. 1996 Montana Grizzlies (also lost in title game)
6. 2001 Montana Grizzlies (not as dominant, but played in a better era of I-AA football)
7. 1996 Marshall Herd (a I-A team in I-AA clothing)
8. 1992 Marshall Herd (rebounded from championship loss year before)
9. 1993 Youngstown State (unbeatable late in the season)
10. 1991 Youngstown State (first championship team was impressive)

Here's a good one: the best teams NOT to win the title or EVN ADVANCE TO THE TITLE GAME!

Rockin Eagle said:
Here's a good one: the best teams NOT to win the title or EVN ADVANCE TO THE TITLE GAME!

Grambling could be one of those teams that would fit that. They eliminate themselves from playoffs every year with their game against Southern at end of November. Has had some pretty good teams.

Not bad, but I think Grambling is overrated. Other than Florida A&M, none of the Historically Black colleges have done much to distinguish themselves in the playoffs. Last year Georgia Southern played the best Bethune-Cookman team in that school's history and the Eagles dominated them.

What about the 1999 Griz? I know you guys were upset by Youngstown -- but considering you advanced to Chattanooga the next two years, tat must have been a pretty big upset...

As I recall, in that game we came from way back and took the lead in the 4th quarter and then let the game go. Heppner slipped and shanked a kick wide left on a FG attempt that would have put it in overtime. Because of other playoff upsets, Montana would have hosted the next two rounds to Chattanooga.

Each of our 3 losses in 1999 were by 3 points, and we were looking at a top 2 seed until the Idaho loss at home in the second-to-last regular season game. What a year, eh?

Back