• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What the.......

GeauxGriz

Just saw the new pics of the stadium expansion.

Can anyone offer some insight? What the heck is the finished product suppose to look like? Why is the upper half of the far right hand side of the west side seats all gone? Do they plan to connect the west side seats to the NW corner expansion? Or just leave it overhanging......or what?

Maybe I just need to have some patience....... :roll:

GeauxGriz said:
Just saw the new pics of the stadium expansion.

Can anyone offer some insight? What the heck is the finished product suppose to look like? Why is the upper half of the far right hand side of the west side seats all gone? Do they plan to connect the west side seats to the NW corner expansion? Or just leave it overhanging......or what?

Maybe I just need to have some patience....... :roll:

Looks like a deck to me. There is a little area just below to stand and view the game. Maybe a concession area will be located there ala/Safeco Field. There is a future second deck planned for that side. I have the feeling this is designed to tie into that.

gs070303_03.jpg

I'm with you, Geaux. That northwest section doesn't seem to match up with either the west stands or the north endzone. It just seems to be a suspended abomination. Why couldn't the area between the west and north just be filled in like the northeast corner? :roll: I'm afraid our beautiful symmetrical stadium has become lopsided. Someone who knows the plan should be able to explain the logic. I hope the architect wasn't from Bozoland! :-?

Give it time, everybody. The NE side will have a deck just the same. And there'll be more seats between the new NW section as it is built now and the main North EZ seats. the seats in the upper-corner sections on each side won't connect to the pre-existing North EZ seats, but they'll be slightly higher. The whole thing will look fine when it's all finished. Very imposing looking, akin to "The Swamp" at Florida. I hope they eventually build some seats along the east and west sides, because the stadium looks funny with 40+ rows behind the enzone and only 27 rows along the sidelines.

griz.jpg

1) Looks like there will definately be seats put in this area. There are supports there. It appears to me that the lone section that is there now will tie in nicely with the North End Zone seats.

2) Is this section going to be lowered down here or is this a standing room viewing area being planned? Or is there another section to be added here?

3) This protruding support indicates to me that this section isn't in it's final resting place yet. It's going to be lowered and adjusted to sit flush with this support that's sticking out.

Regarding #2, I think that's an area for handicap seating. That space will definitely stay that way. And for #3, I don't think they add anymore seats along there because there's nothing in the original architect's rendering that shows any seats beyond there. That support is likely just there because it was more convenient to put it there.

in regards to #3: This according to the UM web site is only a temporary support to be removed when the section is completed. I have been going over to the stadium regularly since construction began and I think everyone is going to be really impressed with the finished product. New concessions, and an elevated walkway that ties the East and West sections with the NEZ. If Wa/Griz was already the finest facility in I-AA it certainly will be when the expansion is complete.

Getting back to #3, that isn't the temporary support that was mentioned in another caption on the site. It's sticking out like that because building it directly under the stands would mean it would have to be standing out of the visitors' tunnel.

gs070303_05.jpg

Jimus said:
Getting back to #3, that isn't the temporary support that was mentioned in another caption on the site. It's sticking out like that because building it directly under the stands would mean it would have to be standing out of the visitors' tunnel.

gs070303_05.jpg

I see what you mean about the visitors tunnel, but why in GOD's NAME didn't they design enough seats to fill over that support? You see what I mean? Make the stands 4-6 feet wider and you are flush and you have 50-60 more seats.

Concerning the bare portion of the support beam at the far northwest end of the addition, I think you're missing the point. Nothing is going there NOW, but if you ever want to pin a new set of west sideline seats into the north endzone, you have to make room for it. I know you all love Washington Grizzly, but speaking from a purely structural standpoint, the sideline seats are terribly flawed. They were built on earth with no true supports underneath. That earth is now settling, which is why giant cracks run the north south through the sideline seating. If this wasn't a partial gift, the university would be suing the pants off of the contractor for work that really didn't last 10 years. And the earth is still settling. Considering a flaw of this magnitude, it would be foolish to even build new skyboxes on the existing sideline seating --it is all going to have to be torn down eventually, probably sooner than any of us realize.
I have to hand it to this athletic administration for coming up with a design plan that can be built upon for 15 years or more.

griz4life said:
Concerning the bare portion of the support beam at the far northwest end of the addition, I think you're missing the point. Nothing is going there NOW, but if you ever want to pin a new set of west sideline seats into the north endzone, you have to make room for it. I know you all love Washington Grizzly, but speaking from a purely structural standpoint, the sideline seats are terribly flawed. They were built on earth with no true supports underneath. That earth is now settling, which is why giant cracks run the north south through the sideline seating. If this wasn't a partial gift, the university would be suing the pants off of the contractor for work that really didn't last 10 years. And the earth is still settling. Considering a flaw of this magnitude, it would be foolish to even build new skyboxes on the existing sideline seating --it is all going to have to be torn down eventually, probably sooner than any of us realize.
I have to hand it to this athletic administration for coming up with a design plan that can be built upon for 15 years or more.

Are you sure the earth is still settling? It would seem that after 20 years, it would be pretty well settled.

But that would answer my question as to why they wouldn't expand up on the sidelines. I always said it would be better to add a deck to one side or the other instead of adding to the enzone. We will be the only stadium in the nation with more rows in the Nzones than on the sidelines... :roll:

Maybe they have plans to re- do the east and west bleachers completly.....then thay could go up another 20 rows or so on each side....... I guess I have no foresight. :lol:

I thought they addressed that a few years back and took care of it. I remember reading in a game program that the east and west stands were slowly sinking and then they took care of it. I've noticed cracks on the west concourse, but not in the stands.

I've always wondered about a possible expansion to the sides. Could they even add an upper-deck, or would they be too steep for everyone to get an unobstructed view of the field? I imagine they'd have to take down all the skyboxes and just continue from the seats that are already there. That might be cheaper, because they wouldn't have to build a new walking level for a second deck. But then rebuilding new boxes above the new seats could be a construction headache. Does anyone know what another expansion would look like?

There are still plans for expanding the sides if warranted. Griz4life is correct that there is still some settling going on, but that doesn't seem to be the major reason for the current expansion in the end zones. That is where it could be done for the least amount of money. If it is done on the sides, the boxes will have to be removed and rebuilt, or supports will have to be built around them. Then entire 2nd level is designed to be set on pillars, much as the NEZ is now, but that is light years away.

Look for the next addition to be another row of luxury boxes on the East side. There are already enough commitments to build them.

FYI. The original design allowed for a roof to be put on. Thankfully the remodelling has ended that possibility for now.

Back