• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weber got absolutely hosed!

With the Griz receiveing a 13 seed, I had assumed that the NCAA selection committee was beginning to give a little respect to the Big Sky. Therefore, much like most of us, I thought Weber would be a no brainer to get an invite to the NIT. Boasting a 26-6 record, with 2 loses to the outright conference champ, an RPI ranking of of 92 and a 302 strength of schedule (probably what did it), I thought they would be a shoe in. There are about 20 teams that I can logically say, "OK, they are better than Weber". However, on any given day, they have as good of a chance as any other Cinderella team. Here are some teams that have no business taking Weber's place that were invited to the NIT

Team Record RPI Strength of Schedule
Weber 26-6 92 302
Long Beach St. 17-13 118 115
Robert Morris 23-10 121 296
Charleston Southern 16-12 191 295
Mercer 21-11 140 284
San Francisco 15-16 166 113
Norfolk 21-11 177 342

Pretty biased if you ask me....
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket/_/id/145/2013-national-invitational-tournament" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Agree 100%... The biggest laugh is Norfolk... wtf? Can't say it's east coast bias though because Weber St has a way, way better basketball rep in the East than Norfolk. Probably some one in the NIT selection process had ties to Norfolk.

Wait, after looking at the brackets... Guess who UVA plays at home in the 1st round??? You guessed it, another Virginia team!

I don't know why San Fran, if that's true, but all those other teams were auto-bids for winning their regular season. In fact, Norfolk was 16-0 in conference. That's why they are in and not wsu.

Griz Grad 47 said:
With the Griz receiveing a 13 seed, I had assumed that the NCAA selection committee was beginning to give a little respect to the Big Sky. Therefore, much like most of us, I thought Weber would be a no brainer to get an invite to the NIT. Boasting a 26-6 record, with 2 loses to the outright conference champ, an RPI ranking of of 92 and a 302 strength of schedule (probably what did it), I thought they would be a shoe in. There are about 20 teams that I can logically say, "OK, they are better than Weber". However, on any given day, they have as good of a chance as any other Cinderella team. Here are some teams that have no business taking Weber's place that were invited to the NIT

Team Record RPI Strength of Schedule
Weber 26-6 92 302
Long Beach St. 17-13 118 115
Robert Morris 23-10 121 296
Charleston Southern 16-12 191 295
Mercer 21-11 140 284
San Francisco 15-16 166 113
Norfolk 21-11 177 342

Pretty biased if you ask me....
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket/_/id/145/2013-national-invitational-tournament" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, Everyone you listed there except San Francisco (And Weber) won their regular season conference title. That is why they are in the NIT and Weber is not. Should the SF Dawns be in there over Weber. No, not a chance, but they are also from a better conference and I imagine that is a good reason why they are in and not Weber. You can't complain that the conference winners are in aside from them not winning their conf. tourney.

GK19 said:
I don't know why San Fran, if that's true, but all those other teams were auto-bids for winning their regular season. In fact, Norfolk was 16-0 in conference. That's why they are in and not wsu.

Ha Clicked submit right before me! Sneaky bastard. But, yeah, the Dawns don't deserve that spot. Weber is head and shoulders better than them.

If the original poster knew much about college hoops he would realize that SFA is not San Francisco but Stephen F. Austin. SFA got an NIT auto-bid by virtue of being a regular season conference champion. San Francisco is not even eligible for the NIT because they have a losing record.

Unwrittengriz said:
... Stephen F. Austin ... got an NIT auto-bid by virtue of being a regular season conference champion. ...
That's the rule ... regular season champions who get bumped in their tournament, and don't get a NCAA bid, are "automatic qualifiers" for the NIT. That gives the NCAA selection committee an "out" when teams with a bunch of wins don't make it through their tournaments.

NIT auto-qualifiers: Stony Brook (Am East), Mercer* (Atl Sun), Charleston So (Big South), Long Beach State (Big West), Northeastern (CAA), Niagara (Metro Atl), Norfolk State (MEAC), Robert Morris (Northeast), Stephen F. Austin (Southland), and Louisiana Tech (WAC). That's ten of the 32 slots taken up by auto-qualifiers -- mostly from weak-sister conferences.
* Tied for conference championship, seeded number one in its tournament.

Although I too wanted Weber to get into the NIT, when you look at the 22 at-large selections, it gets a lot harder to make a case. Only Washington State had a higher RPI, and they had a much, much better SOS. In fact, Weber had by far the worst SOS (#312 vs 172 for Ohio U.). So if Weber got hosed, it was by the rule that allows "winners" from s**t conferences to have automatic bids.

Unwrittengriz said:
If the original poster knew much about college hoops he would realize that SFA is not San Francisco but Stephen F. Austin. SFA got an NIT auto-bid by virtue of being a regular season conference champion. San Francisco is not even eligible for the NIT because they have a losing record.

Hahahaha. I just believed what he was saying cuz I didn't care to look up the nit macth ups. SFA makes so much more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Back