• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's next for the stadium?

Which upgrade should be next?

• More seats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lights for night games

• More parking

• More tailgate party area

• More Luxery boxes

• Replay screen for people in the SEZ

• Nothing - it is perfect now

• Other

• Total voters

Grizbeer

I am curious what people on E-Griz thing should be the priority for future Washington Griz Stadium modifications

I voted for lights. While I think there are TONS of issues with night games (how do you find the tailgates in the dark?), it would be very cool to have 1-2 night games a year.

It would probably enhance the chances for getting more TV Games, and then could probably be used to host other high school games or something if the Griz are away...

Now that it's finished it's difficult to understand how the addition would have been any more expensive had the seats been put above the luxury boxes on the east sidelines. This wasn't like the first addition where seats were laid out relatively inexpensively on the exisiting berms. It's unusual to have a stadium where more than half of the seats are beyond the goal lines. The end zones are the LAST place you add on.

It's unusual to have a stadium where more than half of the seats are beyond the goal lines. The end zones are the LAST place you add on.

I agree with you Silvertip....

I have been told that they want to do some big expansion in the future on the East side which includes lux. boxes, and an upper deck of seats to tie in with the current expansion

now most of this discussion took place with numerous bottles of Crown Royal...and endless games of Horseshoes, or Darts (depending on the time of year of course).....so who knows! :drinking:

I think we could use 10,000 more seats....based on the number of season ticket holders....the students would gladly take over all of the end zone seats...and the season ticketholders move into another expansion.

just my thoughts.... but I'm all for it!

Go Griz

While its not a bad idea, I dont think more are necessary. Any more would be overkill in my opinion. And parking and getting to the game would be horendous(sp?) And I think Missoula would just about burst at the seams.

Just my thoughts...

I would like lights also, just for a couple games a year. Not the ones in the end of the season but for a couple games in September when its warm outside and people won't have to worry about driving home on icy roads late at night.

It is one of the oddest setups in the country. Most stadiums set up 80% of the crowds between the 20's. Not being negative, just pointing this out. I think the stadium is beautiful.

Here it's less than 50% between the 20's. Some on 1AA.org claim their high school stadiums had taller seating between the 20's than Wash/Griz.

The way they have expanded it puts a disproportionate amount of the crowd in the end zones. The games are more enjoyable from between the 20's ask anyone that showed for the scrimmage. I didn't see one person sitting in the SEZ.

I've got to believe this is the first phase of a bigger expansion between the goal lines. Better to have a couple thousand empty seats in the end zones and a crowd of 28,000 than to have a full stadium of 23,000 and no tickets available for many people that want to see the Griz live. They are already selling the stadium out again, people are already being denied access again, there should be a seat in the stadium for every butt that wants to see a game live. No one should be turned away.

I am surprised that no one mentioned press box improvements. If there is anything about Wa/Griz that is subpar it is the press box facilities. I mentioned it to Wayne at the GGE. He agreed that this is something that is at the top of the list and could be done in the relatively near future.

I am an NEZ ( rows 1,2,3 section 131 near the goal posts) guy and I wouldn't trade my seats for any other in the stadium. I'd bet half of my seats that most of the people sitting near me would say the same thing. We love the NEZ.

The next thing on the drawing board is another row of luxury boxes (and lights are still an option). HOwever, before they put them in, they have to decide where future expansion may occur.

THere are big structural issues in putting more seating on the berm on the east side from what I have been told. There is already settling with the current structure, and any new part would basically have to be self supporting. If you add on, you would have to move Campus drive further, which would also start to impact the physical plant, etc.

I dont think there will be any seating additions until everyone figures out what will happen with I-AA.

Does anyone know many seats we would need to qualify for 1-A? I can't remember. I'm one of the few who would like to see us in the WAC.

I believe they have dropped the stadium requirement but they require a certain average home attendance. Is it 15,000?

The smallest stadium in the WAC is San Jose State I think at 26,000. I'm not sure about that. But we are definately big enough already.

I would rather see the MWC. Wyoming and San Diego State don't even average 20K for their home games. They both had games in the 13,000 range last year.

But I would only be in favor of a move if the BCS split from the Mids and the Mids decided to go to a playoff. I see the MWC losing BYU and Colorado State to the BCS if they split away. They both have BCS ambitions big time and the MWC doesn't qualify. So they need to be invited. There is also talk that Boise State is a candidate to get invited BCS. Wow, they have come a long way respect wise in a short time.

Press boxes, and Luxury boxes I bet you will be in future plans. Lights are also, but have to wait for other things like the luxury seats, press boxes and possible expansion on east or west sides.

GrizRoc said:
Does anyone know many seats we would need to qualify for 1-A? I can't remember. I'm one of the few who would like to see us in the WAC.

with the new restrictions starting in 2004, requirements are 15,000 in paid attendance.
I think currently, it is 17,000 attendance in past 4 years or 30,000 capacity stadium.

TrueGriz - is it paid attendance or actual butts in the seats? I thought they had changed it to actual people in attendance.

grizpack said:
TrueGriz - is it paid attendance or actual butts in the seats? I thought they had changed it to actual people in attendance.

If I can find the time, I may try to confirm that. Now, that I think about it, I believe I may have read it as actual attendance (butts in seat) sometime ago. I think maybe I was assuming that most people who bought a ticket would show up, but a school could always report higher ticket sales just to show compliance.

Hogan has already suggested that lights and the badly needed new press box would have to come after the sideline expansion, particularly on the west side.

Silvertip said:
Hogan has already suggested that lights and the badly needed new press box would have to come after the sideline expansion, particularly on the west side.

What do you mean "sideline expansion"? I don't see how they can make the sidelines any bigger than they are. Do you mean more seats above the existing ones that are on the sides of the field?

cadwiz30 said:
Silvertip said:

What do you mean "sideline expansion"? I don't see how they can make the sidelines any bigger than they are. Do you mean more seats above the existing ones that are on the sides of the field?

Upper Decks have been mentioned. Either on the east or west side or both. You would have to plan for those first before you put lights in, or they would have to end up paying more money taking the lights out just to add the upper decks.

Latest posts

Back