• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What defensive group is most important vs VA?

JayLarson

Was just thinking about this, is it the D line, getting pressure and still keeping contain on him when he runs. Is it the linebackers who are going to have to drop back and cover and then step up and make a play. Or is it the secondary, who has to cover the receivers and also make tackles if he gets past the linebackers. I am thinking our linebackers will be most important, they have to make sure they put some hard hits on Adams and pound him into the ground. I would think some blitzes up the middle could be beneficial today. I am interested to see your comments, as the only experience I have with defending a running quarterback is playing video games. (I played six man in HS and the QB can't run past the los)

Following the coach's call, All 11 must do there job well, and be in constant communication. If 1 or 2 or 3 deviate or breakdown, there is a chance for a big play.

... Eastern Washington sophomore signal caller Vernon Adams Jr. is arguably the most valuable player in the Big Sky. Seven weeks ago he fired the shot heard ’round the FCS ranks when he guided EWU to a 49-46 victory at Oregon State, an FBS team ranked No. 25 at the time.

What makes Adams so hard to stop is his rare quickness and ability to escape tough situations. That and his passing accuracy – he leads the FCS in efficiency.

“I think the big thing for us, especially as a D-line, will just be caging him up, making sure he doesn’t have a lane to escape through,” Bienemann said. “This week it’s going to be all about closing everything down at the same time and making sure he has nowhere so he either has to take a sack or make a bad throw.”

Adams has thrown six interceptions this season, including two in league play. But the SoCal native has been clutch under pressure, with his Eagles converting on 21 of 37 third-down attempts in conference play.

“We’ve done some things well but we’ve done some things we need to improve on,” said Eastern skipper Beau Baldwin, the Big Sky’s coach of the year in 2012. “That Montana defense returns so many guys that played last year and you just see them growing together as a unit. They understand their responsibilities so they don’t get themselves out of position.

Proud Griz Man said:
Following the coach's call, All 11 must do there job well, and be in constant communication. If 1 or 2 or 3 deviate or breakdown, there is a chance for a big play.

... Eastern Washington sophomore signal caller Vernon Adams Jr. is arguably the most valuable player in the Big Sky. Seven weeks ago he fired the shot heard ’round the FCS ranks when he guided EWU to a 49-46 victory at Oregon State, an FBS team ranked No. 25 at the time.

What makes Adams so hard to stop is his rare quickness and ability to escape tough situations. That and his passing accuracy – he leads the FCS in efficiency.

“I think the big thing for us, especially as a D-line, will just be caging him up, making sure he doesn’t have a lane to escape through,” Bienemann said. “This week it’s going to be all about closing everything down at the same time and making sure he has nowhere so he either has to take a sack or make a bad throw.”

Adams has thrown six interceptions this season, including two in league play. But the SoCal native has been clutch under pressure, with his Eagles converting on 21 of 37 third-down attempts in conference play.

“We’ve done some things well but we’ve done some things we need to improve on,” said Eastern skipper Beau Baldwin, the Big Sky’s coach of the year in 2012. “That Montana defense returns so many guys that played last year and you just see them growing together as a unit. They understand their responsibilities so they don’t get themselves out of position.

That is about as good an answer there is. He can hurt you in so many ways. They are going to get their points. I think the issue is can the Griz score 30+ points? They couldn't against NAU or Cal Poly, the two best teams they faced. EWU has given up points to good teams but scored 34+ on everyone except Toledo.

Griz can't fall behind. They have to have a great first quarter.

Just the way I see it, but I could be totally wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

D-line....pressure without having to blitz, eat up offensive line so backers can stuff the run.

Back