• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What Will Motivate App St This Season?

PlayerRep

With App St unable to participate in the playoffs or for the conference championship, what will be the level of motivation to prepare off-season, practice hard, and win its close games? I can't imagine that the transition year will not negatively affect the level of motivation. Will the big conference games be as important this year?

Think of the seniors and even juniors who came to App St to win championships and go to the playoffs. They didn't sign up for a transition year. This season may be a disappointment for them.

Sure, they will want to win their games and play with pride. However, at top FCS schools like App St and Montana, the conference championships and playoffs are extra motivations and goals.

Perhaps the Montana game will be their playoff game this year. It's a big game, but not like the semifinal game in Missoula several years ago. App St plays Georgia in November.

I've noticed some App St and Geo So comments on other boards, talking about how this is going to be a bitter-sweet season. Yes, the excitement of moving up, but no anticipation for a possible national championship run or even conference championship.

Ok, I'll bite on this one....
I think they'll come in wanting to play hard because of the fact that they don't, and can't really afford to go into next season with the reputation of them gettin their asses beat up by FCS schools. They can't turn themselves into bait in that big FBS pond, cesspool I should say.
But I will agree with you on the fact that the juniors and seniors my have lost their motivation, maybe. I personally wouldn't want to be apart of junior/senior squad that losses all hope snd focus and sends your university into a bigger subdivision looking like a bunch of chumps. Who knows. IMO there is actually a lot on the line for this program. But it's up to the Jr/Senior squad to decide on how much it really matters to them.

I think App State Jr and Sr will play hard for pride. They will be the king pins in this transition. They will be the ones that closed one great chapter of App State Football to start another. They will want to go out on top no doubt about it. Same goes for GSU this season. Both these schools players will play hard to continue tradition! Don't forget we are not talking about the transition of two schools that have little to no following.

Silvertip said:
"Short term pain for long term gain" :thumb:

Or, short term pain for long term pain. :thumb: I can't wait to hopefully see them play in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in a few years, damn that will be awesome! :?

GrizPony said:
Silvertip said:
"Short term pain for long term gain" :thumb:

Or, short term pain for long term pain. :thumb: I can't wait to hopefully see them play in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in a few years, damn that will be awesome! :?
:lol: my thoughts exactly :lol: This team could have already gone south or like OrgonGriz said, lots of pride a stake here. All it takes is one guy not liking the move up and losing an ounce of pride and its all over except the digging.

Seriously, if the players can not get motivated just to perform well and win games then they probably should not be playing college football.

grizindabox said:
Seriously, if the players can not get motivated just to perform well and win games then they probably should not be playing college football.
I was thinking more of the effect of the transition. These kids signed up when App St was winning National Championships. Not Totino Pizza Bowls.

i dunno, playing in a "fight hunger" bowl may send a better message about the university than playing in the fcs national championship. which brings up this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/03/sports/ncaafootball/oregon-football-complex-is-glittering-monument-to-ducks-ambitions.html?ref=sports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

argh! said:
i dunno, playing in a "fight hunger" bowl may send a better message about the university than playing in the fcs national championship. which brings up this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/03/sports/ncaafootball/oregon-football-complex-is-glittering-monument-to-ducks-ambitions.html?ref=sports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I see your point. And that's a good article. More of a long term goal but in reality, what Oregan has done with its program is unlikely to happen to App St. I mean, just look at Wyoming. Lol.

grizindabox said:

It's obvious you never played the game.

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Nope, what's obvious is that when I played the game, I was motivated to play my best and do everything I could to win. Why is it that every time someone states a differing opinion, you always have to throw out the "it is obvious you have never played the game" when you don't know $hit?

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Nope, what's obvious is that when I played the game, I was motivated to play my best and do everything I could to win. Why is it that every time someone states a differing opinion, you always have to throw out the "it is obvious you have never played the game" when you don't know $hit?

Because that's the way he rolls. I have a feeling he was one of those players that played hard "when he wanted to".

poorgriz said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Because that's the way he rolls. I have a feeling he was one of those players that played hard "when he wanted to".

Prima donna?

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Wow.

Everyone that I know who has ever played the game (me included) was motivated to win every game, whether we were 11-0 and headed to the playoffs or 0-11 and headed home. Hell, I wanted to win every DOWN. As box alludes to, if you have to play for something beyond personal pride, playoffs probably aren't going to be a consideration for you anyhow.

I think there is a bit of a let down if there isn't something important on the line. Also, since they are going to be FBS, they may think they are playing down.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Wow.

Everyone that I know who has ever played the game (me included) was motivated to win every game, whether we were 11-0 and headed to the playoffs or 0-11 and headed home. Hell, I wanted to win every DOWN. As box alludes to, if you have to play for something beyond personal pride, playoffs probably aren't going to be a consideration for you anyhow.
:clap: :thumb:

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

Wow.

You and the other poster are way behind the game now. Do you really not see the possible loss of motiivation for App this year. Even Spanky understands.

Wow..PR. I didn't think you could suck anyone into the "venus flytrap" on this one. I was dead wrong. However don't kid yourself. It isn't the content, it's just the fact it's just you. :dope: Motivation??? Your f.....g kidding me right?? :grenade: :egriz:

Latest posts

Back