• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What will the Coaches pull out of the hat for Cal Poly?

ronbo

They run the Veer Offense, they practice against it all the time. They'll be ready for that easy.

So what should we do, what's their weaknesses and strengths. I hope the Coaches are burning the midnight oil coming up with another good gameplan.

What did NAU do to stop them?

Maybe we need to get a copy of the NAU/CalPoly game video or ask bribe Jerome Sauers :D I think that NAU has a pretty balanced attack that features a good passing game. If CalPoly's defense is stiff against the rush, then we need to see our "prolific" passing game get into high (or at least semi-high) gear. :rocket: :snipersmile: :2gunfire:

How about the wishbone :wink: I know, why dont we throw the ball. They will never expect it!!! :lol:

Sooner or later, Bobby is going to have to quit relying on "gimmicks" and develop a consistent form of offense. Back in the Read days, everyone knew that they were going to pass 50+ times every game, but it didn't matter, no one could stop it. Stuff like surprising teams with the option only works once, now everyone else will be prepared for it.

I'm not saying it wasn't pretty funny to surprise Idaho with that, but relying on surprise only works so many times. BTW, was this Idaho team the most God-awful I-A ever assembled?! What a joke! I honestly don't think they would win more than 1 or 2 (if they were lucky) games against Big Sky teams. They were the worst-coached, most inept team I have seen in a long, long time. They would be lucky if the Big Sky took them back.

BozoneCat said:
Sooner or later, Bobby is going to have to quit relying on "gimmicks" and develop a consistent form of offense. Back in the Read days, everyone knew that they were going to pass 50+ times every game, but it didn't matter, no one could stop it. Stuff like surprising teams with the option only works once, now everyone else will be prepared for it.

I'm not saying it wasn't pretty funny to surprise Idaho with that, but relying on surprise only works so many times. BTW, was this Idaho team the most God-awful I-A ever assembled?! What a joke! I honestly don't think they would win more than 1 or 2 (if they were lucky) games against Big Sky teams. They were the worst-coached, most inept team I have seen in a long, long time. They would be lucky if the Big Sky took them back.

Lest you forget, that same Idaho team gave UW a good run. Their defense was caught off guard by the Griz. I wouldn't not put them in the Big Sky cellar at all... I do believe they would beat the CATS... :lol:

Lest you forget, that same Idaho team gave UW a good run. Their defense was caught off guard by the Griz. I wouldn't not put them in the Big Sky cellar at all... I do believe they would beat the CATS...

U of I would SMACK the cat's...even this terribleseason.

They played 3 Legit top 25 teams in D1 .....BOZONE The Griz finally came together as a unit, and kicked their butt's physically up and down the field all day long.

Had Lindgren not came in at QB and got a few drives and scores...it would have been 70 something to 16

They made a mistake in starting harrington....when it is Lindgren who has been in that program for 5 years.... and threw the ball 500 yards a game several times last season.

Their coach gambled on the wrong guy....and now he is O-5

......and on his way out of a Job. (Kinda like Kramer will be in a month or so if he is not careful)

as for what surprise is next?

For you football purist....maybe a little "Heaven & Hell a.k.a lonesome polecat"

GO GRIZ

I would suspect, from what I have read on the different boards that I visit, that Cal Poly will test your run D like the Bison did. This will be another interesting Great West/Big Sky match up. I am looking forward to catching it on the TV if it doesn't conflict with the Bison.

Come on, guys. Do you really believe that Idaho gave UW a real test? I you believe that, then I have a bridge I would like to sell you. Do you think it is possible that UW played the game like they would against a I-AA team; i.e., didn't use a full selection of plays and played a lot of their subs? Anyone who watched this Idaho team play would fully admit that they are a horrible, horrible team.

I was not meaning this as an attack against the infallible Grizzlies, guys. I was just saying that beating Idaho will probably be your easiest game the rest of the year, mainly because Idaho is just that bad. Which is sad, because there is no way in hell that they should be that bad with 20 more scholarships. I give it up to the Griz, they handed the Vandals their butts, and owned them in every aspect of the game. Even physically, which the Griz weren't supposed to do.

I really do not believe the Vandals would beat MSU. And trust me, I am not the most-approving fan of MSU football right now. The final score would probably be another 8-5 game! Maybe Corey would run one back and it would be 14-5. The supposed weakest team in the league (Weber) just kicked serious butt at Eastern, so I really can't see Idaho winning at all in the Sky. Which is not an insult to anyone (except UI), it is a ringing endorsement for where Big Sky football has risen to.

You guys left out the main part of my post, which is my opinion that Bobby is using too many gimmicks and too much secrecy. Personally, I just think those things only last so long before teams will catch on to them. I do give him a lot of credit for adjusting to who he had available to play and designing a system to work around them, though. Always a good sign, from a coaching perspective.

I don't think that Hauck intended the option to be a long term fix. I believe he was forced to protect his freshman quarterbacks and felt like playing a little smashmouth football was their best chance to win. And every game is important when it comes down to seeding at the end of the year. Home field advantage is huge, especially if we can get some southern team up here in December! I think it was a great move for that game and he may use bits and pieces going forward, but they will continue to work on the passing game. A balanced attack come November and December is what will make their season or not. I believe Hauck has that philosophy from what I've seen and heard. Now, he won't tell you about it, because that's a secret!

Oh I wouldn't talk so fast. He sure sounds like he is going to use it.

Exact quote from tonights sports by Hauck. "The Veer Option in probably the greatest play in football and is impossible to stop. If they adjust to it, it opens up our other run game."

Sure sounds like our opponents will get a mix of the Veer run offense, the Spread pass offense, and the Pro Set run and pass offense. They'll have to prepare for all three.

ronbo said:
Oh I wouldn't talk so fast. He sure sounds like he is going to use it.

Exact quote from tonights sports by Hauck. "The Veer Option in probably the greatest play in football and is impossible to stop. If they adjust to it, it opens up our other run game."

Sure sounds like our opponents will get a mix of the Veer run offense, the Spread pass offense, and the Pro Set run and pass offense. They'll have to prepare for all three.

Or is Hauck just trying to BS the future teams we face into preparing for both? I will take everything that Bobby says from here on out with a giant grain of SLAT![/b]

Idaho isn't bad. I watched a team that has quite a bit of talent that would compete for the Big Sky Conference championship right away.

But what the team lacks is discipline. Blame the coaches for that. Cable must go.

Bozone said:

You know, I don't think you could call our offense against Idaho "gimmicks." I know what you're saying, but really this was just good strategy. We had a difficult situation, and Hauck/coaches/Griz adjusted to it. I would MUCH rather see him use his head and do that, than just stick to something consistent that wouldn't work in this situation. I'm sure we will show up with a consistent form of offense once we have the healthy personnel to do so. Plus, who says the option is only going to be used for surprise? With the option (even used occasionally), running and passing in the future, we will really be a multifaceted team and will certainly give opponents a lot to worry about. I am as proud of Hauck and his crew as I am of the Griz, and that is saying a WHOLE bunch.

BozoneCat said:

And I suppose the option won't work against the Cats because they've seen it once this year already and had their asses handed to them by an option team?

Here's a bridge the folks in Bozo already bought: "Travis Lulay led a spirited comeback that didn't fall short, but just ran out of time..." Oh don't they all. Two weeks in a row and nothing to show.
Why are you guys so cranky?
Hey, I'm not bad mouthing your kids - Coach K already is.

Some of you GET IT and some are missing the point completely. You don't need to surprise teams with the option. It's a really tough offense to stop. Period. Teams prepare all week to stop it and can't. Case in point Southern Utah last year or was it the year before. We literally had to outscore them, we certainly couldn't stop them. And we had the superior athletes by far.

It's not trickery! Ask Georgia Southern. We have athletes equal to them and we should take advantage.

Quote from a Portland State Fan on AnyGivenSaturday.com

The Griz with an option attack???!!! As if you all aren't good anyway. PSU had a terrible time stopping Nicholls' option. We thought we saw the last of it. I beg you, Griz fans, leave the option out of the Big Sky...(please?)

You can prepare for the option but if it is executed correctly and by superior athletes it's tough to stop.

I say we run it as we would another formation. Use the Spread, use the Veer, use the Pro Set. Hell, it could be an awesome sight to see the defenses scrambling to try to stop us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of suprises and Cal-Poly, what do you thing the Griz D will do that Mustang coach Rich Ellerson hasn't seen. He created the desert swarm D that the Griz use now. He was Hammershmidt's coach/boss when H became familiar with the flex. I'm sure he knows its weaknesses a mile away.

Yeah and Hammerschmidt knows the Defense as well as Ellerson. It will be interesting. A real chess match. :D

I trust that Hauck and company will have some "gimmicks" prepared just for the Bobcats that no one else has seen before. As for next week, Cal Poly won't know what to expect, and I'd wager that the coaches will keep it that way and not reveal a starting QB until the Griz O first takes the field on Saturday.

Throw away the hat-no tricks needed. NAU scored 2 of its 3 touchdowns on the ground. They had touchdowns of 69 and 17 yards using smashmouth rushing. Yes, we can do that and more when you add another 350 yds. thru the air. Add in Punt and Kickoff returns and the Griz cruise 44-6.

WYOBISONMAN said:
I would suspect, from what I have read on the different boards that I visit, that Cal Poly will test your run D like the Bison did. This will be another interesting Great West/Big Sky match up. I am looking forward to catching it on the TV if it doesn't conflict with the Bison.

Hmmm, and what tape must it have been that Cal Davis watched in their defeat of the Bison.

Back