• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

When UM Was Dominant

kemajic

DONOR
38-2 from 9/3/00 to 11/15/02 under Joe Glenn
51-4 from 9/3/06 to 12/17/09 under Bobby Hauck

Now, not so much, but look at it this way; if these come along every 6 or 7 years, we should just about be ready for another....

When UM was dominant...

...my team didn't have a chance.

...I still had hair!

...I used to come to eGriz more often to see how "the other half" lived.

...people went to jail.

kemajic said:

Now, not so much, but look at it this way; if these come along every 6 or 7 years, we should just about be ready for another....

Those numbers are telling. I am a new fan so I don't know much but couldn't the Griz teams of the last few years just be less talented? A lot of NFL players came through UM during Hauck's years. And even the ones that played for Pflu were Hauck's recruits.

And WHO was are competition then? E Wash? Their record from 2000-07 was 53-40. I don't think we gave them all those 40 loses. Mabey seven if them. And dont bring up Weber cus they were 60-66 from 2000-10. I guess we didn't have alot of completion then.

alabamagrizzly said:
And WHO was are competition then? E Wash? Their record from 2000-07 was 53-40. I don't think we gave them all those 40 loses. Mabey seven if them. And dont bring up Weber cus they were 60-66 from 2000-10. I guess we didn't have alot of completion then.

We did have some very good competition then, but it wasn't always the same teams every year. Weber, Eastern and the Cats all had playoff teams, and some pretty good ones, as did NAU.

There have always been great QBs in the Big Sky too that we've faced, like Meyer, Lulay, Higgins and Murietta (and many more) along with other very talented offenses and defenses. Every year even with though we were at (or at least tied) with the top of the Big Sky, never losing more than 2 conference games while under Hauck.

People can claim the Big Sky is much much tougher than it used to be, and it probably has a bit, but not nearly as much as they claim or to account for our recent struggles. That also doesn't change the fact that the Griz have NOT beaten a team with a winning record against D1 opponents in the past 2 years.

Our best win in the past years has been against Liberty. They were 5-5, with all 5 of their wins coming in conference (the juggernaut known as the "Big South").

So we are 0-6 so far against teams with winning records in d1 competition.

What was our record with Hauck in his first 2 seasons against opponents with winning records? 8-5, with some of those wins and losses being in the playoffs.

What was our record with Pflu in his 2 seasons against opponents with winning records? 5-5, with some of those being in the playoffs.

If the Big Sky truly has improved so much, we got left behind then. Or maybe the more likely scenario is, it's improved slightly, and we've gone downhill. We still control our own destiny for making the playoffs this year though, which is a great sign! Last year any hope of playoffs were gone when UND abused our defense on October 20th. Hopefully we start the climb back up to the top where we belong! I'd love to see this team all of a sudden click like we did the 2nd half of the 2011 season!

Potomac Griz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

We did have some very good competition then, but it wasn't always the same teams every year. Weber, Eastern and the Cats all had playoff teams, and some pretty good ones, as did NAU.

There have always been great QBs in the Big Sky too that we've faced, like Meyer, Lulay, Higgins and Murietta (and many more) along with other very talented offenses and defenses. Every year even with though we were at (or at least tied) with the top of the Big Sky, never losing more than 2 conference games while under Hauck.

People can claim the Big Sky is much much tougher than it used to be, and it probably has a bit, but not nearly as much as they claim or to account for our recent struggles. That also doesn't change the fact that the Griz have NOT beaten a team with a winning record against D1 opponents in the past 2 years.

Our best win in the past years has been against Liberty. They were 5-5, with all 5 of their wins coming in conference (the juggernaut known as the "Big South").

So we are 0-6 so far against teams with winning records in d1 competition.

What was our record with Hauck in his first 2 seasons against opponents with winning records? 8-5, with some of those wins and losses being in the playoffs.

What was our record with Pflu in his 2 seasons against opponents with winning records? 5-5, with some of those being in the playoffs.

If the Big Sky truly has improved so much, we got left behind then. Or maybe the more likely scenario is, it's improved slightly, and we've gone downhill. We still control our own destiny for making the playoffs this year though, which is a great sign! Last year any hope of playoffs were gone when UND abused our defense on October 20th. Hopefully we start the climb back up to the top where we belong! I'd love to see this team all of a sudden click like we did the 2nd half of the 2011 season!
You make a very convincing argument and I will agree that as much as the others have improved, we have slid back. I do beleive also that although those teams then had great QB's, I'm not sure they had the defenses they do now. Not including the Montana boys, the BS has two other BB award candidates and four other preseason all-Americans, all coming from the other "power" teams in the conference except Bumpas of UNC. Coaching from other schools has also improved while ours has gone backwards. This is probably the #1 reason for the shift in dominance. Sourers I think has the longest tenure of any BS coach. Walsh of Cal Po is second in HC expeirience. Reily and Ash are the type of guys we would have gone after before the Engstrom debacle. I know talent wise we are just as good as anybody. I want a resurgence to dominance as much as anyone but I also beleive, no matter who the coach, the BSC is a much tuffer conference for one team to own.

Our conference is bigger and better. More balance, at least the upper five teams. I think we at UM are still competitive but we suffer complacency that affects programs that have gotten used to winning and lose their edge.

In a bigger sky I do not envision any school ever being dominant as we have. Sure, we will see the shorter 2-3 year 'wonders' but I really doubt eWU or cats ever do what we did in our golden age.

Consistency is hard, coaching changes complicate it

To those on top, enjoy it while it lasts......

"All glory is fleeting..." Gen. George S. Patton

alabamagrizzly said:
I guess we didn't have alot of completion then.
Presuming you meant to type "competition" instead of "completion", isn't that part of the definition of "dominant?" If you meant "completion", I'm lost....

Sorry, but there is only one team in the BSC that got better and that is EWU. Everybody else is still mediocre and the Griz slid back because of a coaching carousel. Other than EWU - what BSC teams have had playoff games and made deep playoff runs? No need to mention MSU. I am well aware of their consistent underachieving. This year maybe the conference will prove itself in the playoffs, but I am not holding my breath.

kemajic said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Presuming you meant to type "competition" instead of "completion", isn't that part of the definition of "dominant?" If you meant "completion", I'm lost....

If you did mean completion, please seek competent medical attention from a urologist.

Ursa Major said:
kemajic said:
alabamagrizzly said:

If you did mean completion, please seek competent medical attention from a urologist.

Not a bad idea... :lol: :lol: :lol:

msu has improved `1000 percent. take the griz blinders off. yes they fall short in the playoffs, but what is hilarious about that is, prior to msu's last two losses to sammy, griz fans were beating on cat fans about how sammy was better ANYWAY. so which is it, sammy was a better team, or the cats were better and choked? imho, sam houston was better than msu both in 2011 and 2012, and msu went as far as they could.

btw, since 2000, name ALL the higher seeded teams the griz have beaten in the playoffs. or better yet, name how many lower seeded teams the griz have LOST to in the playoffs, IN MISSOULA

havgrizfan said:
msu has improved `1000 percent. take the griz blinders off. yes they fall short in the playoffs, but what is hilarious about that is, prior to msu's last two losses to sammy, griz fans were beating on cat fans about how sammy was better ANYWAY. so which is it, sammy was a better team, or the cats were better and choked? imho, sam houston was better than msu both in 2011 and 2012, and msu went as far as they could.

btw, since 2000, name ALL the higher seeded teams the griz have beaten in the playoffs. or better yet, name how many lower seeded teams the griz have LOST to in the playoffs, IN MISSOULA
I think the point was that while MSU has improved since the Hysell days, they have not been good enough to get to the semis, which you amplified. You mentioned the embarassing SHSU beatdowns; could have included NDSU after the Bison had to win a play-in game. As for UM, beating #1 JMU at their place in the '08 semis comes to mind. Since UM had such a run of high seeds, they didn't play a lot of teams with higher seeds.

kemajic said:

51-4 and those were the days AG1 was unhappy.
The cats beat us several times during those years.

I also agree with Copper about teams getting better-only EWU can be put on the top pedestal because the cats have not proven they can get past the quarters.

I do believe the cat program has improved dramatically but I give more credit to the president with a strong assist to Ash. I love Ash as a person, but I am still not overly impressed with him as a head coach. He has suffered some really ugly beat downs as a head coach at state.

NativeGriz said:
kemajic said:

Huh???

The Griz were 4-0 against the cats during this timeframe.

Raider said:
NativeGriz said:
kemajic said:

Huh???

The Griz were 4-0 against the cats during this timeframe.
Sorry, I was misleading because I was rushing to post before starting work. I meant the Joe Glenn/Hauck years. We lost our chance at 17 straight during Joe Glenn years-granted it was after losing a dozen starters from the beginning of the year and we lost I think 03 and 05. I am at work so I cant verify my dates.

In that era, the Griz were 7-3 against the cats. Not sure that constitutes “several times”, but I guess that’s a matter of perspective. If you are comparing it to the 16 years prior then I guess I see your point.

havgrizfan said:

You mean all those years when MSU wasn't even IN the playoffs? ;)

Raider said:
In that era, the Griz were 7-3 against the cats. Not sure that constitutes “several times”, but I guess that’s a matter of perspective. If you are comparing it to the 16 years prior then I guess I see your point.
1-3 vs Travis Lulay. The 2nd best red headed QB to play in the Bug Sky

Back