• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Where does Tinks stand among all time best Griz coaches?

BWahlberg

DONOR
Had to look back at some more historical stuff for better reference but Tinks has probably already entered the discussion as one of the better/best coaches the Griz have ever had.

Looking at a few others:

George Dahlberg (1937-1955) 235-233, 50.2 win %, two tournament births - 1st round
Jud Heathcote (1971-1976) 80-53, 60.1 win %, one tournament birth - advanced to sweet 16
Mike Montgomery (1978-1986) 155-79, 66.2 win %, two NIT births - 1st round
Stew Morrill (1986 1990) 97-59, 62.2 win %, one tournament birth - 1st round
Blaine Taylor (1991-1998) 140-67, 67.6 win %, one NIT and one tournament birth
Larry Krystkowiak (2004-2005) 42-20, 67.7 win %, two tournament bids, advanced to 2nd round in 2005
Wayne Tinkle (2006-present) 141-76, 65 win %, three tournament bids, one CBIT bid

Coach Tinkle is the first Griz coach as best I could tell to take the Griz to the tourney 3 times. His record, esp over the last 4 years shows a stretch of UM dominance that is largely unmatched. There's been better teams, and better seasons - but when you look at body of work, Tinks is right up there as one of the best coaches the Griz have had.

Brandy was a good recruiter (Colorado connections). Brandy's Griz had to forfeit several games because of playing an Ineligible kid named (I think his name was) Lee Johnson. The lack of qualifying transfer credits was the issue, and probably more the fault of the scholastic review by the Athletic Director's staff.

BWahlberg said:
Silvertip said:
Don't remember...was Jim Brandenberg's record worth including?

26-29 in two years, did win the Big Sky tourney the 2nd year

Brandenberg is an anomaly. His teams actually played to a 38-16 record

76-77 18-8
77-78 20-8

However one of those years included the forfeited games do to the use of an ineligible player. Think it was MJ Richardson or Lee Johnson? The official record in 76-77 was thus changed from 18-8 to 8-18, but even with that I' getting 28-26 for Brandenberg.

ordigger said:
BWahlberg said:
Silvertip said:
Don't remember...was Jim Brandenberg's record worth including?

26-29 in two years, did win the Big Sky tourney the 2nd year

Brandenberg is an anomaly. His teams actually played to a 38-16 record

76-77 18-8
77-78 20-8

However one of those years included the forfeited games do to the use of an ineligible player. Think it was MJ Richardson or Lee Johnson? The official record in 76-77 was thus changed from 18-8 to 8-18, but even with that I' getting 28-26 for Brandenberg.
It was Lee Johnson.

If getting to the tourney is the ultimate goal...it's Tinkle. 50-13 in his last two seasons. If it wasn't for some ridiculous calls in Colorado, this would be 4 straight trips to the dance.

And he's just getting started. If he stays, he's gonna put this program on the map.

To me this is not even a discussion. Tinkle hands down is the best GRIZ coach. Then again, you all know I have said that few times the last few seasons.

The fact he has literally resurrected the program (with help of Krysko) from the Kennedy debacle is the biggest factor.

I wasnt around for the Heathcote days or Monty, so my memory goes back as far as Morrill. I have see the zoo at its finest and lowest (towards the end of Taylor's time through Kennedy) in terms of bball production and fan turn out. Tinkle has it on the rise again. In my opinion, if you factor in fan resurection, Big Sky titles, and NCAA appearances, there is really no question than Tinkle gets my vote. He is kind of doing what Read did for the football program.

This is an awesome time for fans of the University of Montana.

Heathcote was the best coach, with Tinks a close second...

However, Tinks is the best recruiter and UM promoter the griz have ever had!!!

Well, there's certainly no argument that among Griz coaches all time, Tinkle stands the tallest. I was around during the Montgomery era and UM basketball was the hot ticket in Missoula then. Tinkle, with the help of Larry K's solid stint before him, is doing a great job of winning today and building for tomorrow. And he's just a good guy. When I took my son over for the UMass playoff game some years ago, we ran into Coach Tinkle while waiting for our table at a restaurant. Of course we don't know him at all, but he nodded at me and then engaged my son in conversation...just a brief one, asking him about his weekend in Missoula, where he lived, etc...basically just words in passing, but I tell you, watching my son look up at Tinkle with wide eyes of amazement sure helped take the sting out of that loss to UMass the night before.

...when you add the total of all the partz...
...student..player..azz coach..head coach...
...tinkle iz eazily the all time #1 griz ever...

... :cool: ...

I think Montgomery was the best coach the griz have had. The BSC was much tougher in those days. If Tinkle stays and keeps it going I would pick him.

indian-outlaw said:
I think Montgomery was the best coach the griz have had. The BSC was much tougher in those days. If Tinkle stays and keeps it going I would pick him.

That's a really good point, the BSC these last few years has been a top 2 or 3 teams with the rest being incredibly marginal.

Even when Larry K was coach the BSC was tougher, we had better OOC schedules and even though the Griz didn't win the regular season in his 2nd year the Griz still landed the 12 seed heading into the tourney.

Honestly I'd say though if Tinks does stay a bit longer and with this team or with another Griz team can get to the sweet 16 or better, that could rocket him up to the conversation of being the best coach the Griz have ever had.

mtgrizrule said:
To me this is not even a discussion. Tinkle hands down is the best GRIZ coach. Then again, you all know I have said that few times the last few seasons.

MGR = Mrs. Tinkle?? :?

Grizmayor said:
mtgrizrule said:

MGR = Mrs. Tinkle?? :?

Dude you're getting douchier all the time, mayor of nothing.

Tinks has my vote. Unlike his pal Krysko, he has stuck around long enough to build something. Krysko made a name for himself and immediately parted company.

I'd say Tinkle is definitely in the mix. I will say this...Monty has had an incredible impact on the program. Every good coach on that list since Montgomery left had a strong tie to Monty, either as an assistant coach under him or in the case of Krysko and Tinks, as a player. I think Tinkle may go down as the best all-time coach after a few more good seasons, but we can't discount the positive impact of Montgomery on the program since his arrival. He recruited some great players. I had the good fortune of throwing back more than a few cold ones with Krysko and Tinks when we were all back in our college days and I can say they are both a couple of fun guys to be around. That era had a lot of fun guys...Played a lot of golf with Mike Wnek (during his one season on the team) Leroy Washington and Herb Jones (before his untimely death in a vehicle crash). Herb's personality was contagious. Everyone in Missoula loved that guy. If he had played an entire 4-yr stretch he would have gone down as one of the all-time favorite players. I can still remember waving signs in Dahlberg - "Krysko's our bread and butter but Herb's our JAM!" Krysko was dominant but the crowd would go crazy when Herb got some air and slammed it home. Griz basketball was king that decade and football was just coming into it's heyday. It's great to see Tinkle and the Griz program on top. He's done an an outstanding job and I wish him well.

Latest posts

Back