• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What are the playof chances for the Griz....

WYOBISONMAN

DONOR
Do the Griz need to run the rest of the schedule to make the playoffs and if you run the rest of the schedule is it a sure thing to make them?

The Bison will need to run the rest of thier schedule to make it. We lost to UND in overtime on Saturday. They have the ability to do so if they can get the offense to play the whole game.

If ISU wins all but their game with NAU, then the Griz must win out and could win the BSC. If ISU wins out and the Griz win out then they would be co-champions of the BSC with the Griz but ISU would get the auto bid because of the tie breaker win against the Griz. It just seems that if the Griz are going to get in the playoffs, they cannot afford to have three loses. But three loss teams have gotten a bid in the past. It would be hard to have three losses and be third in the BSC and get a bid.

Here what I see for the Griz and the playoffs.

1. If the Griz win out. Definitly in and will be a TOP 4 seed.

2. If the Griz lose 1 more they will be in. Seeding depends somewhat on when it happens.
a. Lose to PSU, Sac St, EWU, or MSU would mean a 9-16 seed. Probably in the 10-13 range.
b. Lose to NAU Griz have a chance to be in the top 8 and will host a game.
There are still 5 weeks to go in the season and many ranked matchups still need to be played. These will all affect the Griz.
#2 Villanova must play UMass, @Maine, and Deleware
#3 Deleware - @Navy, @Northeastern, UMass, @Villanova
#4 S. Illinois - @WKU, Youngstown, @N. Iowa
#5 UMass - @Villanova, @Deleware, URI
#6 Wofford - ASU, @Citadel, @Furman
#7 W. Ill - N. Iowa
#8 W. Kentucky - S. Ill., N. Iowa, @Youngstown
#9 N. Iowa - @W. Ill, Youngstown, @WKU, S. Ill
#10 NAU - @MSU, UM, ISU
#11 BCC - NC A&T, Hampton, FAMU

3. If the Griz lose 2 more they will be out. No team with 4 losses will be in the playoffs without winning their conference.

Everyone that is saying the Griz won't make the playoffs needs to relax a little. The Griz still have it in their control to make the playoffs. They don't need anyone else's help. Am I predicting they will make it? At this time yes. Am I sure, no. But, they definitly have the RIGHT PLAYER, the RIGHT COACHES and the HEART to run the table.

GO GRIZ!!!

I think it is highly likely that the Griz make the playoffs this year if they do no worse than one more loss. 2 more losses and I'd say no way, but a 3 loss Griz team (especially if 3rd loss was at NAU) would be difficult to keep from the playoffs regardless of what NAU and ISU do.

Take a look at the current poll. Many of the teams behind the Griz, who would presumably have to pass the Griz in order to make playoffs (I realize the polls don't decide who makes it, but let's assume it's the best indicator right now) either 1. don't particpate in the playoffs (Grambling, Southern, Penn, Harvard) or 2. already have 3 losses (GA Southern, Furman) and are unlikely not to have 4 by seasons end. GSU and Furman must still play each other so it is a guarantee one will lose at least 4 games.

So, the Griz would need to fall 5 spots from their current position and be passed by teams like Hampton, North Carolina A&T (who must still play each other and BCC), Fordham, Lehigh (who both still have to play Colgate and it's very unlikely that the Patriot league will get 2 bids) or the 4th team in the A10. We've already beat Maine and all but top 3 already have 3 losses.

Six teams with 3 losses got at-large bids last year, including national champs Western KY. I think a 3 loss Griz team makes it fairly easily, though I'd prefer not to be tested. Winning out may result in a top 4 seed, but it would take some luck with current top teams beating each other or losing unexpectedly.

To do well in the playoffs, and in fact to only lose one more conf game, the Griz obviously must improve consistency on both sides of the ball.

RockyMtnGriz said:
Here what I see for the Griz and the playoffs.

1. If the Griz win out. Definitly in and will be a TOP 4 seed.

2. If the Griz lose 1 more they will be in. Seeding depends somewhat on when it happens.
a. Lose to PSU, Sac St, EWU, or MSU would mean a 9-16 seed. Probably in the 10-13 range.
b. Lose to NAU Griz have a chance to be in the top 8 and will host a game.
There are still 5 weeks to go in the season and many ranked matchups still need to be played. These will all affect the Griz.
#2 Villanova must play UMass, @Maine, and Deleware
#3 Deleware - @Navy, @Northeastern, UMass, @Villanova
#4 S. Illinois - @WKU, Youngstown, @N. Iowa
#5 UMass - @Villanova, @Deleware, URI
#6 Wofford - ASU, @Citadel, @Furman
#7 W. Ill - N. Iowa
#8 W. Kentucky - S. Ill., N. Iowa, @Youngstown
#9 N. Iowa - @W. Ill, Youngstown, @WKU, S. Ill
#10 NAU - @MSU, UM, ISU
#11 BCC - NC A&T, Hampton, FAMU

3. If the Griz lose 2 more they will be out. No team with 4 losses will be in the playoffs without winning their conference.

Everyone that is saying the Griz won't make the playoffs needs to relax a little. The Griz still have it in their control to make the playoffs. They don't need anyone else's help. Am I predicting they will make it? At this time yes. Am I sure, no. But, they definitly have the RIGHT PLAYER, the RIGHT COACHES and the HEART to run the table.

GO GRIZ!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong. But we went 8-4 in both 1997 and 1998 and we were in the playoffs both years. The BSC only got two seeds.

This year, it's shaping up that the BSC might get three. I say at 8-4 we get the 3rd seed from the BSC and play at McNeese to start the playoffs where we pull off a shocking upset.

You are not correct. In both years the Griz were 8-3 in the regular season, with first round playoff losses(WIU in 98, and McSU in 97). EWU was the champ in 97 @ 7-1. 98 was the year when the Griz needed Cal Northridge to lose in their last game against Portland St. to win the BSC championship. They did lose so the Griz won the BSC championship.

Griz win out and anybody else beats ISU, Griz win automatic bid. That is a given.

But the way I see it, Griz are just to far down now to be able to earn a fourth seed. Losing to a division II team is BAD. If you think I am wrong, than you have to find an exception where a previous fourth seed lost to a division II team in the same year with two or more losses. Heck, if Griz didn't lose to ISU, then I would say Griz have a decent chance at a 4th seed or higher. But not anymore.

But if Griz win out, they will host at least one game in the playoffs. If Griz lose a game, Griz will have to rely on what other teams, both inside the Big Sky and outside, do to earn a spot in the playoffs. Our stadium and the attendance will be in our favor here if the Griz lose another game, Money does talk. But another loss, Griz lose guarantee of being in the playoffs. All because of that division II loss. Playing a division II game never helps, but can hurt a team. Hogan needs to discontinue scheduling them.

Yes, and NDSU losing to UND did not help your cause at all. I am surprised that a team with 3 or 4 losses can get into the playoffs. It looks this year like 3 losses will be the kiss of death for the D2 playoffs.....so NDSU can't blow anymore games.

WYOBISONMAN said:
Yes, and NDSU losing to UND did not help your cause at all. I am surprised that a team with 3 or 4 losses can get into the playoffs. It looks this year like 3 losses will be the kiss of death for the D2 playoffs.....so NDSU can't blow anymore games.

I think this is the first year that the Big Sky has been regaurded as one of the toughest conferances in the country. The Big Sky teams have been beating up on eachother this year.

I saw your game against UND. I have a friend attending school there. We're both from Montana and both graduated from U of M, but obviously he follows the Sioux, since he is going to school there now. Anyhow, he brought up the question of "could the Sioux beat the Griz this year?" Obviously our loss to NDSU wouldn't give me a strong arguement for NO. I'd say 9 out of 10 we'd win though. I'm not even sure how to gauge our team this year. It's been a rollercoaster of different looks from different positions, players, and the Offense and Defense all year. I don't know what to expect from game to game. Just when you think we have one weakness that gets fixed, but it seems another area has to go in after another is fixed.

Overall I think the Griz have really improved.

It is highly likely that the BSC will have three seeds this year. Depending on some other things of course, it's entirely possible that the Griz Cat game could determine who gets the third seed for the BSC.

grizfromhel said:
It is highly likely that the BSC will have three seeds this year. Depending on some other things of course, it's entirely possible that the Griz Cat game could determine who gets the third seed for the BSC.

The Griz - Cat game will more likely determine whether the Griz could be the third seed. Cat's have dug themselves a deeper hole than the Grizzlies. With 4 losses, they are out of contention for an at large bid.

The Cat's BIG game is this week. Lose and they will need to win the Big Sky Championship to make it into the playoffs. And with two losses, that could very well leave them out of contention for the Big Sky Conference title. This game will be important only to keep them in contention for Big Sky title.

Back