• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What will be the downfall

What do you think is the weak link

• Coaching

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Kicking Game

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • Secondary

Votes: 19 25.7%

• Total voters

Forshizzlegrizzle

DONOR
Alright I don't mean to put a damper on everyones good thoughts about the season. But IF there is going to be a reason for another tough season what will it be.

Forshizzlegrizzle said:
Alright I don't mean to put a damper on everyones good thoughts about the season. But IF there is going to be a reason for another tough season what will it be.

A little pull will take care of the wedgie you are dealing with.

we were spoiled by Larson, Hepner (sp?), Snyder, Carpenter...that was a good stretch. Hope they are looking at the kid from Helena High for next year. Probably would start right off the bat.

EastCoastGriz said:
Forshizzlegrizzle said:

A little pull with take care of the wedgie you are dealing with.

Me no understand what you say....

(you can't edit after I comment.. No this looks stupid..)

Forshizzlegrizzle said:
we were spoiled by Larson, Hepner (sp?), Snyder, Carpenter...that was a good stretch. Hope they are looking at the kid from Helena High for next year. Probably would start right off the bat.
I beleive Carpenters fr year wasn't much better then Liders. Don't know stats of the top of my head but that's what I remember. Same with Snyder. Alpha probly called him Slider his fr year. Kickin's tuff. I know most of us can hit 50 yarders but we're all grown men. Theses are 18 and 19 year old kids. He'll be alright. If anything, coaching has my vote

Forshizzlegrizzle said:

Have you given any thought to the possibility of delivering the pre-game psych-up speech in the Griz locker room this Friday evening?

Forshizzlegrizzle said:

Only positive thoughts here shiz! ;)

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
Have you given any thought to the possibility of delivering the pre-game psych-up speech in the Griz locker room this Friday evening?

LOL!

"Nasal discharge" would have to be pretty high on the list.

However, I want to clear something up about the "snot incident." The first time I watched it, I saw the big boog hanging down, and I thought for sure Delaney slurped it right into his mouth with his tongue. But I was watching it with a guy who has really awesome TV/DVR, and after the game we watched it again, extremely zoomed in and in slow motion. What actually happened is that Delaney sucked it right back up into his nose.

Thank you for allowing me to clarify, and enjoy your lunch.

Coaching blunders directly cost us at least two games last year. I still see that as the biggest potential obstacle to a banner year.

AllWeatherFan said:
Cotton-eyed Hoe said:

LOL!

"Nasal discharge" would have to be pretty high on the list.

However, I want to clear something up about the "snot incident." The first time I watched it, I saw the big boog hanging down, and I thought for sure Delaney slurped it right into his mouth with his tongue. But I was watching it with a guy who has really awesome TV/DVR, and after the game we watched it again, extremely zoomed in and in slow motion. What actually happened is that Delaney sucked it right back up into his nose.

Thank you for allowing me to clarify, and enjoy your lunch.
Glad someone got that mystery solved.

I think the secondary is the weak link but they are not that bad and the front seven should bail them out on a regular basis.

I said coaching, but I think it comes down to, what I think was, the main problem for the team last year, and that's a complete lack of offensive production when we need it most.

This team looks stacked for a steady offensive barrage, but there's no guarantee that this staff can keep it up all game, as certainly last year they failed pretty badly at it.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think the defense was as bad as the stats say last year, and even if it were, the 2004 passing defense was arguably worse, and we still made the chipper. And although the kicking game wasn't great, it wasn't great in 2008, yet we still went to the chipper then, too. Those are things that stick out like a rusty nail and are easy to point out, but they're really just surface problems, whereas the weak structural foundation to this metaphorical football house lies in the offense and it's ability (or inability) to produce, and honestly has in each of the disappointing Griz teams of the last decade (2012, 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2002, etc.)

Say what you want about how we were great at offense (1st in overall, 2nd in rushing), but looking past that and at the actual games last year, I can't count the number of times the offense needed to show up, and didn't.

A sustainable offense that can score when we need them to, or at the very least least chew up some yardage and clock and get first downs when we have a lead, will go the furthest in determining whether we have a good, bad, or great season. I honestly hope (and honestly think) JJ and the changes to the offense will be exactly what we were missing. :thumb:

uofmman1122 said:
I said coaching, but I think it comes down to, what I think was, the main problem for the team last year, and that's a complete lack of offensive production when we need it most.

This team looks stacked for a steady offensive barrage, but there's no guarantee that this staff can keep it up all game, as certainly last year they failed pretty badly at it.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think the defense was as bad as the stats say last year, and even if it were, the 2004 passing defense was arguably worse, and we still made the chipper. And although the kicking game wasn't great, it wasn't great in 2008, yet we still went to the chipper then, too. Those are things that stick out like a rusty nail and are easy to point out, but they're really just surface problems, whereas the weak structural foundation to this metaphorical football house lies in the offense and it's ability (or inability) to produce, and honestly has in each of the disappointing Griz teams of the last decade (2012, 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2002, etc.)

Say what you want about how we were great at offense (1st in overall, 2nd in rushing), but looking past that and at the actual games last year, I can't count the number of times the offense needed to show up, and didn't.

A sustainable offense that can score when we need them to, or at the very least least chew up some yardage and clock and get first downs when we have a lead, will go the furthest in determining whether we have a good, bad, or great season. I honestly hope (and honestly think) JJ and the changes to the offense will be exactly what we were missing. :thumb:

To that end, I think the coaches made a great decision in switching to a more pro-style, power running type offense. We have the O-line and the backs to pull if off, and with the advantage of having a QB who can actually throw downfield accurately, we should be able to burn defenses pretty badly with the play action.

I for sure thought that coaching would be the highest vote getter. Especially after witnessing some of the dumbest football strategy in the history of the game last season.

Back