• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What is the future looking like for Will Cherry?

-MiningCityGriz-

As we know he didn't get drafted but I think he will go under free agency and get picked up but who knows I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the best for him.

With the Warriors not having a pick in the Draft, I wonder if they will give Cherry a shot in the summer D league?

putter said:
With the Warriors not having a pick in the Draft, I wonder if they will give Cherry a shot in the summer D league?
Yeah I watched his pre-draft workout interview and it seems the Warriors and Cherry are very familiar with each other since Will grew up in oakland and him always going to the Warriors camp as a kid and even the Warriors calling him back to help coach/mentor the camps.

'68griz said:
Okay ... at this moment, where is Will?
In Oakland with his family waiting for a team somewhere to give him a chance or he can try out for a team which I'm assuming he will do if he doesnt make NBA D-league (development league) a step away from the NBA then he will try taking his talents internationally if he want's to.

'68griz said:
Okay ... at this moment, where is Will?

I am fairly sure I found him somewhere in the upper-left hand corner . . .

Wally---Gobbling-G_2346215b.jpg

Hate to break it to you guys but he's not NBA material. Yeah, he can play defense but where's his jumper? I could see him playing over in china or some Euro league but not in the NBA.. Let's be realistic here, you gotta have a wicked jumpshot or be able to create your own shot for a guy his size to play in the league.

"Will Cherry became a star the second he stepped on the court at Montana. Now he'll get a chance to prove he belongs at the next level. The recent Griz grad will play in the NBA Summer League with the New Orleans Pelicans.

Cherry is one of 12 to make the squad. And one of only two point guards, including 2012 Pelicans first round pick Austin Rivers. The Summer League starts next Friday with the Pelicans featured on NBA TV versus the Knicks. 22 teams will head to Las Vegas and play at least 5 games, with a single elimination tournament determining a champion. Cherry ended his Montana career ranked number one in school history in steals, number four in assists, and number seven in scoring."

http://www.kpax.com/news/will-cherry-to-play-in-nba-summer-league/

ouch. the pelicans just traded for jrue holiday, a great young player. with rivers already there, it seems they're set at the point for a good while.

citay said:
ouch. the pelicans just traded for jrue holiday, a great young player. with rivers already there, it seems they're set at the point for a good while.

Plans for Rivers are at SG, and maybe combo guard. PG is not his best fit. :thumb:

citay said:
Yeah but it seems no matter what that organization does it just can't produce a winning team.

grizcountry420 said:
Hate to break it to you guys but he's not NBA material. Yeah, he can play defense but where's his jumper? I could see him playing over in china or some Euro league but not in the NBA.. Let's be realistic here, you gotta have a wicked jumpshot or be able to create your own shot for a guy his size to play in the league.
There are alot of one-dimensional players in the nba like Dennis Rodman (defensive player), Rajon Rondo
And even Carmello Anthony can be considered one and there are many more. It is a long shot for Cherry but there are alot of teams that would love to have his defensive skill. And alot of players were known to be a one dimensional player and turn into something greater again it is a long shot but it isn't impossible.

the warriors right now have a roster player kept solely for his defensive skills, kent bazemore. saw him in a pro-am league the other night, can't shoot a lick. but at 6'5" with freakish long arms and good quickness, he's a defensive disruptor, a la will. coaches love defense. played right, it's far more reliable than offense.

we'll see if will's quickness and sixth-sense ball-hawking skills will translate to the next level. if they do, he's got a shot--shot or not.

-MiningCityGriz- said:
grizcountry420 said:
There are alot of one-dimensional players in the nba like Dennis Rodman (defensive player), Rajon Rondo
And even Carmello Anthony can be considered one and there are many more. It is a long shot for Cherry but there are alot of teams that would love to have his defensive skill. And alot of players were known to be a one dimensional player and turn into something greater again it is a long shot but it isn't impossible.

Bruce Bowen.

from the new orleans pelicans website, regarding the las vegas summer league:

Who are some of the non-obvious Pelicans players to watch?
Jon Brockman spent last season overseas, but prior to that he was in the NBA for three consecutive years, with Sacramento and Milwaukee. He is the University of Washington’s all-time leading rebounder … Montana product Will Cherry was deemed an intriguing NBA prospect during a stellar career at the Big Sky Conference school, but a broken foot negatively impacted him as a senior. He was the 82nd-ranked prospect on NBADraft.net’s “Big Board,” but went undrafted last month. … Tamir Jackson was a top-200 high school prospect in the 2009 class and wrapped up his college career at Rice as the program’s sixth-leading scorer of all time. … Elston Turner Jr. finished third in the SEC in scoring average in 2012-13, ranking behind only the mercurial Marshall Henderson of Ole Miss and Detroit Pistons lottery pick Kentavious Caldwell-Pope of Georgia.

citay said:
from the new orleans pelicans website, regarding the las vegas summer league:

Who are some of the non-obvious Pelicans players to watch?
Jon Brockman spent last season overseas, but prior to that he was in the NBA for three consecutive years, with Sacramento and Milwaukee. He is the University of Washington’s all-time leading rebounder … Montana product Will Cherry was deemed an intriguing NBA prospect during a stellar career at the Big Sky Conference school, but a broken foot negatively impacted him as a senior. He was the 82nd-ranked prospect on NBADraft.net’s “Big Board,” but went undrafted last month. … Tamir Jackson was a top-200 high school prospect in the 2009 class and wrapped up his college career at Rice as the program’s sixth-leading scorer of all time. … Elston Turner Jr. finished third in the SEC in scoring average in 2012-13, ranking behind only the mercurial Marshall Henderson of Ole Miss and Detroit Pistons lottery pick Kentavious Caldwell-Pope of Georgia.

Citay, when it comes to Cherry updates and finds, you are and have been the man from day 1. :thumb:

Back