• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What Happens Now? Re: FCS

IdaGriz01

I dislike starting a new thread for this guy -- who's usually full of it -- but discussions of where the FCS is headed (with "defections" and re-alignment in the air) have gone off the first page.

Does anyone else think that the fact that there are still around 125 FCS teams will really matter?

Edit: Got distracted and didn't include the link that triggered this thought. Here it is http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...ork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

FCS will be around as long as there are schools that want to comply with title IX on the cheap and still be fully DI in most sports.
It's reached its angle of repose.

Watch for FCS to reduce to 50 schollies. DII+. That will squeeze more of the top programs out and encourage more DIIs to come up. Bottom line, continuing reduction in relevance.

When the last of the premier teams have departed, the FCS will labor on as college football's version of a halfway house populated by a rag tag collection of mismatched schools with few resources and even fewer ambitions for a meaningful future...

I agree about the scholarship reductions. The Socon Commish's recent mention of it, and then the Socon's recent adds seem to favor a reduction. Mercer has no schollies. VMI is tragically terrible and the commitment doesnt seem to be there, and ETSU has no football at all.

I dont see Samford, Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, Western, Mercer and VMI putting up a fight over it. Chattanooga has been reported to have some big financial issues athletically, and I believe Western, after the Wagner experiment, and losing its biggest money games will be too. Every App St away FB game averaged over 2,000 higher in attendance last year than the next highest attended game on each schools' schedule. And I dont see average attendance staying at the same levels that they have been with App and GSU on the schedule.

They may have to revisit the decision a few times, but I think it will eventually pass, and that doesnt bode well for the FCS as a whole.

FCS has never been a brand promoted by its members, or even protected. Few schools do what's best for FCS when push comes to shove. MSU had an excellent chance to promoted FCS by playing the national champion this year, but chose to schedule to a home game with Great Clips Academy instead.
You can't promote FCS if the subdivision's most intriguing matchups are cancelled for mediocre payouts. And let's face it, even an FBS bodybag game of $500,000 is mediocre in the grand scale of D-I football.

That said, all this hand wringing about the "best of FCS" moving on is just jibber jabber. When Nevada and Marshall, and Troy and North Texas and Louisiana Tech and Akron and Boise State and Connecticut etc, etc., moved on they were all thinking they were the best of FCS. And guess what? FCS just kept on being as uh, "significant" , to DI football as it's ever been. And it will remain that significant moving forward no matter who leaves.

griz4life said:
FCS has never been a brand promoted by its members, or even protected. Few schools do what's best for FCS when push comes to shove. MSU had an excellent chance to promoted FCS by playing the national champion this year, but chose to schedule to a home game with Great Clips Academy instead.
You can't promote FCS if the subdivision's most intriguing matchups are cancelled for mediocre payouts. And let's face it, even an FBS bodybag game of $500,000 is mediocre in the grand scale of D-I football.

Even that game would have had zero promotion outside of the normal FCS circles.

griz4life said:

That said, all this hand wringing about the "best of FCS" moving on is just jibber jabber. When Nevada and Marshall, and Troy and North Texas and Louisiana Tech and Akron and Boise State and Connecticut etc, etc., moved on they were all thinking they were the best of FCS. And guess what? FCS just kept on being as uh, "significant" , to DI football as it's ever been. And it will remain that significant moving forward no matter who leaves.

So true, especially to those who are in it at the time!

Just curious... say that the FCS reduced scholarships... would you be in favor of staying in the FCS or moving "up?"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GrizMusician said:
Just curious... say that the FCS reduced scholarships... would you be in favor of staying in the FCS or moving "up?"

I sense a poll coming up.

griz4life said:
MSU had an excellent chance to promoted FCS by playing the national champion this year, but chose to schedule to a home game with Great Clips Academy instead.

Nobody outside of North Dakota or Montana cared about that game. It's not like it was going to be on ESPN in prime time and be the talk of college football. :roll:

Plus, are the schools who move up "doing what's best for FCS"?

NorthwestFresh said:
griz4life said:
MSU had an excellent chance to promoted FCS by playing the national champion this year, but chose to schedule to a home game with Great Clips Academy instead.

Nobody outside of North Dakota or Montana cared about that game. It's not like it was going to be on ESPN in prime time and be the talk of college football. :roll:

Plus, are the schools who move up "doing what's best for FCS"?
Really? The No. 1 FCS and No.3 FCS schools meet in the regular season and nobody outside of North Dakota and Montana cares? Do you follow FCS much? Pretty much everyone ranked in the top 12 looking for a chance to advance in the rankings pays attention to games like that, which can also have playoff seeding implications. You should check it out.

kemajic said:
GrizMusician said:

I sense a poll coming up.

Not from me... I'm too lazy. :lol:

Back