• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's missing?

mtgrizrule

Confidence is the answer. Seriously, our offensive play callers need to take off the reigns. Right now they are wasting some serious offensive talent. I beg and plead, please let Jordan Johnson do his thing!!!! Have some damn confidence in one damn great QB. Have some confidence in the best young GRIZ WR we have seen in years . Ellis Henderson at this stage of his career is a better WR than Marc Mariani was as a sophomore. Also, are our offensive play callers blind? How can they not see the chemistry JJ and EH have? This could be very special duo. Have some confidence in the numerous play makers the GRIZ have. We actually have a couple of pretty good receiving TE's too. How about getting the ball to Canada, Vann, Jones, Henderson, Nacaratto (I'm starting to like this kid), in space?

How about having confidence in your offense to convert long 3rd downs? How many times did EWU convert long 3rd downs by letting their play makers be play makers? Meanwhile, the GRIZ do not challenge the opposing the defense. How about having some confidence in your damn players? In the last 2 games those players have shown heart and character beyond belief.

I am 100% positive, this year's GRIZ can be a great team. The coaching needs to have confidence in that. Coaches, please just let the players play!!! Starting next week at Sac State, I want to see the reigns off JJ and our offense. Defensively, I just want to see them play disciplined and start knocking people around hard. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
Confidence is the answer. Seriously, our offensive play callers need to take off the reigns. Right now they are wasting some serious offensive talent. I beg and plead, please let Jordan Johnson do his thing!!!! Have some damn confidence in one damn great QB. Have some confidence in the best young GRIZ WR we have seen in years . Ellis Henderson at this stage of his career is a better WR than Marc Mariani was as a sophomore. Also, are our offensive play callers blind? How can they not see the chemistry JJ and EH have? This could be very special duo. Have some confidence in the numerous play makers the GRIZ have. We actually have a couple of pretty good receiving TE's too. How about getting the ball to Canada, Vann, Jones, Henderson, Nacaratto (I'm starting to like this kid), in space?

How about having confidence in your offense to convert long 3rd downs? How many times did EWU convert long 3rd downs by letting their play makers be play makers? Meanwhile, the GRIZ do not challenge the opposing the defense. How about having some confidence in your damn players? In the last 2 games those players have shown heart and character beyond belief.

I am 100% positive, this year's GRIZ can be a great team. The coaching needs to have confidence in that. Coaches, please just let the players play!!! Starting next week at Sac State, I want to see the reigns off JJ and our offense. Defensively, I just want to see them play disciplined and start knocking people around hard. :thumb:

Another thing, I don't think our O line has a nasty streak. They seem to all be nice guys. I never see them pulling opponents of the pile or pushing them away from JJ.

lynn sellegren said:
mtgrizrule said:

Another thing, I don't think our O line has a nasty streak. They seem to all be nice guys. I never see them pulling opponents of the pile or pushing them away from JJ.
Need a little jd quinn!

mtgrizrule said:

great post totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

stubbins said:
lynn sellegren said:
mtgrizrule said:

Need a little jd quinn!

I think you are right on that too. I did love the block Poehls threw on Canada's TD though. He totally blew up a 2nd level defender, just like an OL is supposed to do. I got pretty excited on seeing that block. Too bad that is the only one that happened in the game.

mtgrizrule said:

Nice post.

You have schemes or game plans and personnel.

If they aren't working together you can do one of two things.
1. Change personnel to fit the scheme
2. Change the scheme to the personnel

Unlike the pros where you can just pick up someone to fit your scheme, in college you deal with what you have at this point in time. Unfortunately as a new coach, 2years in, you are dealing with people who you didn't recruit and may not fit into your philosophy. The question is do you fight through it or do you change the scheme to fit your personnel. Short term or long term success?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Robsnotes4u said:
mtgrizrule said:

Nice post.

Unlike the pros where you can just pick up someone to fit your scheme, in college you deal with what you have at this point in time. Unfortunately as a new coach, 2years in, you are dealing with people who you didn't recruit and may not fit into your philosophy. The question is do you fight through it or do you change the scheme to fit your personnel. Short term or long term success?

I would love to see JJ work in an offense that he could pick apart a defense. Canada and Van are also much better RB's in something more wide open. Defenses have caught on to stay home and not over pursue them, They are that good at cutting back. They are not plow horse backs though. Counts looked pretty good until he got injured.

Besides how long term can Delaney be with his age?

mtgrizrule said:
Robsnotes4u said:
mtgrizrule said:

Nice post.

I would love to see JJ work in an offense that he could pick apart a defense. Canada and Van are also much better RB's in something more wide open. Defenses have caught on to stay home and not over pursue them, They are that good at cutting back. They are not plow horse backs though. Counts looked pretty good until he got injured.

Besides how long term can Delaney be with his age?

I think you are totally correct. They seem to try to run a control offense much like NDSU. You can do that when you have NDSU's defense. Playing like you mention gives the team a chance to get on a too, put the opposition on its heels, and most importantly the ability to react and recover from mistakes.

The first drive started that way then they abandoned it.

I am with you

What we are missing is flexability. Play calling should not be an exercise in driving nails with your forehead. We need to go with what works, even if that means that we sling it around some. I'm not saying that we should get cute and go gimmicky, but we need to break with the current mentality. Pound, pound, pass, punt will not win games. Being stubborn in this situation does the team no favors. Just my 2 cents.

PDXGrizzly said:
What we are missing is flexability. Play calling should not be an exercise in driving nails with your forehead. We need to go with what works, even if that means that we sling it around some. I'm not saying that we should get cute and go gimmicky, but we need to break with the current mentality. Pound, pound, pass, punt will not win games. Being stubborn in this situation does the team no favors. Just my 2 cents.

Yep

This is a great question. First of all, I think Delaney is hell bent on running the ball. That works against mediocre teams but not against the likes of Cal Poly and EWU. There is a lot to be said about sticking to a game plan but there is even more to be said about stubbornness and lack of flexibility.
To run the pro style offense Delaney likes I think we need a power back like Hilliard or Reynolds. We do not have that at this time although Counts is headed that way. Therefore it would be wise to modify the offense to the talent on hand. Open up the play book and let JJ perform. Yesterday he was getting hammered in the pocket.
The coaches eventually opened up the play against Poly and EWU but with EWU the lead was too big to overcome. I think good halftime adjustments would be to go to a more pass orientated offense in the second half if the first half looks ugly like it has in the last two games.
Our offense is too predictable and the better defensive coordinators have figured that out and have planned for it very successfully.

Excellent thread and posts. Yesterday's pre-game interview with Delaney said a lot for my opinion of what the problem is. Delaney said he felt the Griz could run the ball and if they were unsuccessful he would be disappointed. He later commented that fifty years from now establishing the run game would probably remain one of a coaches main objectives and if it wasn't he did not want to be part of that type of game. Telling - very telling. I am busting on the OC's all day yesterday, but seriously the problem starts at the top with philosophy. Bobby Hauck had the o lines to hammer people and grind them down. He also had the defense to keep the points low. We have neither one of these near as I can tell. Time to adapt. For the love of God adapt.

I think we have an overrated o-line, JJ is having to run for his life back there and he is taking alot more hits than any other QB that we have faced.I think the Griz also lack a solid game plan on defense, I know we keep saying this on here but some Nickel package as a base D vs 3 and 4 wide might help. But after that comeback yesterday there is the one thing this team does not lack and that is HEART!! I think

JayLarson said:
I think we have an overrated o-line, JJ is having to run for his life back there and he is taking alot more hits than any other QB that we have faced.I think the Griz also lack a solid game plan on defense, I know we keep saying this on here but some Nickel package as a base D vs 3 and 4 wide might help. But after that comeback yesterday there is the one thing this team does not lack and that is HEART!! I think
you are right on the mark. I felt bad for Jp when he got isolated on the slot receiver. EWU was looking for that matchup and it cost us. He is a good backer but cannot cover a receiver. This adjustment has to be made because we have been burned by this scheme in other games. Give Gamboa a shot in those situations I think he has the speed to not get burned over the top. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

....pretty much spot on....

Our days at the top that we took as an almost "divine right" to all things related to montana football are in serious flux.

Coaches, schemes, talent, inve$tment.....have direct bearing on the decline.....and obviously the challenges from a bigger pool of rivals that seek to imitate our run of dominance.

I am way old enough to recall days of meager crowds, support and iffy facilities and loved the generation of success....but all is continuing to evolve and we realists understand that it may take a long while to find the football nirvana again.

The rise, fall and rise again of our basketball prominence provides some valuable perspective

Griz to the core and to the end.....

first11 said:
....pretty much spot on....

Our days at the top that we took as an almost "divine right" to all things related to montana football are in serious flux.

Coaches, schemes, talent, inve$tment.....have direct bearing on the decline.....and obviously the challenges from a bigger pool of rivals that seek to imitate our run of dominance.

I am way old enough to recall days of meager crowds, support and iffy facilities and loved the generation of success....but all is continuing to evolve and we realists understand that it may take a long while to find the football nirvana again.

The rise, fall and rise again of our basketball prominence provides some valuable perspective

Griz to the core and to the end.....

Yeppers

What's missing: An offensive coordinator(s) who forgot to photocopy the rest of the playbook. They can't seem to figure out why every page seems to say "Page 1" at the bottom. How many fecking times are we going to run the ball outside with Canada/Van for very little, if any, gain. Establishing the run game is totally stupid when you're down two scores early in the game. At that point it's time to sound the alarms and get your isht together. I bet our YPC the last two games is pretty awful. **Edit: Just looked it up. 2.7 yards per carry vs EWU, Poly, and NAU, 5.3 yards in our wins. Establishing the run is a very 1990s way of playing modern college football. Right now college football is about scoring as fast as you can using a dynamic offense. We're trying to play like Wisconsin with a team full of Oregon Ducks. Bootlegging JJ (whether by design or for his life) isn't making this offense good. Our offensive line is so overrated it's not funny, they're not built for this offense.

I was telling the guy next to me yesterday this season feels exactly like Pflugrad's first year.. Andrew Selle and Justin Roper running a zone read offense.. except now it's exactly the opposite.

Also, god help the defense. A constant struggle all year long has been the secondary, in particular, never turning around to see where the ball is at. SOOOO many long completions this year where the DB never has any idea where the ball is at until the WR is racing down the sideline because they never look back. If Kanongaata is out in coverage there damn well better be a safety backing him every single time. Kanongaata is a good LB, but out in coverage is a hot pile of bad.

This loss is directly on the coaching staff's shoulders. I'll back the players to the end, but this one is directly on Delaney and his coaching misfits. The team didn't even show up prepared to play until the 4th quarter.

Latest posts

Back